A-VO-ID: Do a minimum RC of Rs.35 per 28days or No outgoing calls (Even with Main Balance!)

So my (alternate no.) Jio plan was expiring and I have some traveling upcoming, and i'm not sure about jio's roaming where i'm going, so decided to recharge my vodafone instead of porting to jio. big mistake.

even though i got a similar plan as jio on special 121 offer, Rs. 398 with 1.4gb/day 84 days (regular price Rs. 458), although the 'unlimited' calling is FU'd to 250 mins/day or 1000 mins/week. Still thought it would be enough for my use. Well, network coverage/signal strength has gone to shit, 4g speeds i dunno if i should call it even 2g, leave alone 3g. Lucky to get 1mbps where earlier i was getting 20mbps. Oh and volte doesn't work. I spent 20 mins on hold till a CC executive was connected, and the dude was clueless. He registered a complaint. Later I got an sms "we have activated your volte" but it still isn't working.

Vodafone at least, is finished.
Depends on the location. Where I live, outskirts of Calcutta, Vodafone I have found is the most solid network thus far. And I have used Jio as my main SIM for over a year, then changed to airtel. Now I am using Vodafone, for around 2-3 months, and its the only connection where thus far I never had call someone twice, which was never the case with Jio. Often times I had to disconnect the call and redial with Jio, as receiver's no. won't connect or whatever. And I don't even wanna mention how airtel was. I mean back in 2008-09 we used to make fun of BSNL (CellOne) mobile connection, but airtel's coverage over here is not even believable any more! Dafuk happened to them God knows!

So I am keeping my Vodafone, just recharged same as you, 399 for 84 days, though only 1 GB data per day instead of 1.4 GB, and 95% of the daily data is wasted for me anyway, along with all the texts, but the connection is stable AF, so all good there. And yes, VoLTE I don't know about. The phone I use has compatibility for Jio's VoLTE only, so don't know about that. Do miss those clear HD calls of Jio to Jio though.

Depends on the location. Where I live, outskirts of Calcutta, Vodafone I have found is the most solid network thus far. And I have used Jio as my main SIM for over a year, then changed to airtel. Now I am using Vodafone, for around 2-3 months, and its the only connection where thus far I never had call someone twice, which was never the case with Jio. Often times I had to disconnect the call and redial with Jio, as receiver's no. won't connect or whatever. And I don't even wanna mention how airtel was. I mean back in 2008-09 we used to make fun of BSNL (CellOne) mobile connection, but airtel's coverage over here is not even believable any more! Dafuk happened to them God knows!

But that's the reason i decided to recharge vodafone in the first place. It had an awesome network in this exact same location. And i've seen 20mbps. Now some pages don't even load properly. I have to keep refreshing. Jio would flawlessy open 20 tabs at once if needed. I can't believe i'm praising jio vs vodafone, but i'll bet this is all due to cost cutting. Things are not like they were a few months ago. I should have tried a smaller duration pack first instead of jumping into the 3 monther.

So I am keeping my Vodafone, just recharged same as you, 399 for 84 days, though only 1 GB data per day instead of 1.4 GB, and 95% of the daily data is wasted for me anyway, along with all the texts, but the connection is stable AF, so all good there. And yes, VoLTE I don't know about. The phone I use has compatibility for Jio's VoLTE only, so don't know about that. Do miss those clear HD calls of Jio to Jio though.

No, it's a 398 recharge not the regular 399, it actually costs 458. You can see special recharges applicable for you by dialing *121#. Oh well...

Yeah, it seems phones that work flawlessly on Jio volte will not on vodafone sometimes. Switches to 3g/2g to make a call. Very annoying.

Vodafone Idea - whoever is doing the technical joining has ****ed up big time. As for the VoLTE, they may not have enabled it for your specific device. My Pixel does VoLTE on Jio, has support on V-I but not on Airtel!

Vodafone Volte

I have 2 Vodafone connections .

1 has Volte enabled and the other doesn't.

Countless complaints to them , they don't seem to get it.

Also many phones support Jio and airtel Volte.
Vodafone Volte is not widely supported .

Any way this month I will switch at least one of my Vodafone to Mtnl .

I prefer to fill balance once rather than a monthly refill .

I began to use my Jio number for primary calls .
399 for 84 days . .

Cheers !
Ankush .

No .
I use all sims singly in each phone .
Mi 5
Mi Max 2
Le eco Le 2 .
All 3 phones support jio vote .
Mi 5 and Mi Max 2 Airtel Volte.
Mi Max 2 Vodafone Volte .
I also have another Honor 9 lite . It supports all 3 carriers Volte .
Thank you .

Vodafone Volte

I have 2 Vodafone connections .

1 has Volte enabled and the other doesn't.

Countless complaints to them , they don't seem to get it.

Also many phones support Jio and airtel Volte.
Vodafone Volte is not widely supported .

Any way this month I will switch at least one of my Vodafone to Mtnl .

