Audio A Compendium of Audio Zone Reviews and Rankings: IEMs, Headphones & Sources

Re: A Compendium of Audio Zone Reviews and Rankings: IEMs, Headphones & Sources

Now after buying another headphone, I feel there should be another thread for just headphones, a compression of various reviews and a Random HP rant thread ;) What say guys?

A ranking / review link for headphones is ok. But since the Random thread is titled "Random IEM / Headphone Rants", I guess we can continue random rants in the same thread.

I'll post my opinions here then,

My newest addition to the stable is the HD25-1 II from Senns.

For first impressions and comparisons, I can only compare them to the D5000 at the moment. Reason being the M50's are with a friend and the Grado's are, well, the Grado's. They aren't of the same kind to begin with(open backs), it will be like comparing strawberries with mangoes.

Compared to the D5000, these have more bass punch or more bass quantity. The denons obviously have more bass quality.

The denons have a better more clearer treble than the HD25-1 II. It extends much higher and is more crisp than the HD25-1 II.

The sound stage of the HD25-1 II is more in terms of height, but lacks in width and depth.

Mids are smoother in the Denons but a tad recessed in comparison, more forward in the HD25-1 II, the HD25-1 II have a truely amazing presentation of the vocals, rock lovers will really enjoy this. The sound of the guitar is fuller with an amazingly heavy sound on the bass guitar and a not too bright sound on the acoustic and the electric guitar. (Waiting on the world to change - John Mayer).

Let's try a different track now shall we, with the same recording quality, hence the same album.

(Gravity - John Mayer)

The hit of the drums at the beginning of the track is heavy and punchy. It really brings out the forte of the HD25-1 II. The bass doesn't extend really deep but gives enough punch to satisfy. With the Denons, the same track sounds more controlled and refined, more smoother bass rather than the punchy HD25-1 II. More subbass with the Denons, the bass definitely extends lower compared to the HD25-1 II. The denons definately do have a more beautiful vocal presentation on this track.

On a whole, the HD25-1 II really do shine with Rock music, no doubts, i'm truely satisfied, atleast my portable rock music listening side is. ;)

Let's see how they do with a more real world scenario, EDM :)

(Teenage Crime - Adrian Lux(Axwell & Henrik B Remode)) & (Sun and Moon - Above and Beyond(Dennis Sheperd Remix))

The forward mids of the HD25-1 II definitely makes the HD25-1 II sound more aggressive and more fun for this genre. The smoother mids, more controlled bass and a relaxed nature of the D5000 makes it less fatiguing, less aggressive, more calmer and more neutral sounding. The D5000 has a much bigger soundstage which is clearly evident with Sun and Moon rather than Teenage Crime. The HD25-1 II sounds more punchy when compared to the same. The D5000 has a more treble presence than the HD25-1 II. The instrument separation and imagining sounds very slightly better with the D5000 rather than the HD25-1 II. Soundstaging wise the D5000 is much better as it is less closed sounding compared to the HD25-1 II. The HD25-1 II is a bass heads dream come true with quality and quantity without sounding boomy or uncontrolled. The D5000 is a bassheads dream come true with sheer Quality with more control on the quantity and more extension in the lower regions.

Overall where the HD25-1 II really beats the D5000 is the price, portability, durability, comfort and isolation.

To summarize it, i would say the D5000 makes EDM sound more audiophile like and the HD25-1 II is more fun to listen to. Cheers!

^Seems like something I would be interested in, although except the soundstage part and the part where you say it has more bass quantity then D5k.

Something having more bass than a stock D5000 :O Damn that's too much bass !!

More upper bass and less lower bass to be precise. What I meant is you will find more fast punchy beats and less of the sub bass compared to the D5000s.

Making then ideal for Dj headphones as clubs have plenty of sub bass generated from bass tubes and sub woofers. A Dj can not tell the difference between what his body feels with this sub bass and the one from the headphones(if there is a lotta sub bass generated as it is in clubs these days), the upper bass is more audible than felt, which is what the HD25 has. More audible bass. Also the mids are forward for the same reason(more Grado sr80i like than any sennheiser). Treble is a tad recessed from the d5k and the m50 from what I remember from memory, making these less fatiguing.

