Ache din are here, TRAI is planning to put usage fee on WhatsApp, Viber & the likes

avi

Skilled
Telcos are making losses as many people tend to use WhatsApp instead of SMS and Viber instead of calls. It is reported that telcos currently lose ₹5000 Cr. per year and it is expected to be ₹16,400 Cr. in next two years as mobile subscribers are increasing day by day.

So mobile companies including Airtel, Vodafone & Idea want app providers to pay connectivity charges.

The ache din are here folks.

read more: http://businesstoday.intoday.in/sto...fee-on-free-apps-whatsapp-viber/1/208856.html

So arent the companies like airtel minting money by providing pathetic speeds on their internet facilities, thereby offsetting the damages?? Oh yes, not to forget the ultra pathetic 2G/3G speeds.
Can they keep doing this everytime something threatens their profits?

Let them go ahead with this step

1) People will shift to something else. Viber/Gtalk/line etc
2) The backlash will be so high and bad, these providers + TRAI will never be able to get up to any level of dignity again ever.
And we are talking about global as well as local backlash here.

Last edited:
SMS is such an outdated tech. If Indian cellular carriers still expect ppl to use such old tech just so that they can fill thier pockets then best of luck to them. People will simply shift to other apps / messengers if they start charging app providers. Also @spacescream I agree 2G and 3G rates are so crap... and the coverage is even crappier !!

It is how some newspapers wanted to charge Google. That people use the search engine to search their news. So because of the newspaper, Google is gaining a profit for the SEO or some idiotic logic.

This is like literally: phone companies charging each and every MNC, since million$$$ deals are done using their airwaves....!

Losses of 5000 Cr.? I'm quite sure a bunch of CAs were paid generously to make these reports. Can someone enlighten me when SMS were even major part of their earnings? I remember people calling instead of sending an SMS because call rates were like 5p/min.

This is despite the fact that apart from DOCOMO everyone had prosperous Q earnings . Even FY was not at loss, its their greed thats driving it.

Didn't really understand what's the relation between TRAI's Proposal with Acche din? Seems like @avi is modi hater. Title could have been more sensible than completely absurd.

Telecoms have been asking for their share of pie from Social networking Sites and Apps.
What TRAI could have done is put an proposal on unlimited SMS pack just like in the United States at Nominal price of 60-70/month with Strict control of SMS spam and also by abolishing inter network SMS termination fees for operators.
Well, that could make users switch to SMS by avoiding Whatsapp to the maximum.

Last edited:
Losses of 5000 Cr.? I'm quite sure a bunch of CAs were paid generously to make these reports. Can someone enlighten me when SMS were even major part of their earnings? I remember people calling instead of sending an SMS because call rates were like 5p/min.
It's Right mate. A-VO-ID alone earned 3,000 Crore/FY as SMS revenue until 2011-12.

Coming to the point
Telcos have already launched Whatsapp specific plan including Airtel and BSNL i know of . Thats old news
So i am already paying for whatsapp if i take that plan .
What i do with my internet plan is not their jurisdiction . They sold me 1/2/3/5/10 GB and how i use it , is my business . Of course not doing anything illegal comes with it .

I am planning to sue big 4 accoungting firms because my practice has down ever since they set up shop here ....also for whoever prepared that absolutely stupid report of 5000cr ...its hilarious. Looks like the CIA wing of economic hitmen are training our accounting monkeys here.

Don't know if he's a hater or not but you guys surely are coming across as modi lovers :p

If I was, any new thing developing in India, I would have reported here by bashing congress or any other party. I just find it irritating that we come here on this forum for tech news, not to read about politics(except for politics section which I don't even touch anyways).

People taking offence because a cliché political slogan was used for dramatic effect? Guess they got too attached and aren't willing to let go :D (P.S. certified modi hater :rage:)

Apart from that, this issue is nothing but one more example of telecos killing net neutrality (not that it's even a concern in India at present). Netflix/YouTube and the likes are feeling the heat in US currently, but they will not be the ones who'll truly be affected. In fact, it can even help them seal their lead for a long time.

Just assume the big companies do agree to shell out. What about small business who are trying to come up in the same space? Not much capital to spend in the first place, and when they're breaking their heads trying to figure out their revenue stream, there is already one more unnecessary cost added. Not being able to afford the additional expense would mean a subpar experience for their users, thus losing out to the competition which have already established themselves (and can now make deals with telecos to attain the best service possible).

Startup ecosystem will be ruined. That's one of the main reasons why even the big companies are fighting against it. That's where most of them acquire talent and skills from. Startup founders are motivated to compete and come up with innovative solutions since there's a level playing ground. Take that away and you are also taking away a lot of potential innovations.

Charge for amount of data used and speeds, sure. But the type of data passing through ISPs shouldn't be their concern.

Back