A Tale of 2 Rupees

Frankly you need to chill, you are wasting your energy on something that isnt worth it , 2 rs is nothing , many time auto wallas also forgo the change if the bill is say 22 in your case .

Agreed 2 rupees isn't worth wasting time and energy on.

But say he takes an auto a day. And every auto driver does this. What does that add up to in a year? In a month? From a 1000 people in a day? 1000 people in a month?

The point is he's probably doing it because it's wrong in principle, not because he can't afford 2 rupees. What about someone earning 1cr p.a. Even a 100 bucks isn't worth his time right?

This is exactly the attitude that our mobile service providers, banks etc. exploit when they rip us off in our bills or adding VAS without asking because they know most people aren't going to bother with the time and effort to get that 25 bucks that they charged me for adding caller tunes without my permission.

This is another side to the corruption story in our country, directly opposite bribery but with the same effect. The apathy is what is killing this country, not the corruption.

Why did Gandhiji fight for salt? I mean it's one of the cheapest commodities right? Standing for what is right is as important as saving time and making more money.

Had posted this earlier, but this thread is worth a repost. This was my first ever amazon India order, so it was even a sweeter experience overall.

Ordered books for a friend and got em delivered at my place. The order was marked as COD, and total bill was 169 rupees. I handed him Rs 170 and I atleast expected a courtesy filled reply that Sir, I do not have the 1 rupee change. But the bludart courier guy simply started to pick his bag and was already on the move when I asked him about the change to be tendered back.

"Arey Sir, aaj ke time mein kaun 1 rupya dekhta hai!"

He leaves and I proceed to file a complaint via bluedart's online page. By next day, the manager calls and apologizes for the folly. He says that they have tracked down the courier guy and have reprimanded him. I told the Mgr that it is not a question of a rupee, but the basic professional attitude which is lacking with us Indians. He again says sorry and agrees about bringing in changes at the basic level.

The icing on the cake was, that the same courier guy arrives the next week for the sequel books, and this time I hand him the COD money with 1 rupee short. He ofc proceeds to ask "Sir, 1 rupya kam hai"

I replied, "And what did you said the last time when u were here?"
"Oh, okay sir."

I closed the door with a smile of content which would have befitted a sage.

He was at the receiving end because :
a) While he did not have exact change, neither did you so both parties are at par
b) Considering he was OK with accepting 15 Rs as well thereby taking a hit of 3 Rs at his end vs the 2 on yours implies that he was indifferent to the delta either way
b) In order to adhere to your ask for the 2 INR, he ended up spending his time and fuel that would have easily amounted to more than the amount in question

PS:
I don't why we forget the instrinsic value of the time we waste on small savings is far more than what is saved
You lost so much of your own time in this whole episode.. Now am not sure what you earn but even a 2L p.a. wage earner earns 100 Rs an hour

My intention was not to torture the rickshawallah in any way but only to receive what was rightfully mine which in this case is 2 Rupees. In short it was not really just about 2 rupees but also about principles.

a_q_taicaaa4pqu.jpg

Back