A general question about Air Conditioners

sreenisatish

Disciple
I am hunting for air conditioners and I had a general question about power consumption.

I need a 1 Ton AC based on my room size. But, currently having a good deal on a 1.5T (costing very close to the 1T).
Anyway, onto the question: The 1T consumes around 980 watts whereas 1.5T consumes 1500 watts based on the label on the ACs. I know that a 1.5T will cool my room faster than a 1T. Will the AC consume the stated power continuously when it is on, or will it shut down temporarily once the desired temperature is attained?

In other words, even though my room just needs a 1T, will I get a higher electricity bill if I go for the 1.5T (considering they are both 5 star rated ACs)?

Also, a related question: any feedback about Carrier Midea branded ACs? I know Carrier is a well known brand, but Midea seems to be a collaboration with a chinese manufacturer which I haven't heard much about.

In other words, even though my room just needs a 1T, will I get a higher electricity bill if I go for the 1.5T (considering they are both 5 star rated ACs)?
I don't think it will make too much of a difference given your room just needs a 1T. If your room was bigger then the 1T would work harder and consume more power to cool the room than a 1.5T. This would also have an adverse effect on its operating life. The 1T will do a better job at extracting moisture from the room as it will be running longer, within spec, than 1.5T and you will feel more comfortable assuming humidity is high in your area.

Are you sure about the sizing requirement as it can be difficult to assess. Room size on its own is incomplete. eg how much sun exposure, whether its a corner room with direct exposure where you have entire walls heating up or top floor with a heated ceiling. Thinner walls are easier to heat than thicker ones.

Its curious the 1.5T is so close in price to the 1T, that means it isn't moving, rooms are small so there is less demand. Are they both from the same brand ?

Also, a related question: any feedback about Carrier Midea branded ACs? I know Carrier is a well known brand, but Midea seems to be a collaboration with a chinese manufacturer which I haven't heard much about.
With appliances the most important bit is the availability of spares and how long for. You should enquire with the service center. The low end models tend not to have spares available as repairs make up a disproportionate cost compared to the original. So there is less demand for spares ergo their availability is limited. This will vary depending on the model.

Then you look at servicing, how good the network is. You want it to be fixed when necessary without too much hassle.

Last edited:
Back