Advice on 40-42" LCD TV

Rave

ex-Mod
Need to buy one for my Uncle on behalf of my cousin has their wedding annivarsary which is on 21st, so have about 10 days to decide on a model

Obviously cant decide without having a look at them first and hence this thread to note the model numebers to look for

from what little bit of reading that ive done

LG has a 42LH50, Jazz LH60YR

Samsung has a 530, 550 and 650 series, no idea what does what so can someone shed some light on it, it'll be great

Sony has 500EX and any other model?

please do let me know if there are any phillips or sharp or panasonic models that I can look at as well, Budget is sub 60K and want it with official bill and warranty

Usage would be Hathway cable settopbox, normal dvd player thats it, no hd will be connected to it, atleast for the moment, might add a xbox 360 to it in the future so FHD would be nice and i guess pretty much all models these days are FHD only

users wont be fuzzy with PQ and features, just normal DTH should look good and the DVD movies as well so SD quality is very important

please give your opinions and also mention the prices for the above models as well if you happen to know

Ive read in another forum that someone got an Samsung 40" 530 or 550 something for 50k along with SUN DTH connection? does anyone know of such scheme? i guess the DTH is only with LED TVs? In any case, if I can get such a deal, ill get it so any pointers on this would be helpfull

TIA

Hi Rave,

Recently purchased a 32" EX 500 Sony Bravia and did a fair amount of research before buying...So, here is my gyan on LCDs...

- Sony and Samsung are best amongst the lot - Excellent picture clarity even on cable connection
- LG has added heavy speakers to give a theatre like feel, but poor on picture quality
- Panasonic and Philips are good internationally, but have poor presence in India... Older models, poor after sales could be the headaches!

Now, either Sony or Samsung, go for the models which are Full HD with 100hz Motionflow. Now, this technology is really cool when it comes to sports channels, movies ( car chasing, running etc). The clarity improves amazingly with motionflow. Sony Ex500 and EX700 have this in them. Samsung Series 6 and above also have this.( Samsung 650 etc)

Sony Ex500 40" is around 69k
Samsung 650 40" is around 65k

Both are great in color, clarity and overall picture clarity!

I would personally chose a Sony Bravia... But that's me:hap2::hap2:

I can personally vouch for the stunning picture quality of the Samsung B550 series though i mostly use it for HD playback.You should be able to get the B530 for 51k and B550 for 55k with Sun DTH connection(yea, they do have the promotion still running).The set can reproduce stunning black levels-though not the best in the class, but definitely, the best for the price IMHO.The motion handling of the set was also above expectations and i have watched all type of sports(F1, cricket, football) with no blur at all.

The only slight problem i had with the set was that there was a very slight juddering of the scene with panning shots, but believe me, in a day or two, u won't notice it AT ALL.

and yea, speakers seriously suck with respect to bass, but is very decent for normal usage.

A compact review

RedBull said:
I can personally vouch for the stunning picture quality of the Samsung B550 series though i mostly use it for HD playback.You should be able to get the B530 for 51k and B550 for 55k with Sun DTH connection(yea, they do have the promotion still running).The set can reproduce stunning black levels-though not the best in the class, but definitely, the best for the price IMHO.The motion handling of the set was also above expectations and i have watched all type of sports(F1, cricket, football) with no blur at all.

The only slight problem i had with the set was that there was a very slight juddering of the scene with panning shots, but believe me, in a day or two, u won't notice it AT ALL.

and yea, speakers seriously suck with respect to bass, but is very decent for normal usage.

