A good NAS?

You have 4 options - Attach a USB HDD to your router and share it, Setup a SBC (like RPi) with a USB HDD, Buy a NAS and install one or more HDDs or setup a desktop for the same.

I would suggest the router only if you want to spend nothing. The limitations are with the router itself so YMMV.

On a budget, I would suggest the RPi with the USB HDD - this should do a good job as long as you are not going to 1. watch 4K rips with high bitrates AND 2. Multiple clients at the same time. Ensure you get one of the newer RPi's with more RAM, setup the same.

If you want to watch high bit rate 4K rips you should go for either NAS or (ideally) I would suggest a desktop which has multiple SATA ports so that its more future proof.

This should be a Pentium class or above (with integrated graphics) which has the transcoding capabilities needed if you need to stream to devices which do not support 4K.

Install Windows or Linux or whatever is to your liking and share the same for a simple setup. For a more better way, for ex. If you want to do transcoding and want an easy way to manage the same, setup Plex. The free account should be more than enough for your needs, as long as the TV is acting as a Cast target.

TL;DR - depends on what you are - simple and tight budget use - router with USB HDD, simple and money to spend - NAS, complex on a budget - Raspberry Pi, complex with money and you want the best of everything - PC as NAS. If you find the write up complicated, please feel free to ask.

I have a RPi3 but it is underpowered and not good for high end 4K. Same for router option. I have a Dlink dir-825 which has usb HDD option but it’s not good for 4K steaming.

Currently using a dell mini laptop with with external HDD as storage. It’s a bit underpowered and 4K stuff requires a bit of buffering with Plex client on android tv. If I use VLC on android tv, 4K plays just fine on the android tv.

I think NAS is the one. Ds218j it is going to be I guess with 4K transcoding being not done as i will be using it on local network on the fairly new 4K capable android tv.

As for Plex, I have a lifetime Plex pass, so that’s not an issue.

I have a RPi3 but it is underpowered and not good for high end 4K. Same for router option. I have a Dlink dir-825 which has usb HDD option but it’s not good for 4K steaming.

Currently using a dell mini laptop with with external HDD as storage. It’s a bit underpowered and 4K stuff requires a bit of buffering with Plex client on android tv. If I use VLC on android tv, 4K plays just fine on the android tv.

I think NAS is the one. Ds218j it is going to be I guess with 4K transcoding being not done as i will be using it on local network on the fairly new 4K capable android tv.

As for Plex, I have a lifetime Plex pass, so that’s not an issue.

If you have Plex Pass, I think getting a desktop will be the better option. It would have enough horsepower to do more stuff as well. Price wise, it will be same as a Synology and offer more VFM.

My new year resolution is to finally setup my Plex box (got the Plex Pass ages ago) its been 25 days and I have still not started :blackeye:

If you have Plex Pass, I think getting a desktop will be the better option. It would have enough horsepower to do more stuff as well. Price wise, it will be same as a Synology and offer more VFM.

My new year resolution is to finally setup my Plex box (got the Plex Pass ages ago) its been 25 days and I have still not started :blackeye:

Posted about this config above. Any good?

Intel NUC NUC7PJYH Desktop Computer - Intel Pentium Silver J5005 1.50 GHz DDR4 SDRAM - Mini PC - Intel UHD Graphics 605 Graphics - Wireless LAN - Bluetooth - HDMI - 6 x Total USB Port(s)

Costs same at around 15k-16k.

I plan to add a 256gb SSD and 8gb ddr4 ram which will cost me around ₹4K totalling ₹20k.

Posted about this config above. Any good?

Intel NUC NUC7PJYH Desktop Computer - Intel Pentium Silver J5005 1.50 GHz DDR4 SDRAM - Mini PC - Intel UHD Graphics 605 Graphics - Wireless LAN - Bluetooth - HDMI - 6 x Total USB Port(s)

Costs same at around 15k-16k.

I plan to add a 256gb SSD and 8gb ddr4 ram which will cost me around ₹4K totalling ₹20k.
No mate. I have the J4205 and the J5005 has tiny bit more power certainly not enough for realtime CPU transcoding with Windows 10 as the OS.

BTW whats the TV model?
And when you say Android TV do you mean the inbuilt Android OS on the TV or a separate Android TV box?

Why I am asking is because most TV manufacturers have limited codec support on the inbuilt OS and Sony is the worst offender in this case.

A standalone Android TV box like an Amlogic processor based one supports a lot of codecs and can directly play videos without needing transcoding to H264
I am also guessing your videos are H265 codec based.

No mate. I have the J4205 and the J5005 has tiny bit more power certainly not enough for realtime CPU transcoding with Windows 10 as the OS.

BTW whats the TV model?
And when you say Android TV do you mean the inbuilt Android OS on the TV or a separate Android TV box?

Why I am asking is because most TV manufacturers have limited codec support on the inbuilt OS and Sony is the worst offender in this case.

A standalone Android TV box like an Amlogic processor based one supports a lot of codecs and can directly play videos without needing transcoding to H264
I am also guessing your videos are H265 codec based.

Inbuilt android in tv.

On my 4K tv, I can play h265 4K just fine and I know no transcoding is happening as my PC that is serving the 4K media is not capable of 4K transcoding.

Tv Processor is Cortex A53 Quad core, has 2gb ram, 16gb storage

TCL 138.78 cm (55 inches) AI 4K UHD Certified Android Smart LED TV 55P8 (Black) (2019 Model) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07TMRFDP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_pIhlEb87FCZBX

Inbuilt android in tv.

On my 4K tv, I can play h265 4K just fine and I know no transcoding is happening as my PC that is serving the 4K media is not capable of 4K transcoding.

Tv Processor is Cortex A53 Quad core, has 2gb ram, 16gb storage

TCL 138.78 cm (55 inches) AI 4K UHD Certified Android Smart LED TV 55P8 (Black) (2019 Model) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07TMRFDP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_pIhlEb87FCZBX
NAS is not a good option for you unless you can hook up the TV to your router with CAT6 cable as D-lInk will defeintely choke to stream 4k over wifi.

Get a Roku Ultra , 2/4 TB portable HDD and hook it up to the TV. If you're playing these video codecs you should be okay-

Keep in mind Amazon PrimeVideo India doesn't work on this one. Not sure about Netflix too.
To check video info use mediainfo from here.

After installing you should be able to right click on a video file and select mediainfo from the context menu to see its config.

1579981355844.png

NAS is not a good option for you unless you can hook up the TV to your router with CAT6 cable as D-lInk will defeintely choke to stream 4k over wifi.

Get a Roku Ultra , 2/4 TB portable HDD and hook it up to the TV. If you're playing these video codecs you should be okay-

Keep in mind Amazon PrimeVideo India doesn't work on this one. Not sure about Netflix too.
To check video info use mediainfo from here.

After installing you should be able to right click on a video file and select mediainfo from the context menu to see its config.

View attachment 84299

My tv is connected to the router using wired Ethernet. So, WiFi issues are not a problem.

I don’t use any streaming services. “Google drive” takes care of all my needs.

I just downloaded a 50gb 4K HDR remux 4K movie to my external HDD. The tv played it fine using VLC via DNA.

Just an update.

Got myself a synology ds220j along with apc ups backup.

Will be using 2 of my 2.5” SATA HD drives I had lying around. A 1.5tb Seagate mobile SATA hdd and a 500 gb WD SATA hdd.

I know the ideal HD would be a NAS HD but I am not concerned about data corruption.

I hope I don’t take too much of a performance hit by using those HDDs.

Back