A geek's delight at around 55K?

I would recommend you stay away from Sony. Sony laptop service is horrible. Dell CC for 3Yrs is amazing and covers everything.

Just check the net for Sony vaio horror stories.

nitant said:
I would recommend you stay away from Sony. Sony laptop service is horrible. Dell CC for 3Yrs is amazing and covers everything.

Just check the net for Sony vaio horror stories.

the fellows who complain on net are the ones who had bad experiences, nooone tells that they have a very good product and the service is excellent.
just do google search for- dell service sucks;)

you might look for availability of ASUS K42JR-A1

its a 14 inch laptop with i5 processor and ATI Mobility Radeonâ„¢ HD5470 1024MB

you can check the rest of the specs here

ASUS K42JR-A1

i tried finding a quote for this config locally, but is not available as of now.

if you like it.. our dealers at TE might be able to provide a quote for this..

thetoxicmind said:
Thanks guys.

1. What about i5 540M Vs. i5-520M ?

----> 133Mhz.. seriously, do I need to say more?

2. Dell 3Yr hardware warranty Vs. Sony ??? Warranty ?

----> Much better.

3. Among the new i5 based notebooks, weight difference between 14" and 15" ?

----> Can't say. But, should not be noticeable.

5. HD : 320GB 7200rpm Vs 500GB 5400rm, noticeable real world difference?

----> Not noticeable.

Anything else?

One of my colleagues was buying for a friend. He came to know that Dell offers 8% discount for Cogni employees.. must be true for other companies too. Find out about that. He got a Dell Studio for around 48k shipped with following config (after 8% discount and "3 Years Complete Cover Accidental Damage Protection")-

Core i5

4GB RAM

500GB HDD

ATI 4570

They agreed to pay the 2.5k ( Maharashtra special ) octroi too.

Really good deal IMO. :)

^ Depends on your usage whether paying the extra money is justified. Unless there is extreme rendering or gaming, I think i5 is more VFM.

Appreciate all your inputs!

While the 15" studio offers a customized config and a good deal on the warranty, the pre-configured, full fledged 14" Vaio seems like an interesting proposition (style, build, cooling, gpu)...

Both models after the discounts, will end up with a price tag of ~ 55K, although it would be the 3Yr warranty Vs. 1 Yr.

The problem is someone in the US is purchasing it for me and I'm not sure how he will be paying for it here. So I've mentioned the two options and left the decision to him.

Let's see what happens...

Well I am personally using the very same Vaio in question since the past 1 month, and its been a dream ride so far.

It is much more portable than the studio 15" with its size and weight.On top of that, i have the white color version which looks kickass. The battery backup is amazing, i have done some heavy rendering and stuff on it and it makes zero noise and doesnt give any heating issues.

And the keyboard is mac style, unlike studio 15, which i think is more comfortable. Only issue i have faced so far is that while playing fps, my little finger is in weird position to crouch using the Ctrl key, thats it!!

Its a great laptop all in all. A little bit expensive but even at sony centre you can get this at 56.8k all inclusive.

I would say you seriously consider this, i have friends using the studio 15' since i live in a hostel, and they haven't had a similarly pleasant experience with their lappys.

Any more details regarding the lappy, feel free to pm me.

thetoxicmind said:
The problem is someone in the US is purchasing it for me and I'm not sure how he will be paying for it here. So I've mentioned the two options and left the decision to him.

Let's see what happens...

With reference to quoted text, looks like it's going to be a Dell.

But guess what? The Studio 15 (base) model I had chosen, has been removed from the site!

Thanks to that, I've now configured a Studio 14.

Something along these lines...

studio14.jpg

:hap5:

thetoxicmind said:
With reference to quoted text, looks like it's going to be a Dell.

But guess what? The Studio 15 (base) model I had chosen, has been removed from the site!

Thanks to that, I've now configured a Studio 14.

Something along these lines...

studio14.jpg

:hap5:

But still your config has lower resolution (1366x768) screen and the performance of 1GB ATI 5450 is similar to ATI 4570 which is much weaker than the nvidia GT330 and the hard disk is 320GB vs 500GB of vaio ;)

I'd recommend Dell just for the fact that my experience with their service has been brilliant. The LAN port on my brother's laptop was not working called them. They instructed me to get new drivers(As if I hadn't done that)...After that they confirmed that the engineer would come tomorrow he came and he changed the entire motherboard.

Must say very good.

But the Acer 5740G also looks brilliant for the features it offeres.

Anyways the choice is yours I always suggest getting a simple laptop as laptops aren't meant for gaming. Just get the one which is light has decent battery life and lets you play small games like FIFA and watch HD movies.

@mahesh verma

1. That particular Studio 14 model has disappeared from the site.

2. For now, I've chosen a Studio 15 with a FullHD Disp, 320GB/7200R HD and ATI 5470 1GB.

3. As stated earlier, I can't purchase a Sony or any other brand for that matter.

@H20

Thanks

@m1h1r

Rests in the hands of the Dell Sales Rep.

Sweet talk your way to a sweet price. :p

thetoxicmind said:
Ok, so I need to get myself a good laptop for work/home use and would really like to hear your opinions...

Here are my requirements:

Proccy:???
RAM: Min. 3GB DDR3
Screen Size: 14" -15" LED (Don't need FullHD)
GFX: Discrete, Equiv. or better than the HD 4500 series
HDD: Min. 320GB
OD: DVD Writer *standard*
Connectivity: Built-in Wi-fi *standard*
Battery: 6 Cell should do I guess

And other standard stuff...

Budget: Around 55K

Sights on:

Dell Studio 15 (customized)

Brands I'm not keen on: Toshiba, Acer , HCL

Over to you...

TIA.

~ T.T.M ~

m1h1r said:
Check out the HP Pavilion DV6-2155TX :)

It has everything you want except that it has an i3 processor..

thetoxicmind said:
@mahesh verma

1. That particular Studio 14 model has disappeared from the site.
2. For now, I've chosen a Studio 15 with a FullHD Disp, 320GB/7200R HD and ATI 5470 1GB.
3. As stated earlier, I can't purchase a Sony or any other brand for that matter.

@H20

Thanks

@m1h1r

Rests in the hands of the Dell Sales Rep.
Sweet talk your way to a sweet price. :p

I think I am giving my inputs aftre the decision is made,
but i would surely go with
DELL Studio XPS 13.
My friend has it and it simply rocks
He got is with a NVIDIA GEForce GT 240 and 4 GB DDR3 and i7-720QM with 500 GB all @ some $1.2k.
& I think the prices are quite comparable in India. So go for it.

^^ But with Dell laptops, the good thing is it goes on for years. It will easily service u for 3-4 years whereas with HP, it is a piece of utter crap. My room mate bought a very good rig, but with in 6 months he is having prob with the KB and stuff that after replacing the first one that he got where the KB touchpad was not working.

Back