Laptops Acer Swift 3 - Gaming on battery sucks

pratzgh1

Pratzgh1
Adept
HI Guys,

I have the Acer Swift 3 and absolutely love it but there is one thing that I hate. The Nvidia MX250 chip sits idle when there is no graphics intensive task but triggers when a game launches. That said, the gaming performance is viable when the laptop is connected to a power source but the same performance reduces drastically when the laptop is running on battery.

Is there a way to ensure that the graphics performance is not hindered when the laptop is running on battery power? Most of the time when I am bored and want to play a quick game, I want the best performance for those few minutes.

I barely use this machine for gaming but limiting gaming experience to a power source feels restrictive. I have tried setting power balance to performance and still no luck.

Eg. I play e-sport games like CS:GO, Paladins, Brawlhalla, etc. In Paladins, the laptop gives me over 130fps when connected to a power source but the same drops to 50fps when the game is run on battery.

If anyone knows a workaround, do let me know.

- Pratik

This might be something related to windows 10.
Look at the battery profile when not connected to power supply. It might be using battery saving mode. Try to see if you can set it to High performance (Right most)

Go into 'Change Advanced Power settings' in your power options and see what settings are reduced as compared to plugged in ones

This is how it is supposed to be to give you some semblance of battery life. Else it will eat through battery within 30 minutes at full clocks.

If you change the power plan to high performance, the GPU will run at full boost clocks but well the battery life will crater.

Last edited:
Back