At the end of the day, I would recommend these to someone who listens to fast paced music, someone who doesn't already have a warm sounding Dac, someone who loves beats more than treble and someone who wants something durable and portable, doesn't mind paying a lil extra(compared to the m50) or already has a m50 and wants to go a step higher.

Price wise they cost the same as a D2000. Putting all technicalities aside, Tbh technically these may not be the best but I would definately go for these in comparison. The sounds is just that Addictive!!!!

I have owned many low budget IEMs so far. Here is my personal rankings of those based on SQ.

1) Brainwavz B2

2) Visonic GR07

3) Brainwavz M3

4) Brainwavz M1

5) Meelectronics M6

6) Melectronics M11+

7) Melectronics M9

8) Soundmagic PL30 (My friend owns this)

9) Soundmagic PL11

10) Creative EP 630

My review of Brainwavz M3

Why so many low budget iems nizarp? Your gonna listen to one at any given point of time anyways.

nizarp said:
I have owned many low budget IEMs so far. Here is my personal rankings of those based on SQ.

1) Brainwavz M3

2) Brainwavz M1

3) Meelectronics M6

4) Melectronics M11+

5) Melectronics M9

6) Soundmagic PL30 (My friend owns this)

7) Soundmagic PL11

8) Creative EP 630
You bought a S:Flo just for these? Are you able to get any improvement in SQ via S:Flo over Clip+?

bennysachdev said:
Why so many low budget iems nizarp? Your gonna listen to one at any given point of time anyways.
Its not that I use all of them right now. I have sold most of them except the M1 and M3. Also I didn't buy the meelec M6 and M11+, I got them in a facebook contest. I am also going to get a Brainwavz M2 very soon, I ordered it for $5 using the April fool's deal. :)

Mephistopheles said:
You bought a S:Flo just for these? Are you able to get any improvement in SQ via S:Flo over Clip+?

I actually purchased the S:Flo considering the video playback capability. But later I brought the Clip+ for using when I travel. I didn't find any major improvement in SQ than clip+ with any of these phones. But they both have a different sound signature, sometimes I prefer the warmness of Clip+ and sometimes the cold and analytical sound of SFlo depends on my mood. So I keep them both. :)

Sounds cool. I din't know the April fool deal for the M2 for 5$ was actually real. Lol.

M2 for 5$ :O When ? Where ? How ?

FaH33m said:
M2 for 5$ :O When ? Where ? How ?
I got the coupon codes in my mail from mp4nation on April 2. They have sent two coupons for the deal on the same day. The coupons were valid for only the first 5 users. There was many other deals as well like B2 for $99, M3 for $49 etc... I think you have missed it. :(

nizarp said:

1) Brainwavz M3

2) Brainwavz M1

3) Meelectronics M6

4) Melectronics M11+

5) Melectronics M9

6) Soundmagic PL30 (My friend owns this)

7) Soundmagic PL11

8) Creative EP 630

My review of Brainwavz M3
Boss ,

M6 Better Then The M11+

BF1983 said:
1. Earsonics SM3
2. Audio Technica CK10
3. Head-direct RE262 (amped)
4. Head-direct RE1 (amped)
5. TF10

Woaaaahh!! can't believe so many ppl rate the sm3 as the best. It's amazing how everyone hates these earphones the first time and then completely loves it after a while.

I still haven't got to try them yet . Now I want to try them so badly .Brendon !!!

I had a word with brendon as to how did he find them, and it was clear that he would like the sm3 since he generally likes mid-centric iems like the re1, re262 and the hd650. What I did not expect was him rating the CK10 as the contender, a treble happy analytical iem. ;)

^^ Well the other treble happy IEMs that I tried were the PFE and the RE0. I also rated the PFE very high as I liked the mids of the PFE but it had a closed soundstage and the bass was lacking IMO. The RE0 simply had too dry mids and iffy soundstage for my tastes which made me drop them low on the list.

The CK10 had superb treble which I felt was a step above even the PFE and RE0 and it had something both of the above 2 IEMs lacked - soundstage. The soundstage, imaging, instrument separation were all class leading and definitely right up there with the best of the best in the universal IEM world. (It beats my current champ the RE1 pretty comfortably. :( )Of course the 10khz spike does bother me no end but with a little EQ its fixable. :)

Back