All OS A tablet to read PDF files - need suggestions

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
I would like to buy a tablet to read pdf files. Most of the docs that I read are journal articles with plenty of images, and two or three column layout text. I would also like to highlight some text, and maybe make small annotations if possible. I guess e-ink readers do not make the cut for my requirements.

I would prefer not to spend more than 15k on the tablet. Currently, Mi Pad is under consideration. Is there any other alternative to the same?

Also, is there a fine tipped stylus that can be used on these capacitive display tablets for marking? Most styli that I see are those that have thick rubber tips. I want something fine, like the S-pen tip or a Wacom stylus. The closest I could find is the Adonit Jot Pro, but it costs around 2.5K. Any other alternatives?

Hmm.. Reviews also are generally good for the Mi Pad. And the 4:3 screen ratio is also very appealing. I have to take the plunge by the 1st week of August. If anyone has any other suggestions, now is the time to reply. :D

MI pad all the way

Better buy it now and get an MI pistons earphone as a freebie.

You can send it to me if you don't want the earphone..:D:D:D

Ipads are great for reading thanks to the screen and great battery life. Plenty of brilliant apps to find the one you are comfortable with. I use the inbuilt one, its pretty good. You can try them both at any apple showroom hands on. Lower the brightness and test. You wont read at full brightness.

Some of the other video apps etc (paid too) are really great. Nothing like Android. Plenty of options. Get a good tablet once and you will use it for a lot more. For tablets I suggest the Ipad always for the very simple reason, they are the only ones with apps designed for tablets. Android just makes phone apps bigger.

Last edited:
+1 for iPad mini
Don't buy retina display variant if reading is your utmost priority. You will have to resize the text quite often. (it'll be in your budget too).

If you have to buy a retina display, buy the 9.7 in ipad.
Ipad screen is great for pdf reading & browsing (when coupled with Good Reader Paid app). It's far less stressful on the eyes, when compared with HD android tabs.

iPad mini at less than 15k? Where is it selling at that price point? The least I can see it is for nearly 20k.

About other apps, yes the ipads take the show away, but there are several good readers on android. The OP wants mostly for reading purposes, hence I guess mi pad is a good deal, specially for the price that it goes for. The screen is pretty awesome on the mi pad too.

Built quality is something that are worlds apart... But again, the price.

iPad mini at less than 15k? Where is it selling at that price point? The least I can see it is for nearly 20k.

It's ipad mini 1st generation, as with any Apple device; You'll be restricted in storage capacity of 16gb though.
It should be available around 15k.

Ipad mini 2, 3 arr retina variants ; avoid them if reading is your utmost priority.

Yeah. Understand that. Even the first gen iPad mini is selling at 17k on flipkart, thought it is OOS. Elsewhere, prices show upwards of 18k. Are offline prices better?

Yeah of course, check offline. Also local classifieds in your city.
Verify serial number and warranty before buying anything, anywhere ; lot of fakes everywhere.

1st Gen mini is not in much demand nowadays, it fell to 14k during last Flipkart sale, they obviously exhausted all the stock.

Try getting from USA if possible, it's cheaper there.

Apologies for the delayed update. I got hold of a Mi Pad for 10.8k about 10 days back from FK. Pretty much satisfied with the tablet. The display is good, and the device performs flawlessly. Build quality and MIUI are the biggest drawbacks, but I guess I can live with that.

Back