AC Gas Flling Charges 1.5 Ton Windows.

The Sauron

Skilled
Hi,

Last night AC giveup on cool air. I checked airfilter, condensation coils and cleaned but still zero cooling.

I called in service man, he said there is leakage of gas and refilling+service +home pickup to shop & back charges would be around 3000/-

To verify charges I called in other man he quoted 2000/- Well one guy on phone said 1100-1200 including service:S

Now please guide me whom to believe. How much refilling gas in 1.5Ton Window Type AC usually costs?

TIA

if he will do it @ your house itself, then approx 1500 rs should be the cost. its actually depending on the amount of gas he has to put in (weight i think). look for a 1 yr service contract for your a/c, that should cover such costs and regular maintenance.

Better visit local A/C service shop or also visit any Authorized service center also ask few old A/C user in near by apartment/society or hotels or best to inquiry with Family Doctor (an trustworthy source), after all this exercise you are surly going to get BEST EVER A/C service guy with fair charges :)

Normally all companies do provide the facility of gas filling at your house and most companies charge between Rs.1500 to Rs.1800 (company rates). The local a/c mechanic charge around Rs.1300-1500 and he will also fill the gas at your home.

I would suggest you to consult 2-3 a/c mechanics before having the deal done. As last year my Whirlpool a/c went bad, I called up the company persons and he told that the gas is leaking and the grils are in a bad shape and needs replacement for proper cooling. He told me Rs.7500 for the same. But I denied it. After a few days I asked my nearby ac mechanic to check it and he took Rs.150 and showed me that only 2-3 wires were burned which he repaired. So never trust anybody and get it checked by 2-3 engineers to verify the problem and its charges.....

I have got two 1.5Ton Samsung ACs... They need gas refill every year !! Is it a problem with the not-so-popular AC brands or I should check/reinstall the whole copper piping again ??

Also are gas refill charges still the same ? I rekon I was charged 1200Rs per AC last year...

1200 is the rate for gas refill. how old are your ACs. Acs dont need gas refills every year. there is some problem.

copper piping is expensive. you should get the company to check the problem.

They are 3 year old... Gas refill is being done from last 2 years, every year they run good during summer and cooling eventually stops...

Company is charging 3k just to pick up the outer unit !

Bit googling shows there is leakage problem with samsungs aluminium condenser, and it needs to be replaced with copper one which cost ~6k
<
... Shouldn't hv bought Samsung at first place
<

shud not cost more than 1500/- inclusive of changing the "capillary". (official Samsung 1.5 Ton Windows AC)

I would recommend changing/replacing the capillary while refilling gas coz AC units dont perform well after a couple of years coz of minor blockages in the capillary as well as gas leakage.

So if one wants near 100% performance from their old AC get the capillary replaced while refilling gas every two/three years.

P.S: Info from personal experience. Got total 6 AC units in our house(3 window and 3 split). With one unit over 11 years old which puts the latest samsung window AC to shame (cooling speed)

Guys, for the split AC's the gas refilling can be done at home, cos it has a proper inlet and outlet valves. For window AC's its kind of tough, because they will have to cut the pipes and reweld it back once the refilling is done. It can be done at home though if the guy has a portable copper welding butane gas canister with them.

If its a 18000 BTu(1.5 ton) compressor, then 700 gms of gas has to be refilled and it would not cost more than 1200k here in chennai. Someone quoted about aluminium condensors.. that is a good find and i was about to say that. The AC's which costs less than 30k always comes with aluminium coil condensor and its prone to problems.

Any AC's bought after 2007 0r 2008 came with Aluminium condensors and it requires constant gas refilling. Guess why there are lot of guys who advertise they pay good money for Old AC's????? cos, they can resuse the copper condensors or extract copper which costs more in the scrap market.

Guys based on my findings, i would recommend people not go for AC's with aluminium condensors. Thats where Ogeneral, Hitachi, Daikin, Panasonic stands out. These brands have copper coils.

Back