A sad day for Notion Ink. Adam gets a 3/10 rating on engadget

Actually it's correct and Adam deserves it. Buggers simply created hype :-/

and they still have not lost anything, simple software updates and price revision can make it a win :bye22:

Notion Ink have themselves to blame a great deal for this. No previews, lots of hype, and and lots of expectation creation. Not to mention the delay. What finally comes out seems to have been fit to be a 'wow' thing a year back, not anymore.

While it's true that most of the Adam's issue are software related and can be fixed with updates (apart from the camera and sub-par screen implementation)... the failure was expected with so much delays. The world around tablets has changes and advanced too fast and what could have been a decent product an year (or even 7-8 months ago) is now set to be just another dismissive conclusion.

Apart from the hardware issues (camera, screen, bezel buttons)... one would have expected at least finished/polished software after so much delays. Alas, something that was entirely in hand of NI's team, they managed to poop on it. It's not like they were waiting for Honeycomb to release before Adam was out or Gingerbread for that matter. Current Adams is Froyo based and they had enough time to properly finish the much hyped Eden UI (which itself had some novel ideas). The current state of affairs is sadly disappointing for the ambitious start-up.

I know I've brought this up before and I'll bring it up once again... but there is much weight and truth to this quote by Alan Kay, and it applies here too. Because it applies for both, software and/or hardware companies.

Alan Kay said:
People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.

Gannu said:
Steve Jobs, Michael Dell and Bill Gates were all college dropouts.

A better Alma Mater doesn't promise you a fortune you know!
Sigh, explain that to our current gen, who think it's IIT or nothing (i'm stuck in this engineering race too)

comp@ddict said:
Sigh, explain that to our current gen, who think it's IIT or nothing (i'm stuck in this engineering race too)
I wouldnt say its a bad thing, if you look at what those 7 people managed to achieve!

One of the untouched reasons why it got screwed is global pricing.

They tried to lure people into believing that people are getting best pricing including shipping by making it a standard.

Catch was that they were cutting the middleman. Profit margin must have been very high.

They simply expected sales based on PR stunts and render sketches. They had to put up actual pics and videos when they were ridiculed after their 1st PR about promised launch.

I for one, was going to order. I did not when I saw they delays in their act so far.

By the time it was launched..most major players already announced and some delivered on honeycomb.

Lol its looks more like a fugly lab prototype....now when thier investors screw them and put the knife to their neck they will know how bad it is to create a mad hype on a nothing product.

And it is said as Indian product with no warranty to Indian consumers #PHAIL

@m-jeri - Actually he posted a thread, review, as if he is a consumer, but sorcy made him say he was from inside, NI team :bleh:

Supra said:
Lol its looks more like a fugly lab prototype....now when thier investors screw them and put the knife to their neck they will know how bad it is to create a mad hype on a nothing product.
Those investors will go after another company and the same team will get jobs there because they are the most experienced :)

it is a decent piece of hardware apart from the camera and the screen. One can install a custom ROM from sites like Tabletroms , XDA etc and most of the software issues will be resolved.

Back