Car & Bike Advise on Royal Enfield

After going through all these posts, i can't help myself but envy people with bullets.
clapping.gif

Wish i could buy one too, but have to get my driving lessons cleared with some light weight bikes and have to get through my near future expenses.

That is not necessary. People think that these are heavy bikes and assume they will be more difficult to ride. i learned riding a bike on a bull and have only ridden a Bullet all my life. Same with my dad, though both of us also knew how to ride scooters before that. It is funny but both my dad and I learned to ride on the same scooter and the same bullet.

I sometimes however think that i should have ridden other bikes too when i had a chance because now i find it difficult because the gear and the brake pedals are on the opposite sides. Come to think of it i haven't ever ridden any bike other than a Bullet. Even when riding a friends bike it used to be a bullet, becuase in chandigarh it is like the most popular/common bike you see on road.

That is not necessary. People think that these are heavy bikes and assume they will be more difficult to ride. i learned riding a bike on a bull and have only ridden a Bullet all my life. Same with my dad, though both of us also knew how to ride scooters before that. It is funny but both my dad and I learned to ride on the same scooter and the same bullet.

I sometimes however think that i should have ridden other bikes too when i had a chance because now i find it difficult because the gear and the brake pedals are on the opposite sides. Come to think of it i haven't ever ridden any bike other than a Bullet. Even when riding a friends bike it used to be a bullet, becuase in chandigarh it is like the most popular/common bike you see on road.

I echo him.. same is the case with me.

Though, I had driven Activa in my early and mid teenage, the first and the only bike I had ridden is Bullet.

I discover the "heavy" thing only when it is punctured and i had to push it to mechanic's place

I echo him.. same is the case with me.

Though, I had driven Activa in my early and mid teenage, the first and the only bike I had ridden is Bullet.

I discover the "heavy" thing only when it is punctured and i had to push it to mechanic's place

I have experienced that too. It gives you quite a workout. Sometimes i think my father takes out the air from the tyres on purpose, to give my lazy ass a workout.

actually.... the bike being heavy actually has a lot of advantages... first of, it has much better roadgrip, and much better stability at higher speeds which enables a more relaxed less tiring journey.. second advantage, when riding on highways, the wind effects that cause lighter bikes to sway especially while overtaking trucks at high speeds, is minimal.. .the bigger engine actually runs more stress free and hence we ride stress free. .

the better roadgrip translates in better and more stable braking, however it is also a matter of skill how efficiently one can use the bikes weight to its advantages... for the people who argue that heavier bikes are harder to ride, heres the thing..once you start off on the bike, i mean just start off from a standstill so that the bike can be balanced and you dont need to put your foot down, noone even feels the weight.. the engine capacity has been given accordingly and one cant feel that its getting stressed to lug all that heavy metal around..

hey guys.. its almost six months since i started this thread.. and now i am finally getting my 350 on dushera.. really excited.. booked on 18th april .. getting on 24th oct.. thats exactly 6 months 6 days of waiting..

already taking care of running in.. will post a few pics this weekend... the stock dual horns with the bull are loud enough to scare people in front of me ... especially girls struggling to merely keep a stable hand with their puny scooty peps... its just been 2 days.. already done a 140 kms.....

Yes, so be a responsible driver.

I am.. infact, in my whole family and friend circle i am one of the most responsible driver and rider. but there are few things that just tick off my tolerance nerve.. like girls and new drivers driving and riding right in the middle of the road at about 20 kmph and refusing to give pass.. maniacal drivers trying to overtake without proper fore warning and then waiting for a pass.. instead they just pull the car up so close they almost knock you over.. the bike definitely has a highway horn..

and i dont know whats wrong with some people.. i mean i have seen stupid F**kheads literally riding their bike, on a busy road, as if they are doing a slalom course.. and some even go crazy to just keep turning their handles .. am not even able to explain it.. they just keep shaking the bike left and right even if going at 40 kmph .. and for some reason they enjoy it.. a loud horn is what is required to suddenly scare them and teach them some manners..

^Relativity does not a good rider make, young padwan :D. If you aspire to be/believe you are a good rider, you have to hold yourself to absolute standards. :)

I would advise you to follow the free servicing schedule and initial speed limits religously. If you do, the bike will not give you any major cause for worry. ever.

Enjoy the ride :D

I wouldnt say Duke is anything like the pulsar or yamaha ones. Its way better in ride quality and got loads of power. Apparently the prices of Duke are gonna be jacked up. I heard from the dealer that by first quarter in 2013 it will go near 1.8L. Market penetration strategy seems to be complete. And additional colors will be available at the new prices.

