A Facebook Privacy Query!

W@rrier

Adept
Hi guys,

A friend of mine recently changed her Profile pic, which got a large no. of likes on Facebook.
The problem is , somehow, a Friend of her friend was able to share that pic of hers. She got a notification from fb too, that "XYZ shared your picture".
We took down the pic, but how can we make sure that this doesnt happen again ?What changes in the privacy settings would do the trick ? I have been tinkering with the settings for a day and i reached nowhere, other than making the profile pic visible to just friends, i dont see another option. :(

If anyone has any input, would be appreciated :)

TIA

Its one of the weird feature of FB , you have get your notification disabled by all your friends so everyone in your friends list has to do Do not share in your profile.It would be better if someone puts a pic of it.

How does advising the OP to tell his friend to delete the account solve any problem?
Getting off a social network because a few jerks are on your list/friends' lists, doesnt mean you should hide and cover your head with a burqa.
Getting this sort of a reply from techies on a tech question is really bad.

OP, I do not know the settings, and i must say FB settings are the worst i've ever seen on any application.
I believe your way of making the profile pic only visible to friends is the only option.

You should disable sharing content with "Friends of Friends" and only enable it to "Friends", and perhaps use a "Restricted" filter too to keep content of those friends who you would like to have in friend list, but not share anything personally with.

Getting off a social network because a few jerks are on your list/friends' lists, doesnt mean you should hide and cover your head with a burqa.

I believe your way of making the profile pic only visible to friends is the only option.
I don't see any difference between the above two lines.

Getting this sort of a reply from techies on a tech question is really bad.
The suggestion was given because I found out that there is no way you can keep your private things private on a social network without "hiding in a burqa"

I would even give the same suggestion when someone asks me about hiding some personal stuff on a cloud based service. say google drive.

I think its too much of social networking that's making you a drama queen. :p

actually facebook is platform where people open out themselves for introspection/stalking .

so being minimal in sharing or sending pics through messages can be the only option.

because i see notifications of the friends activity too on my news feed. (EG. things my friends have liked , have commented and so on).

so if one needs to be private, then do it the private way.

Well, in short,
there is nothing much that i can do to make Non-friends not share pics that mutual friends have liked ? :/
That sucks.
Whats the point of Facebook talking so heavily of Privacy, if they dont have an option to stop this :(

Quitting social network is not an option, In this age, if u are not active on social network, U lose on a lot of stuff happening around with your friends and family.

I guess it's the same in real life too, if you mail your friend a pic of yours to see, he might show it to someone else too.

But the problem with Facebook is that, it gets automatically shared with all of yourfriends and also shows up on the "creeper-bar" on the right for his friends to see when he likes or comments, and it may even show up in their feeds. Multiply the few friends who participate and their friends, and you already have thousands who could potentially see your updates even without you knowing. With only 2-degrees of friends it gets into the thousands territory, and it will reach lakhs if you consider 3-degrees.

Social networking is complex and frightful for our privacy, but is interesting if you're studying it. I guess the only way to have some decent amount of privacy is not to share anything personal at all, don't like or comment on anything unless when it is absolutely necessary, and add only friends and family that you absolutely trust.

I have seen people sharing really ridiculous personal photos (yes my cousins and relatives). Lol at photos like "I had this in lunch today...." WTF :mad:
Damn i need to convince my wife to delete my FB account.

I have seen people sharing really ridiculous personal photos (yes my cousins and relatives). Lol at photos like "I had this in lunch today...." WTF :mad:
Damn i need to convince my wife to delete my FB account.

2.png

funny-painting-food-Instagram.jpg

That why I am not on FB. I know a couple who started quarelling over an FB comment. All the guys freinds started supporting him and al the girls freind started supporting her, and it went on almost to the point of Divorce. Finally the matter was put to rest by both of their parents and they were asked to delete their FB accounts!

Remember if you are on FB - there is NO privacy. People can also read your chat with someone eles, if you have not made the correct"privacy" settings! FB acounts are never deleted; they are only deactivated. Your data is always there somewhere out in the universe for Uncle Sam to do whatever he wants to do with people "likes" and "dislikes"!

I don't see any difference between the above two lines.

The first line was about the people on lists, and the second line was about the settings of an account.
Blame fb for making us classify our friends on an application.

The suggestion was given because I found out that there is no way you can keep your private things private on a social network without "hiding in a burqa"

I would even give the same suggestion when someone asks me about hiding some personal stuff on a cloud based service. say google drive.

I think its too much of social networking that's making you a drama queen. :p

So since black film is banned from being used on car windows, i'd assume you'd stop using a car? you'd instead try a lighter shade!
There are ways to keep an online presence without hiding your head. Its all about learning about the settings of any service. Unfortunately fb sucks at settings.

That why I am not on FB. I know a couple who started quarelling over an FB comment. All the guys freinds started supporting him and al the girls freind started supporting her, and it went on almost to the point of Divorce. Finally the matter was put to rest by both of their parents and they were asked to delete their FB accounts!

Remember if you are on FB - there is NO privacy. People can also read your chat with someone eles, if you have not made the correct"privacy" settings! FB acounts are never deleted; they are only deactivated. Your data is always there somewhere out in the universe for Uncle Sam to do whatever he wants to do with people "likes" and "dislikes"!
their is absolutely no privacy in facebook.
I have stopped using it since yr or so.
its one big privacy nightmare and they dont let you make it private at all.
their motto is to make your life public whether you want or dont want.
so only advice.

dont add any pic's as its gonna be shared by something or other.
so stay away.

A bit offtopic but related to FB only so ought to ask, can i hide the messages on my friend's news feeds using my privacy settings "that BBThumbHealer is now friends with x person" ? is it possible ? i hope my query is clear.

FB these days is a stalker's paradise now.

Back