Ache din are here, TRAI is planning to put usage fee on WhatsApp, Viber & the likes

killing or trying to kill ? which means they have not killed anything as yet.

Let's stick to india for the moment.
There's no such thing as net neutrality in India. The telecos already make deals with Google, Facebook and the likes to deliver their services free of cost to the subscribers. Despite there being no legal framework to check the same, the ISPs haven't breached anything as of yet though. I think the reason was they were experiencing huge growths. Once the market has settled down though, can't trust these companies much.
On what basis can they single out, arbitrarily, some apps out of others ?
It's like Mafia. They go after the app which is doing the most business.

Quality of service and support ? Really ? Half of the posts of Android Police are now filled with how shitty T-Mobile and Verizon and AT&T are and what kind of assholes the CC peeps behave like ! Everytime I read it, the most unanimous issue I see is the cartelisation of telecom (and broadband). So if TMob is predominant in one area, Verizon will possibly skip that place or limit their experience. Same for broadband.
Totally opposite in India. Every company is eyeing the public. Better rates, good competition. The level of cartelisation isn't as much as seen in the US. And again, my experience with Airtel has been pretty good so far.

I really do not care what it is abroad, or they are just as bad. There is no cartel here in India...! Just that the CC service practices are blatantly and rampantly false and malignant to the users. You can read my Tata Photon thread about this. This happens with most users. Disengagement is frowned upon and discouraged AND hampered. That is a huge delta in the name of this industry. Customers are made fools, incorrect billings, packs are loaded on, caller tunes are activated, and charges are kept non-opaque.

I really do not care what it is abroad, or they are just as bad. There is no cartel here in India...! Just that the CC service practices are blatantly and rampantly false and malignant to the users. You can read my Tata Photon thread about this. This happens with most users. Disengagement is frowned upon and discouraged AND hampered. That is a huge delta in the name of this industry. Customers are made fools, incorrect billings, packs are loaded on, caller tunes are activated, and charges are kept non-opaque.
You do have a bit of cartelisation. Recently almost all the telcos increased their prepaid pack prices (including 3G data AFAIR) at the same time so that no one would be questioned/go for a loss. Read an article on the same on TelecomTalk.

Most of the Indian population doesn't even know what's net neutrality is and NDA Gov TRAI is killing it before people can learn about it. This is some 8000 level genius shit.

You do have a bit of cartelisation. Recently almost all the telcos increased their prepaid pack prices (including 3G data AFAIR) at the same time so that no one would be questioned/go for a loss. Read an article on the same on TelecomTalk.

That could be. What is the bigger nemesis. The rampant bad practices, or the cartel movement. One leads to another...!

:)

An article that agrees with what I said in my post here
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/featur...ress-whatsapp-even-if-consumers-suffer-572283

Also I would like to point out that instead of crying foul over such things, tele co's shud clean thier background first. Incorrect billing, wrong scheme getting applied, underhanded advert tactics, flash messages and what not crap they pull over consumers to earn money is something I wanna protest about if they wanna cry foul over losing revenue to Mobile Messaging apps.
Talking of incorrect billings we had an outstanding bill of about 30k BSaNaL landline telephone. After lodging complaints the bill decreased to 25k. I still have no idea how. We completely stopped using it. Didn't pay the bill either. Its been 4-5 years now.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as net neutrality in India. The telecos already make deals with Google, Facebook and the likes to deliver their services free of cost to the subscribers.
Bulk of their subscribers or an important part uses those services. ISP's (airtel is one) will even offer cut rates internet access for facebook. Is this bad ? if one is prepared to limit themselves to one website then its customers choice. They are not forcing you to do this. Besides you can still access any other website out there that allows a connection from India.

So do you still think there is no net neutrality in India ?

Once the market has settled down though, can't trust these companies much.
Right now its in the talks stage. They are testing the waters. What are the chances of them getting their way ? cannot think of any precedent. To do this will set a precedent.

It's like Mafia. They go after the app which is doing the most business.
Noticed you used the term 'cartel' in another post. Is it possible to have a cartel when the biggest ISP or one with the widest reach is still govt controlled. The govt can do crazy things if it means votes, companies are usually nervous about the govt in India. think about retroactive taxation and vodafone. Surprsingly, the present govt with all of its mandate did not repeal this policy, merely promised it would not happen again. Right now, the amount of people using the net is increasing at double digit rates. Pissing people off in the future will be harder. At the same time building networks to scale for this need will only happen if there is a profit incentive. Otherwise its better to invest elsewhere in the world see airtel in Africa, who is looking to sell some of its stake there.

Last edited:
So...let me get this correct:

1. I pay for WhatsApp yearly plan to be covered by them
  2. I pay my service provider for internet
  3. I AGAIN pay for WhatsApp for using it via proxy?
IS there any logic in this?

2012 Loop Recharge amount denomination 19 rs converts all local call rate to 30 paisa within city.
2013 its 29
2014 its 39 and call rate is 40 paisa Now only....lol :p:p
The same they did with 2g and 3g plans pathetic :rage::rage::rage:

Roaming is also not yet free . I wonder they are trying to cover up for the losses that they will have with free roaming .

Roaming is also not yet free . I wonder they are trying to cover up for the losses that they will have with free roaming .

It's free on a lot of networks. Airtel has it with myplan on postpaid. Some Vodafone Delhi customers have it, but no consistency as to who offers it and who doesn't

Telcos are making losses as many people tend to use WhatsApp instead of SMS and Viber instead of calls. It is reported that telcos currently lose ₹5000 Cr. per year and it is expected to be ₹16,400 Cr. in next two years as mobile subscribers are increasing day by day.

So mobile companies including Airtel, Vodafone & Idea want app providers to pay connectivity charges.

The ache din are here folks.

read more: http://businesstoday.intoday.in/sto...fee-on-free-apps-whatsapp-viber/1/208856.html

What are the aftermaths of meeting with OTT or other apps service providers like Whatsapp n Viber? any latest news?

It's like the telecom companies want us to go back to the primitive ages and go and meet people in person instead of calling them... 1 paise per second was a big thing back then, now you've to pay a bit of money for that in my telecom circle.

Heck even BSNL, which is supposed to not reap profits like a doctor charges me 1.3 paise per second for local calls.

Back