Audio A Compendium of Audio Zone Reviews and Rankings: IEMs, Headphones & Sources

Re: A Compendium of Audio Zone Reviews and Rankings: IEMs, Headphones & Sources

Thanks to BennyBrendon , I have my hands on the CK10 and SM3 . Before trying out , I felt I am gonna love the CK10 more but things turned out to be different.

CK10- very weird /thin and flat bass - more like typical BA bass of PL-50 . Didn't like it so much . Very clear and neutral like midrange which I liked . Extremely detailed but a little hot / sibilant treble . Amazing 3D-ish soundstage -one of the best in top-tiers.

SM3 - flimsy build quality(too scared to even handle them :p ). Perfect bass - goes low , has good midbass .Slightly high in quantity and can get a little lose at times. Beautiful forward midrange , vocals are blisss :D Inspite of being mid-oriented the IEM doesn't really isolate the mids like RE-262 or RE-1 does. The treble is also perfectly extended and detailed. Not too laidback or as hot as the CK10 treble. Soundstage is really good if not the best . Needless to say I am in love with the SM3 but not sure if its price is justified :ashamed: .

*Initial impressions involving only 30-45 mins of listening with each IEM . Impressions are subject to change without notice as result of more listening :p *

Where to buy the SM3 from? Also, SM2 and SM3 seem to be quite similar but there is a significant price difference between the two, any reasons why?

I hope your wearing the CK10's over the ear. I did not get any bass due to the improper seal when I wore it down, but when I wore it over and around the ear, I got very fast, punchy bass which extended very low. Although the bass quantity is not much but the quality is superb.

BF1983 said:
1. Earsonics SM3

2. Audio Technica CK10

I am not the least bit surprised by the first, but I am surprised that you liked CK10 more than all the others :)
Mephistopheles said:
Where to buy the SM3 from? Also, SM2 and SM3 seem to be quite similar but there is a significant price difference between the two, any reasons why?

No! SM2 and SM3 don't sound too alike. The best way to buy is through somebody coming from the US or ask benny to keep watch for a deal. He seems to get the best deals around :p
bennysachdev said:
I hope your wearing the CK10's over the ear. I did not get any bass due to the improper seal when I wore it down, but when I wore it over and around the ear, I got very fast, punchy bass which extended very low. Although the bass quantity is not much but the quality is superb.
+1 to that. All CK10 needs is a boost in bass and a dip in 10-12Khz to sound flat.

I have recently bought shure se535, these the best earphones that you can get. i have used sm3, shure425, re262, shure se535 is way better than any of these.

Since there are new IEMs that come out every day, I never got tempted to buy the IE8. But I am sure it's a good IEM, good enough to be ranked among the top-tiers. You can always write about IE8 or you can send me a loaner anytime :p

Some additions, some changes in the last two months in the first post :)

Wonderful wonderful review. Thanks.

Now one small questions: I have a PL-30 and I just ordered a Clip Zip. Are there any IEMs which are better than PL-30 in the budget section? I like my PL-30 but with my Nokia 5800XM atleast they sound a little shallow sometimes. The bass doesn't sound right many times. Maybe they will sound better with the Clip zip.

I think iaudio has already answered your question in the other thread :)

Depends a lot on your budget and whether you want to source it locally with warranty or can get it from abroad like Clip Zip. Other things include your sound signature preferences / music. Better start a new thread - more visibility and more help :)

Thanks Santhosh. I will be getting them from Amarbir and thankfully he has lots of demo pieces at his shop. BTW, my budget will be 2-3K.

One more thing. Is it possible to be satisfied with your IEM if you are ready to spend 4-5K on them once and for all. Santhosh and Fah33m own so many IEMs that it makes me wonder that it is not even possible to be happy with IEMs. Is there any IEM I can buy under 4-5K and then think that I have now got really good IEMs and I can now spend my time and energy in exploring great music rather than constantly upgrading my ear phones?

Long back... If I remember correctly, a short while before or around 1st week of September. Because I remember when mukul posted this in Random IEM thread, it was already on top.

Didn't find the need to start a new thread, so posting here. I hope this is the right place.

Finally have my hands on the V-Moda v80. These are on ears & are quite small.

The build quality is almost reference for portables....lots of metal used.

Comfort- The pads are quite small, so its quite a challenge to get good fit. Over comfort is average at least for me as i have large ears.

Sound quality- These do not require any burn in. Overall sound is quite airy with fairly tight bass, forward mids & a very flat treble response with no spikes. These sound really beautiful with non bass heavy tracks.

The resolution & definition is significantly better than the Shure750DJ(another headphone i own). These just kill the shures in terms of clarity & treble quality. Lower mids are more forward, airy although definition is better on shures. Upper mids are much better than shures(these have some spike in upper mids) with very nice texture, definition & clarity.

For bass the 750dj walks over V80. There is no competition. Depth, resolution, impact & extension are so much better on the shures. V80's bass isn't bad & remains quite textured & detailed at low volumes. But anything loud & the drivers run out of breath. But i strongly believe this is very much due to the fact that i've never been able to get a good fit with these & there is always a gap between the cups & my ears. With improper seal , bass is likely to suffer. But still i have a feeling , even with proper fit 750DJ's bass is hard to beat.

SS on V80 has really good depth & is very airy. Although LR separation is noticeably wider on 750DJ. Imaging is also bit better on the shures as they reproduce sound on a larger canvas mostly due to larger 50mm driver comparedto 40mm of the V80.

Conclusion - In the first place i wanted something with better refinement & the V80 are definitely a class above the shures in overall sound.

Compositions used:

Angel Tears, Oliver Shanti, Buddha Bar, Gareth Emery - Sound of Garuda Chapter2, Karsh Kale - Cinema, Best of Ethnic lounge 2011, Matrix rev. OST etc

Here's a pic:

oyster150
[/url][/IMG]

Good review, good headphone comes with good accessories. may i know the price that you have paid.

Most for the Compositions you have used are lounge/fusion, are you into lounge/fusion , Asian underground music.

Oyster said:
Didn't find the need to start a new thread, so posting here. I hope this is the right place.

There's no right or wrong place here as long as it's read :)

But, the http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/random-iem-headphone-rants-184372.html would have been even better as it's meant for such random one post impressions which may not need a separate thread.

I paid $200. I've lots of friends in Texas & Germany. I had asked one of them to get me these. Else there are so many hassles of going through duty, taxes & what not.
& yes i am very much into lounge, trance, ethnic, underground and OSTs.
These headphones are really good, but the small size of enclosure & drivers do have some drawbacks. If it not were the loose bass they would've been a tremendous choice.

i guess none of u have heard the sennehiser IE80 ??

well in my list no. 1 is

1- Sennheiser IE80

:

:

:

20- turbine pro gold

25- m3

40-bose IE2

well will fill in the blanks as i hear more n more of them
<

Tentatively added Tandem and DBA-02 MKII to the list.

I still have a long wish list. But unlike before, this is not a "To buy" list, rather a "Would love to try out" list....

My wish list among customs is restricted to Hidition NT6, Spiral Ears SE-5 way, UM Miracle

My wish list among universals: AKG K3003, PFE-232, CK100Pro, FI-BA-SS, SE535 LE, UM3X, W4, IE8/IE80, ER4S

My wish list among headphones: Beyerdynamic T1, LCD2 Rev 2, Hifiman HE-500

Back