I wouldnt say Duke is anything like the pulsar or yamaha ones. Its way better in ride quality and got loads of power. Apparently the prices of Duke are gonna be jacked up. I heard from the dealer that by first quarter in 2013 it will go near 1.8L. Market penetration strategy seems to be complete. And additional colors will be available at the new prices.

its a good bike.. good power.. but very uncomfortable riding position.. my little brother has got it.. plus one more problem, in the duke, the front braking is awesome while rear braking is shit.. not because the brakes are bad.. its got quite smooth soft compound tyres which need to heat up before they can provide proper roadgrip. and the heating doesnt really happen in our city riding conditions.. one more petty drawback.. doesnt really cause problems in routine. and thats about removing the sparkplug. the dukes sparkplug is located right on top of the cylinder and hence if it needs to be removed the tank needs to be removed which takes a lot of time.. lot of hardwork just to remove a sparkplug..

and about the prices going to 1.8L.. i find that a little hard to believe.. they wont jack up the prices so much without any upgradations.. this might be the price for the higher displacement duke that is in the talks of being launched next year.. i think its going to be 300 or 350cc.

- - - Updated - - -

its not about market penetration.. if the duke 200s prices are jacked up so high, its going to stop selling instantly no matter how nice the engine is.. the 200cc is going to have its power and torque limitations inspite of external power boosting methods, and noones going to pay 1.8L + Overheads for a 200 cc bike with no real pillion riding potential. why wont anyone rather buy a 500cc royal enfield, or even the Honda cbr 250 for that matter..

its a good bike.. good power.. but very uncomfortable riding position.. my little brother has got it.. plus one more problem, in the duke, the front braking is awesome while rear braking is shit.. not because the brakes are bad.. its got quite smooth soft compound tyres which need to heat up before they can provide proper roadgrip. and the heating doesnt really happen in our city riding conditions.. one more petty drawback.. doesnt really cause problems in routine. and thats about removing the sparkplug. the dukes sparkplug is located right on top of the cylinder and hence if it needs to be removed the tank needs to be removed which takes a lot of time.. lot of hardwork just to remove a sparkplug..

and about the prices going to 1.8L.. i find that a little hard to believe.. they wont jack up the prices so much without any upgradations.. this might be the price for the higher displacement duke that is in the talks of being launched next year.. i think its going to be 300 or 350cc.

- - - Updated - - -

its not about market penetration.. if the duke 200s prices are jacked up so high, its going to stop selling instantly no matter how nice the engine is.. the 200cc is going to have its power and torque limitations inspite of external power boosting methods, and noones going to pay 1.8L + Overheads for a 200 cc bike with no real pillion riding potential. why wont anyone rather buy a 500cc royal enfield, or even the Honda cbr 250 for that matter..
I somehow don't like any sports bike because of the odd driving position. Thunderbird is the second most comfortable bike in India after Avenger imo.

Duke cant be compared to any sports bike from yamaha or honda or pulsar. Rather can be compared to naked segment like FZ, 200NS etc. And in this segment the duke really shines, it brings back the memories of two stroke engines, a rev happy motor, but the riding position and naked nature means wind blast at high speeds, so not comfortable at high speeds. For cruising at around 100-110, its the best bike Indian market has got presently. Personally ripped it till 130, feels that the motor is crying, but its the way the motor is built. Pillion comfort compromised but way better compared to R15v2 (second floor).

Ride quality is better in Yamaha and Honda. As said above, the rear brakes in duke should be modified, coz it tends to skid during extreme braking. Front brakes and shocks are too good, one of the best in industry.

As far as price hike is concerned, I dont see Duke 200 selling over 1.5L max.

I was really confused between a duke and r15v2, but as I already have a RX135, I went for something different. In future, I have decided that I will be getting a duke 390 ;)

- - - Updated - - -

My dream bike, but sadly I dont have physics to match the beasty looks of this bike :)
heres a few pics of my new bike .. just removed the rear seat.. completed 600 kms

My Gawd! Serious discussion going on here.
Well, since you have been on your pulsar for so long...bullet will be a change.
Bullet riders feel that they ride real bikes while others ride plastic toys. If you are after speed....don't go bullet way...its a cruiser and a way of life.
It requires more investment in terms of time, patience but once you learn to live with the gliches, its thoroughly enjoyable...its a different riding experience and definitely not a means to get from point A to point B. If that is your motive then there are a lot of more practical bikes but if you want to enjoy life riding at 70 kmph...there are few other options.

Can't really agree more. Speedy bike freaks get disappointed with Bullets sooner or later. Rightly said "its a cruiser and a way of life."
Cheers!
Avenger 220 is a very good option as it is comfortable, fast and needs less maintenance.
My Gawd! Serious discussion going on here.
Well, since you have been on your pulsar for so long...bullet will be a change.
Bullet riders feel that they ride real bikes while others ride plastic toys. If you are after speed....don't go bullet way...its a cruiser and a way of life.
It requires more investment in terms of time, patience but once you learn to live with the gliches, its thoroughly enjoyable...its a different riding experience and definitely not a means to get from point A to point B. If that is your motive then there are a lot of more practical bikes but if you want to enjoy life riding at 70 kmph...there are few other options.

Back