Car & Bike Advise on Royal Enfield

I really don't think the classics have made the bullet a speed demon, they still are high torque, low hp bikes. The classic engine is capable of sustained 100kph speeds without seizing. Its still not possible to do too much more on a sustained basis without a death wish.

I was actually talking with a german colleague (a bike freak himself, he has 7 bikes, the newest being a 1977 BMW). He tried my friends classic, and when I told him that the engine was a modern , reliable unit needing only minimal attention, he was both impressed and a bit disappointed. The bonding that happens when you have to fix your machine in the middle of nowhere in just incomparble

I was a guy who used to think like the many here, buy a race bike,or should say was about to purchase one(accumulated cash and almost purchased).
But now am proud to say that am a bullet fan. Just envying some of my friends who have already booked and some who already bought.
Racing is all part of the youth.A bullet is for a lifetime, a minimum for 10-15 years.
None of the race bikes can claim such a longevity.
And yeah i too like racing and that is what is keeping me away form sports bike; after seeing lots of heart-breaking accidents and very honestly said,am a rash driver. So it all depends on the style of one's ride,you like or dislike a RE.
Sadly the cash got spent on something else.Now awaiting a bullet,maybe in the very near year or after few years but would vouch only for a bullet.
I hope this thread doesn't stray into a Android-IOS similar debate.:lol:
Just my thoughts.

I was a guy who used to think like the many here, buy a race bike,or should say was about to purchase one(accumulated cash and almost purchased).
But now am proud to say that am a bullet fan. Just envying some of my friends who have already booked and some who already bought.
Racing is all part of the youth.A bullet is for a lifetime, a minimum for 10-15 years.
None of the race bikes can claim such a longevity.
And yeah i too like racing and that is what is keeping me away form sports bike; after seeing lots of heart-breaking accidents and very honestly said,am a rash driver. So it all depends on the style of one's ride,you like or dislike a RE.
Sadly the cash got spent on something else.Now awaiting a bullet,maybe in the very near year or after few years but would vouch only for a bullet.
I hope this thread doesn't stray into a Android-IOS similar debate.:lol:
Just my thoughts.

I have a 15 year old Bullet that I have been riding for the past 7 years. I have rarely ridden another bike. The thing is that even though it is very stable at high speeds the stopping power is very dismal and I dare not ride it over 60 unless I have a death wish. Also I am regularly overtaken by Activas when you start from a standing position as in case of traffic signals.
So most of the time I feel disappointed. However for a long ride on the highway nothing even comes close to cruising in the 4th gear at 50kmph atop a Bullet.
That is the only time I feel it worth investing the time and care that I have showered on this bike.

Bullets are for life if maintained properly :)
I have a 15 year old Bullet that I have been riding for the past 7 years. I have rarely ridden another bike. The thing is that even though it is very stable at high speeds the stopping power is very dismal and I dare not ride it over 60 unless I have a death wish. Also I am regularly overtaken by Activas when you start from a standing position as in case of traffic signals.
So most of the time I feel disappointed. However for a long ride on the highway nothing even comes close to cruising in the 4th gear at 50kmph atop a Bullet.
That is the only time I feel it worth investing the time and care that I have showered on this bike.

Totally disagree :no2:. Well classics just changed that.
Er....why sir?
8 second+ 0-60 acceleration speeds compared to sub 4.5 second 0-60 in bikes of similar range (and still sub 7 secs to 60 in bikes half the price)...but to be honest, bike feels faster accelerating due to the thump (maybe)..and also you get a lot of traffic clearance due to the road presence....so better area to zoom past the karizmas and pulsars.

Hello,
I am planning to buy a bullet for short trips on sat and sun at bangalore. I am looking at either classic 500 or TB 500. I am 5.10" tall. Please suggest me a bullet in terms of comfort and less tiredeness. Also any benefit in opting for Dessert storm instead of Classic 500?. Hopefully will take a test drive today.

Experts ur urgent feedback.

All the classics are the same, Desert Storm is only a color scheme. TB has more bells and whistles than a classic (like digital meters and dual disks etc) and has more hooks for bungee cords.
The classic handles a little better due to the geometry of the bike.

Just take a test ride of both, buy the one that feels better for you.

Thanks for the quick advise. Test drive Classic 500 and feels good, TB 500 was not avbl. Waiting period for CI500 is 4 months. Planning to buy used one, mostly 2012/ 2013 model. Any idea on reasonable price for 2012 and 2013 blue or maroon model. Black commands a premium i beleive.

So how does it feel when a Hero Honda Splendor overtakes you at 60 km/hr.

So how does it feel when a Hero Honda Splendor overtakes you at 60 km/hr.

I don't pay heed to those things anymore and enjoy my ride. I am however looking to buy a new bike as I am moving to Himachal and the one and only experience I had on my Bullet riding to Kasauli was pathetic. The bike felt dismally underpowered and the return journey was hazardous and jerky due to me having to use engine braking as the drum brakes are pathetic.

Get a Duke 390.

For some reason it is the onli bike enfield people upgrade to without hating it.

I was thinking about the 390 but I do need a bike which even my father can drive easily and has a comfortable pillion seat as well. Will take a look at Tbird with the new dual disks. Personally I would love to pick up a second hand Ninja 650 for around 3.5L.

The bike looks quite ugly. No harmony and aesthetics. Well, I am no biker.
Haha. I think it looks awesome and that's what naked/dirt bikes look like. And performance is the main criteria in this segment of bikes and not the looks. Plastics are used aplenty to keep the bike as light as possible and that too plays a part in the under appreciated looks of the bike.