I prefer to fill balance once rather than a monthly refill .

I began to use my Jio number for primary calls .
399 for 84 days . .

Cheers !
Ankush .

Ironically, with the Pixel 2 - Vodafone and Jio VoLTE is supported while Airtel is not!

May be not the right thread to ask but I am confused about few things w.r.t my Vodafone connection. I don't use my India number since I am currently out of the country. In order to keep number active, I would recharge with 222 or 500 (not sure exact amount) every time when balance would drop as a result of me making a less than 1 min call to keep the number active (cost of call is 70 Rs). Now recently, I started getting these messages that unless I do this validity recharge, my outgoing will be blocked which happened so I had to start doing the 35 Rs min recharge to enable outgoing again.
Now with my previous full talk time recharges and this recent 35 Rupees recharge, I currently have around Rs. 500+ prepaid balance.

Now I am coming to India soon and would want the service to work for a month. Will need the data and all too. Is there anyway to use this Rs. 500 balance to recharge for some plan or I have to separately pay for those plans (I am not very much aware about new plans which gives one unlimited calls, lots of sms and 1+ GB Data per day) .
If I have to pay separately for those plans, then does this mean that the Rs. 500 balance I have is almost never used ?

May be not the right thread to ask but I am confused about few things w.r.t my Vodafone connection. I don't use my India number since I am currently out of the country. In order to keep number active, I would recharge with 222 or 500 (not sure exact amount) every time when balance would drop as a result of me making a less than 1 min call to keep the number active (cost of call is 70 Rs). Now recently, I started getting these messages that unless I do this validity recharge, my outgoing will be blocked which happened so I had to start doing the 35 Rs min recharge to enable outgoing again.
Now with my previous full talk time recharges and this recent 35 Rupees recharge, I currently have around Rs. 500+ prepaid balance.

Now I am coming to India soon and would want the service to work for a month. Will need the data and all too. Is there anyway to use this Rs. 500 balance to recharge for some plan or I have to separately pay for those plans (I am not very much aware about new plans which gives one unlimited calls, lots of sms and 1+ GB Data per day) .
If I have to pay separately for those plans, then does this mean that the Rs. 500 balance I have is almost never used ?

If you use My Vodafone app to recharge it gives you the option to recharge using existing mobile balance i.e. deduct the recharge amount from your existing balance. So you can very well avail this facility and put the amount to good use rather than getting some shit random service auto activated by Vodafone and then quarreling with them for a refund.

Last edited:
If you use My Vodafone app to recharge it give you the option to recharge using existing mobile balance i.e. deduct the rechargeamount from your existing balance..

I wasn't aware of this option. If so it's good. Another advantage is the app will show your custom plans (*121#) on the first page itself. So you can quickly see the special plans applicable to your number which may be way cheaper than regular ones.

On the downside, it seems to be a bit of spyware like every other app these days, so maybe uninstall it when done with.

I believe Vodafone has a 150 or slightly higher 28 days plan. This should be enough for your visit. As for the recharge from balance, try doing it from myVodafone app.

EDIT - Stupid autocorrect.

Last edited:
If you use My Vodafone app to recharge it give you the option to recharge using existing mobile balance i.e. deduct the rechargeamount from your existing balance. So you can very well avail this facility and put the amount to good use rather than getting some shit random service auto activated by Vodafone and then quarreling with them for a refund.
Nice tip on using the balance using the app. I will try it.

You can also pay by balance on their website but for some plans only

https://shop.vodafone.in/shop/prepaid/unlimited-calls-and-data-plans.jsp?Type=Unlimited

There's a 169 plan

Code:
5% CASHBACK 28GB UL CALLS
MRP    Rs. 169
Benefit    Get 5% Cashback 28 GB(1GB Daily) Unlimited Local,STD and Roaming Calls(Incoming & Outgoing) 100 SMS/day,Validity - 28 days

Code:
Rs. 199/209 1.5 GB/day 28 days
Rs. 255 2 GB/day 28 days
Rs. 349 3 GB/day 28 days

Do note that their 'unlimited' calls are limited to 250 mins a day or 1000 mins a week. Should be enough for most people.

Vodafone Idea - whoever is doing the technical joining has ****ed up big time. As for the VoLTE, they may not have enabled it for your specific device. My Pixel does VoLTE on Jio, has support on V-I but not on Airtel!

It is enabled for my device (Redmi 4) as well as on my sim as per the sms they sent me. However, now i think it's my older miui version that is not supporting it. Very strange when Jio works flawlessly.

Update on the speed issue: It's definitely congestion, in the early morning hours a speed test showed 11mbps on 3g and 15mbps on 4g. Around noon is usable, evenings are terrible, it barely works, and rest of the day is so-so.

How bad is the spam on JIO prepaid? The data connection on Vodafone has become unreliable and I am considering inserting a JIO SIM in the second slot.

I have an airtel prepaid, but it looks like Airtel has sold my number to every telemarketer in town. I can't put it my main phone.

Back