A compact review

well I myself own a 32" series 5 for close to 2 years now and am very happy with it, SD quality aint that great with it though but i dontuse SD at all, since all the usage in the above case is watching SD, was looking at other options

ripper righly said about after sales service which is very important factor, do lcds come with standard 1 year warranty like in the case of samsung or other manufacturers offer more?

well samsung B530/b550 are good lcds for the price,but they are soon to be replaced with the C5xx.thats why they are bundling SUN HD dth so that they can clear the old stocks,with the offer its a good deal.

the EX400 is the equivalent model which is also great has a slight edge in SD quality,but then again its more expensive,but are a steal in the grey market costs around 48k vs 59k in showroom.

the 100hz models are well above the 60k budget.

samsung and sony offer 1 year warranty,but i think panasonic lcd have 3 years warranty,but their performance is close to the bottom end.

adder said:
well samsung B530/b550 are good lcds for the price,but they are soon to be replaced with the C5xx.thats why they are bundling SUN HD dth so that they can clear the old stocks,with the offer its a good deal.

the EX400 is the equivalent model which is also great has a slight edge in SD quality,but then again its more expensive,but are a steal in the grey market costs around 48k vs 59k in showroom.

the 100hz models are well above the 60k budget.

samsung and sony offer 1 year warranty,but i think panasonic lcd have 3 years warranty,but their performance is close to the bottom end.

the sun dth offer is applicable through out their range or only for led?

if its through out the range, 530 samsung looks very tempting, considering the type of usage involved

If ur watchin dth, then lg has very good quality.. The basic 42inch model has v good pic quality overall.. If ur suggesting or buying for someone else, jazz theatre is also a good option, they will appreciate the sound..the pic quality is amazing too..

The samsung b550 is an awesome panel too, but sound wise all of them really suck..In sony, the bx series is plain fugly, ex is bearably, and nx is a beauty, but the glare is unbearable..the sound on nx series is also good..though not like jazz theatre,but it was loud and clear..

If u get the sun dth offer, go for samsung, else do give a serious look at lg, with out any bias..

adder said:
What improvements will the C5xx offer over the B5xx ?

Rave said:
whats the difference between BX and EX series?

at the moment, its either between the above sony and samsung LA40B530, subject to the sun dth offer

the BX is the low cost version,with simplified menu,lesser input connections,perhaps with OEM suppliers stock backlight and color filter.

the EX like the earlier V series and above would have a different panel with custom color filter made according to sony specs.its has the ps style XMB menus.

blr_p said:
What improvements will the C5xx offer over the B5xx ?
it will be similar to sony new models,with cosmetic changes and newer spec panels.

Ive almost decided on the Samsung 530 40" unless there are some other offers in todays or tomorrow's papers, going to get it :D

See if you can find the last few pieces of the Philips 9703. I got mine for 56k and honestly it kills every TV in that price range. Its not even close. You get 2 inches more, 100Hz, a 10 bit IPS panel supporting x.v wide color gamut with 2ms response and the best motion resolution in the business.

PS: Also has *amazing* sound for an LCD TV.

@adder, is there any proof to ur claims mate? cuz im gonna buy a LCD like next week and was undecided about BX vs EX (42k,50k grey prices) so if u have any source for ur claims will go for EX.

Chaos said:
See if you can find the last few pieces of the Philips 9703. I got mine for 56k and honestly it kills every TV in that price range. Its not even close. You get 2 inches more, 100Hz, a 10 bit IPS panel supporting x.v wide color gamut with 2ms response and the best motion resolution in the business.

PS: Also has *amazing* sound for an LCD TV.

I saw Philips 7xxx model for 57k, will recheck it once again when I go tomorrow

memnom said:
@adder, is there any proof to ur claims mate? cuz im gonna buy a LCD like next week and was undecided about BX vs EX (42k,50k grey prices) so if u have any source for ur claims will go for EX.

well whats the info u want to know.

Rave said:
I saw Philips 7xxx model for 57k, will recheck it once again when I go tomorrow

That isn't too bad either - it has a slightly cheaper panel but has 100Hz which the Samsung you are looking for lacks.

This particular TV uses an ASV screen so black levels should be comparable to the Samsung or better if you get unlucky and land up with a Samsung that has a CMO panel.

PS: It also supports mkv/h.264 off a usb stick.

Back