PC Peripherals Advice for building a PC config ?

I need a cheap and low power PC that I can use to make builds overnight (My lappy gets very hot while doing long duration compile sessions and also becomes unusable for that much time, so not intending to use it). Can anyone suggest a cheap config for the same? But it should be powerful enough to carry out huge compilations (like a full linux distro) in a reasonable time and run cool and be light on power consumption (so as to use with ups to avoid session breaks during power outages). Also smallest form factor possible :)

Budget as less as possible, max 8-10k.

Is the above combination even possible in that budget range?

Would an atom PC be good for that?

Just saw a few other threads so thought of adding info in a proper format:

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 8-10k

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

None

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

None

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

This will be a headless system, so basically CPU + MB + Cabby + HDD + RAM

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Might add an optical drive later

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Online or Hyderabad

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

Yes (except HDD)

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Build PC and download rig (and occasional movie playback to TV)

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

A.NONE

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

No gaming

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Any flavour of linux (prefereably Debian or debian derived like Ubuntu)

get these

iball nettop 009 cabinet with psu-1200

intel atom dual core 330 with the board around 4600

2gb of ddr2 ram -transcend-around 2000rs

would set you back by 7600-7800rs.

i believe you have the other components.

this would be a good low power consuming web surfing rig! doubles up as a download server!

ATOM D945GCLF-ATOM board + ATOM 1.6 GHz - 3.1k

2GB DDRII 800MHz Transcend - 2k

Seagate 500GB 7200.12 - 2.4

IBall nettop 009 cabinet with PSU - 1.2k

So total 8.7k :) The single core atom will do for a browsing rig with Linux. if you need more power then consider the dual core atom for 4.5k. But for that much money you can get a AMD Sempron 140(1.85k) + Asus M2N68-AMPLUS(2.45k) - 4.3k. This is better than the dual core atom setup

Thanks guys. These configs are good starting points for me to do more analysis. Actually since this is a build pc it would require more horsepower as compared to a normal browsing\general purpose PC I guess.

Another thing is do you think these will be low power enough to be sustained on a UPS for about an hour as I wouldn't want my builds to be disrupted by outages (Just bashing my head now why I didn't buy a UPS with a usb link, with which I could have monitored the remaining backup time and did graceful shutdowns and all)

Well, Though the Atom is a low power consuming processor, it is a serious bottleneck. The whole platform is meant for just light computing and generally for online apps. For your compilation and other stuff that require power, you need to look at a dual core or something. I would suggest the Athlon II X2 240 with a 785G chipset MoBo with minimum 2GB RAM. (DDR2 is cheaper, I’d suggest getting that and the compatible MoBo). Any cabinet and a seagate 7200.12 500GB HDD. That would leave you poorer by approx 12k but will be well worth the extra.

Back