Graphic Cards 8800GT PSU Requirment?

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
Alright I am just looking forward to this card as I know sooner or later my 7900GT would choke on 1280x1024 resolutions.So looking at my current rig would it suffice in terms of Power requirements for an MSI OC edition of 8800GT? Or would it way too low?

Just curios to know this as would fall for this card sooner or later.

Yes, your PSU would suffice for the power requirements of your PC but its always advisable to go for a more reliable PSU, though Powersafe is certainly way better than Generic but a corsair 450W would be more reliable than your present PSU.

Overclocking is a far cry & would never plan to do it.:bleh:

Would plan to use it at default but need confirmation that it would work with the below mentioned configuration & mind you I have a total of 2 HDD's & currently am connecting the 7900GT via the 4 pin molex connector to supply additional power.Would that be the same pin which would be required for the 8800 as well or will it require something additional?

Ethan_Hunt said:
Overclocking is a far cry & would never plan to do it.:bleh:

Would plan to use it at default but need confirmation that it would work with the below mentioned configuration & mind you I have a total of 2 HDD's & currently am connecting the 7900GT via the 4 pin molex connector to supply additional power.Would that be the same pin which would be required for the 8800 as well or will it require something additional?

As mentioned as far as power requirements are concerned, your PSU is enough even for decent overclocking.
but for the connector are you using a converter??? since graphic cards do not use molex connector.

I'm not sure what it's called but it's a cable from the PSU which has four rectangular ends to it & connects to my graphic card.Not sure if it's the molex connector or the 4-pin PCI-E connector or something like that? :S

just reconfirm that ur motherboard is in the supported mobo's list since 8800gt has a few problems with older mobos since they all support only 1.1Pcie whereas the 8800gt is a 2.0Pcie

@Satan:What's your full configuration? Also what's the current cost of the card? Will my CPU by any chance bottleneck the card?

Again,how do I check if my motherboard is compatible with this card or not?

Hey guys reviving this thread as I tried to hunt for my motheboard's compatibilty with this card but came up with zero results.Now can someone please tell me how to get rid of this PCI-E 2.0 confusion? :S

How can I know if this card will work on my motherboard?

well as such , no definite methods except a trial and error.......see if u can borrow a card for testing before u purchase one........Where do u stay

AFAIK PCIe 2.0 is completely backwards compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0, and vice versa

Mumbai.Now this would be a gamble.I just have one friend who owns an 8800GT but he is from Thane.So no way will this task be physically be possible.:(

there are two things, PCIe 1.0a and PCIe 1.1, google n check which one supports n which one doesnt ;) its one or the other. AFAIK, 1.1 is ok. Just google n make sure once tho :D

Picked it up from the EVGA forums :)

Back