A geek's delight at around 55K?

Ok, so I need to get myself a good laptop for work/home use and would really like to hear your opinions...

Here are my requirements:

Proccy:???

RAM: Min. 3GB DDR3

Screen Size: 14" -15" LED (Don't need FullHD)

GFX: Discrete, Equiv. or better than the HD 4500 series

HDD: Min. 320GB

OD: DVD Writer *standard*

Connectivity: Built-in Wi-fi *standard*

Battery: 6 Cell should do I guess

And other standard stuff...

Budget: Around 55K

Sights on:

Dell Studio 15 (customized)

Brands I'm not keen on: Toshiba, Acer , HCL

Over to you...

TIA.

~ T.T.M ~

I guess the Dell studio 15 is the best choice as you clearly said u don't prefer Acer or else the Acer 5740G would have been a great option;).

Do contact anks22402 on the forums, recently I had a word with him about purchasing a Dell studio 15 for my friend. He had quoted Rs. 48700/-

(with the CC for 3 yrs:clap:) for the Core i3+ 4GB Ram + 9 Cell battery+ Black Color and no bag;).

You can obviously upgrade according to your preferences and ask a quote from him. Hope that deal is still on:).

hey! try the msi laptops with core i5 and ati 5470 they retail for about 45k with 2 years of international warranty. i posted details earlier about new range of laptops from MSI.

thanks for your inputs!

Well, the array of processors to choose from and the thought of a 15" laptop being a little too heavy, have got me thinking. :(

only the high-end core i5 models seem to fare well, with the i7s stepping out of the price range...

Not too keen on getting a MSI...

:S

^ Hey, that looks like a nice option.

Here's how I've configured the Dell Studio 15:

dellstudio15.jpg

Sony Vaio VPCCW26FG/B Vs. Dell Studio 15

The Sony has better GFX and design, whereas the Dell has a better proccy and faster memory...

Then there's the screen size.

General opinions please.

Aaargh :S

thetoxicmind said:

The Sony has better GFX and design, whereas the Dell has a better proccy and faster memory...

General opinions please.

3yrs hardware warranty :) That should be a major deciding factor in case you decide to keep the lappy for 2-3 yrs. Even if you decide to sell it after 2 yrs you will get better resale value as it will have warranty.

anks22402 in TE is a dell rep i guess . Chk the hot deals section. He may get u a 8% discount on Dell Lappies :)

http://www.techenclave.com/hot-deal...warranty-at-rock-bottom-purhcases-156159.html

thetoxicmind said:

dellstudio15.jpg

General opinions please.

thats 57k+1k for delivery of the studio, so you will be getting vaio at a cheaper rate for around 56k,also you get a free targus laptop bag with sony vaio, and the dell studio has faster RAM but intel arrendale processors recognise only till 1066MHZ which is mentioned on your specs list itself.

Thanks guys.

1. What about i5 540M Vs. i5-520M ?

2. Dell 3Yr hardware warranty Vs. Sony ??? Warranty ?

3. Among the new i5 based notebooks, weight difference between 14" and 15" ?

also you get a free targus laptop bag with sony vaio

Seriously? Although, I'll need a backpack.

5. HD : 320GB 7200rpm Vs 500GB 5400rm, noticeable real world difference?

Anything else?

thetoxicmind said:
Thanks guys.

1. What about i5 540M Vs. i5-520M ?

2. Dell 3Yr hardware warranty Vs. Sony ??? Warranty ?

3. Among the new i5 based notebooks, weight difference between 14" and 15" ?

Seriously? Although, I'll need a backpack.

5. HD : 320GB 7200rpm Vs 500GB 5400rm, noticeable real world difference?

Anything else?

1.the difference between i5-540m and i5-520m will be hardly noticeable, same with 320gb 7200 rpm, instead i will go with 500GB 5400 rpm as 7200 rpm produces more heat. also dell studio produces more heat than vaio cw which is known for its cool temperatures.
2.of course the dell has better 3yrs warranty, you get only 1 yr but international warranty with vaio which can be extended to 1+2 yrs by paying rs5k.
3. the weight will differ by around 500gms between 14 and 15 inch.
4.yes, you get a targus bag but no backpack with vaio.
5. according to me go for vaio cw as it has much better gfx card,better build quality, better looks, much better cooling system and also you can flaunt your vaio in front of your friends.:eek:hyeah:

1.you get a 1600x900 resolution screen with vaio whereas dell studio 15 under your config has a 1366x768 resolution.
2.the vaio cw comes with a much better wireless card that is intel wireless 6200 N when compared to dell card.
3.why are you comparing studio 15 with vaio cw, vaio cw is a 14inch laptop, so better compare it with studio 14 which has a very weak gfx, even weaker than studio 15. no laptop can beat vaio cw in 14 inch category.:hap5:

There are Asus gaming Laptops available with similar warranties as Dell.

I recall seeing an insane 17 inch configuration (though I have read you need 15 or less)

with a 1GB GDDR5 GPU and i7 Proccy. That was around 75-80K

Any Asus experts. Please shed some light.

you can pay 5k to extend the warranty of your sony laptop by 2 years - that brings the total warranty to 3 years. i think if you pay 6k more you can get the better 9 cell battery - adds more battery life to your laptop.

Yep, will have to see about the warranty.

Ruled out a 9 cell battery for both, after seeing how it sticks out at the bottom. Moreover, it will mostly be connected to the mains.

thetoxicmind said:
Yep, will have to see about the warranty.

Ruled out a 9 cell battery for both, after seeing how it sticks out at the bottom. Moreover, it will mostly be connected to the mains.
What do you mean by that?

I'm planning on buying the Studio 15 with an i7 and a 9-cell battery.. :)

Back