Haha. I think it looks awesome and that's what naked/dirt bikes look like. And performance is the main criteria in this segment of bikes and not the looks. Plastics are used aplenty to keep the bike as light as possible and that too plays a part in the under appreciated looks of the bike.

I agree to your point 100%. I have not "driven" bikes, so would not know about functionality vs. looks. But it seems an eye-sore when compared to the metal and stone of The Bullet, you all are raving about..! LOL. The Royal Enfield bikes are synonomous with style, grace, and an Indian machine. I remember (I mentioned this before), back in the early 90's our neighbor (from NZ) finished his tenure in India. Prior to moving, 2 months, he bought a Bullet 500cc (maybe 350, not sure, did 500cc even exist then, but it was military green), broke the machine in, and shipped it to NZ. It was waiting for him when he landed in NZ, never to come back to India. He passed away within 8-9 months, but his son used it, when he came of age. Both said "it reminds us of India". When his wife came over to visit us, she had a list of parts to carry over for the Bullet....![DOUBLEPOST=1414434022][/DOUBLEPOST]Add on:
The only bike I can relate to is the JAWA. My dad had one, and he used to dismantle it himself (totally take it apart) and service it. My mom tells me: a few weeks after their marriage, dad forgot his marriage band in the grease pan for 3-4 nights. LOL. Mom retrieved it, and he never wore it again. Later on dad sold the bike, so we could buy a COLOR TV. Brand: Oscar. What times.

Last edited:
The bike looks quite ugly. No harmony and aesthetics. Well, I am no biker.

I do completely agree with what you are saying and I've mentioned "some strange reason"

Trust me, I do frequent a lot of auto forums and a lot of the Duke buyers are people who had started finding their steeds underpowered. I do attribute this to the fact that the enfield riders have fairings(plastics) and as such want a modern bike which retains as much of the charm of their enfield as possible.
The fact that the Duke has a pretty decent exhaust note and sounds almost like a 2 stroke adds to its appeal.

The aesthetics? Well, thats a compromise they have to make.

I do completely agree with what you are saying and I've mentioned "some strange reason"

Trust me, I do frequent a lot of auto forums and a lot of the Duke buyers are people who had started finding their steeds underpowered. I do attribute this to the fact that the enfield riders have fairings(plastics) and as such want a modern bike which retains as much of the charm of their enfield as possible.
The fact that the Duke has a pretty decent exhaust note and sounds almost like a 2 stroke adds to its appeal.

The aesthetics? Well, thats a compromise they have to make.

I find the exhaust note of Duke to be downright boring. For that matter even a Ninja with an inline engine has a muted exhaust note in front of other bikes. What works best for either the Duke or the N650 is the VFM factor.

@asingh - My Nanaji has had a couple of Jawas and Yezdis along with Enfields over his lifetime and I have had the pleasure to be a pillion on most of them during my childhood. This is the reason I won't be selling or letting my Dad sell our Enfield. Older machines used to have simple engines and designs and that alone was a strong reason for their cult status. Unfortunately, same can't be said about new machines, not even Enfields. Enfields have always been unrefined, closest analogy being a stubborn horse that one would take pride in taming. Unfortunately, they can't be tinkered with like earlier days and that for guys like me is why they have lost the charm. Most importantly, the thump is completely ruined and so I am gonna buy a practical bike this time instead of letting my heart weigh in on the decision.

- My Nanaji has had a couple of Jawas and Yezdis along with Enfields over his lifetime and I have had the pleasure to be a pillion on most of them during my childhood. This is the reason I won't be selling or letting my Dad sell our Enfield. Older machines used to have simple engines and designs and that alone was a strong reason for their cult status. Unfortunately, same can't be said about new machines, not even Enfields. Enfields have always been unrefined, closest analogy being a stubborn horse that one would take pride in taming. Unfortunately, they can't be tinkered with like earlier days and that for guys like me is why they have lost the charm. Most importantly, the thump is completely ruined and so I am gonna buy a practical bike this time instead of letting my heart weigh in on the decision.

Thanks for the nice reply...!

The Jawa / Yezdi is a classic. I remember their gear shifter integrated into the kick. It had to be pressed in to engage the starting mechanism.

Though, how much has the engine design (overall mechanics) changed of the Bullet. They have a model with the gear shifter like other bikes. Is it just the same engine, but with the gear changer located on the other side via a shaft / rod.

I find the exhaust note of Duke to be downright boring. For that matter even a Ninja with an inline engine has a muted exhaust note in front of other bikes. What works best for either the Duke or the N650 is the VFM factor.

@asingh - My Nanaji has had a couple of Jawas and Yezdis along with Enfields over his lifetime and I have had the pleasure to be a pillion on most of them during my childhood. This is the reason I won't be selling or letting my Dad sell our Enfield. Older machines used to have simple engines and designs and that alone was a strong reason for their cult status. Unfortunately, same can't be said about new machines, not even Enfields. Enfields have always been unrefined, closest analogy being a stubborn horse that one would take pride in taming. Unfortunately, they can't be tinkered with like earlier days and that for guys like me is why they have lost the charm. Most importantly, the thump is completely ruined and so I am gonna buy a practical bike this time instead of letting my heart weigh in on the decision.

Have a look at Inazuma 250. oodles of torque and good power for those curvy roads @ himachal. Add to that suzuki reliability, great build quality and big bike looks with dual cans.

Back