Advice on a good heater

Nothing much just looking for a good quality room heater for my mother who is a senior citizen. We have a really old one which just burns a lot of electricity (2000 watts) and makes the air of the room smell funny (in a bad way). So looking for those which has fan nowadays and should not burn a lot of electricity really. 1000 watt heater possible to get from a decent brand? Also safety measures should be top notch above all (electric shocks).

Kindly advise.

Thanks. Those oil filled heaters are great but don't really want to spend that much right now. Just sticking to the standard 2k budget for this now.

I also noticed that there are some electric blankets available, wondering whether that would be a more rational choice to go for over a heater!

Nothing much just looking for a good quality room heater for my mother who is a senior citizen.
What is the area of the space you want to heat ?

Presently this is what i use with just one element on kept a few feet away from the feet.

400W consumed for one element and twice as much for two.

It does create a feeling of warmth even if my room thermometer can't detect it.

The elements cannot be replaced so if you use it every day for three months its likely you have have to replace by the end of the cold season.
Post automatically merged:

I also noticed that there are some electric blankets available, wondering whether that would be a more rational choice to go for over a heater!
Could work but is more constraining.

How will you use the heater ? when sleeping or when sitting and awake.

We don't use the heater when sleeping.

What is the area of the space you want to heat ?
The room she stays in is 14x12 but obviously no need to even heat half of the room as the bed she sleeps in is at a corner and I place the heater a few feet away from the bed and facing towards the bed.

Presently this is what i use with just one element on kept a few feet away from the feet.

400W consumed for one element and twice as much for two.

It does create a feeling of warmth even if my room thermometer can't detect it.

The elements cannot be replaced so if you use it every day for three months its likely you have have to replace by the end of the cold season.

This is a decent product it seems but I am really looking for one with a fan as it disburses the heat much more naturally and spreads faster too. I can work with a 1000 watt unit (less will obviously be better).

So far I have seen several fan heaters from the likes of Bajaj, Orient, Orpat etc.
Post automatically merged:

Could work but is more constraining.

How will you use the heater ? when sleeping or when sitting and awake.

We don't use the heater when sleeping.
No it will be used an hour before bed time. Never any electric products is used while she is sleeping.

The electric blankets, are those even safe? I checked on Amazon but not a single product has very good reviews all have mixed bag feedback which is not reassuring at all! Any recommendation there?

This is a decent product it seems but I am really looking for one with a fan as it disburses the heat much more naturally and spreads faster too. I can work with a 1000 watt unit (less will obviously be better).

So far I have seen several fan heaters from the likes of Bajaj, Orient, Orpat etc.
I think you would need at least twice that power. Less than 1000 will be too less.

The electric blankets, are those even safe? I checked on Amazon but not a single product has very good reviews all have mixed bag feedback which is not reassuring at all! Any recommendation there?
Not looked into this. Other possibilities are a hot water bag but this is cumbersome as you have to heat water. Or even packs that can heated in the microwave but i don't think these are available locally. They keep their heat for a couple of hours before cooling down.

For electric blankets something branded and well reviewed is best.

Buy an Usha FH812T. Have been using a few of them for nearly a decade. Has 2 heat settings corresponding to 1000 W and 2000 W and a basic thermostat as well which keeps switching the heater on and off automatically all night.

Nothing much just looking for a good quality room heater for my mother who is a senior citizen. We have a really old one which just burns a lot of electricity (2000 watts) and makes the air of the room smell funny (in a bad way). So looking for those which has fan nowadays and should not burn a lot of electricity really. 1000 watt heater possible to get from a decent brand? Also safety measures should be top notch above all (electric shocks).

Kindly advise.
Don't skimp on the wattage.
Wattage = heating. Electric heater is 100% efficient device therefore more the wattage - more the heat generated.

Ultimately for you what matters is a comfortable temperature of air - say about 22-23 deg C. Therefore get a heater with thermostat (where you can set a temperature level)
If you take a low wattage heater, say 500 W, it will need to run 4 times longer to heat the air to the same extent as a 2000 W and thus make you comfortable.
Also, if you have thermostat, it doesn't matter whether you buy a 100 W heater or 10000 W heater. The on-off cycle of thermostat will ensure that both consume similar levels of electricity.

Now coming over to the mechanism of heat dispersion. I do not prefer blower type however the heat transfer is higher for blower type (this means that air gets heated faster for the same wattage).
My preference is for radiation type - however the old radiation types used to have the naked heating coil which could be accidentally touched by kids / clothing etc thus posing a hazard (and the smell) . The new type of "oil heaters" eliminate that risk since the heating coil is buried deep inside the circulating oil and it is the warm oil that heats the air. Thus you can touch the heater surface and not get burnt. And definitely no risk of fire.

For sure the Oil radiators will not be "100% efficient"
All electric heaters are 100% efficient. That means all the electric current that goes into heating comes out as heat only.
What you may mean is the heat transfer coefficient (transfer of this heat produced to you) which is poorest for pure radiation type and increases with higher speed convection.

Back