Airtel BB - Chennai plans upgraded to combat ACT

DarkAngel

Skilled
Airtel plans in Chennai were so poor until few days back. They were offering a paltry 30GB for ~Rs.1500+Tax.

Now they are upgraded plans overnight to match ACT and is now better than Bangalore! They have matched ACT for FUP Limit at any given price (albeit max speed of 16Mbps) but has thrown in free unlimited local and STD from Rs.1099 plan onwards.

All Plans offer 16Mbps speed and plans above Rs.1099 has unlimited Local+STD calls (FUP of 5,000 Minutes per month)

Rs. 999 - 50GB
Rs.1,099 - 75GB
Rs.1,299 - 100GB
Rs.1,499 - 125GB
Rs.1999 - 200GB
mEoPkLU.png

There has to be a limit to the apathy being shown towards the northies.
I would stick my neck out and say, that this is a plan to wedge a divide between the people of India. The AVoID cartel ought to be tried for sedition.

..Btw, congrats Chennaites.

Chennai plans upgraded again, to match ACT FUP limits. All plans expect the 999 comes with unlimited Local+STD minutes. (Was very handy in Chennai after mobile towers went down after Vardah)
Rs. 999 - 60GB
Rs.1,099 - 90GB
Rs.1,299 - 125GB
Rs.1,499 - 150GB
Rs.1999 - 250GB

I kept monitoring their site after ACT upgraded FUP few weeks back. The plan didn't auto change for me. I called up the CC and they manually changed it to 90GB (Rs.1099) plan. Though they claimed it was auto-upgraded for most users. So if you are using Airtel BB in Chennai and your FUP limits have not increased call them up and get it increased.

Last edited:
^^ The details only mention the price and download limit. What are the speeds?

Who'd have thought :p

Lol, meant to type something else.
Download speed in regular ADSL is upto 16Mbps and via V-Fiber its about 30Mbps-40Mbps.
Upload speed in regular ADSL is upto 1Mbps and via V-Fiber its about 8-10Mbps.

Connectivity wise its rock solid. It was working even during the Chennai cyclone. Also as far as airtel BB plans are concerned these FUP limits are the best in the country after Hyderabad (and may other smaller cities in AP)

Lol, meant to type something else.
Download speed in regular ADSL is upto 16Mbps and via V-Fiber its about 30Mbps-40Mbps.
Upload speed in regular ADSL is upto 1Mbps and V-Fiber its about 8-10Mbps.

Connectivity wise its rock solid. It was working even during the Chennai cyclone.

Yea, cause the DSL lines are underground, not sure how the fiber lines are being laid. Also, they havent yet updgraded all of their setup, in the heart of the city, they are still only offering 8mbps.

Yea, cause the DSL lines are underground, not sure how the fiber lines are being laid. Also, they havent yet updgraded all of their setup, in the heart of the city, they are still only offering 8mbps.

Yes, even in my area they have upgraded in few places but haven't in few others. My connection is still not upgraded to v-fiber and limited to 16 Mbps. V-Fiber speeds are from my friend's place which is nearby.

Their V-Fiber is also not full fledged fiber as in the case of ACT. They are using some kind of tech to provide enhanced ADSL. (according to my understanding)

Yes, even in my area they have upgraded in few places but haven't in few others. My connection is still not upgraded to v-fiber and limited to 16 Mbps. V-Fiber speeds are from my friend's place which is nearby.

Their V-Fiber is also not full fledged fiber as in the case of ACT. They are using some kind of tech to provide enhanced ADSL. (according to my understanding)
which are are u coming from Chennai at where

btw i am on act home and office which i am happy more than 1.5 year

which are are u coming from Chennai at where

btw i am on act home and office which i am happy more than 1.5 year

Velachery - some societies are upgraded to v-fiber. Some societies haven't been. The v-fiber speeds are from a friends place in Tiruvanmiyur. He switched from ACT to Airtel V-Fiber since ACT was down for several weeks after Vardah.

Chennai plans upgraded again, to match ACT FUP limits.
Ah I got auto upgraded a month back and was wondering why.

^^ The details only mention the price and download limit. What are the speeds?
Airtel has long stopped charging for speeds and has simplified it to just data. On the flip side, they have less of an incentive to bump users up to higher speeds. I was still on 4Mbps till just a few months back :dead:

Yeah, it's just VDSL. Thats why they're calling it 'V' fiber. They do need to extend their fiber a bit. But since the last mile connectivity still uses the existing copper, on paper they should be able to roll out faster, yet they're surprisingly lax.

Yeah, it's just VDSL. Thats why they're calling it 'V' fiber. They do need to extend their fiber a bit. But since the last mile connectivity still uses the existing copper, on paper they should be able to roll out faster, yet they're surprisingly lax.

This, apparently all they have to do is upgrade their ports and they are very lax, both at my Chennai and BLR locations, I am getting 8 and 16mbps speed respectively.

My parents to changed to the new V-Fiber plans. Nice Router but lousy speeds. They said 40Mbps first and then will be upgraded to 100Mbps. But so far range of 16 to 20 Mbps. We earlier had 16Mbps for a year or so.
Also do note the FUP is now data, earlier only downloads were counted for FUP. Now it includes both Up/Down. So beware of this change.

BSNL has capped after FUP speeds at 1Mbps while Airtel caps at 512Kbps. BSNL also never had a downtime in my cousins place during the storm days save 3 hours middle of the storm while his ACT was ripped off for the whole month. Our Airtel was down for 12 days. Airtel offered a waiver of part of bill also.

Just to give the impact of the downtime face by us due to storm.

Plans upgraded again. Now exactly matches ACT. But the upgrade is not yet reflecting in the my airtel app. CC says he was not able to manually upgrade my FUP. Might take couple of days. If someone got their FUP auto upgraded please drop a note here.

Incredible growth in FUP limits though. It has gone from about ~30GB to 225GB for the Rs.1,499 plan in just under 11 months.

2roou4i.jpg

Last edited:
Does the 225 GB data includes upload count as well ? If yes, it's a s**tty plan overall.

As far as I remember that was the case with airtel from the beginning.(BSNL also counts it) They always used to count UL as part of FUP. Only ACT and these new age Fiber players are different.
Anyways compared to what they were offering last year for the same amount of money it is a incredible growth in FUP.

As far as reliability and speed is service there is no match for them. Airtel was working during the Vardah storm in Chennai last year. ACT took almost a month to start working again. QoS matters.

As far as I remember that was the case with airtel from the beginning.(BSNL also counts it) They always used to count UL as part of FUP. Only ACT and these new age Fiber players are different.
Anyways compared to what they were offering last year for the same amount of money it is a incredible growth in FUP.

As far as reliability and speed is service there is no match for them. Airtel was working during the Vardah storm in Chennai last year. ACT took almost a month to start working again. QoS matters.
I've used BSNL Broadband for a decade before moving to ACT 3 years ago,so I'm certain they didn't count uploads. Things might have changed recently with High speed Fiber internet.

I've used BSNL Broadband for a decade before moving to ACT 3 years ago,so I'm certain they didn't count uploads. Things might have changed recently with High speed Fiber internet.

I have also been using BSNL broadband from 2007 in my parents house. I always see uploads and downloads being mentioned in that bill to arrive at the total bandwidth.

I have also been using BSNL broadband from 2007 in my parents house. I always see uploads and downloads being mentioned in that bill to arrive at the total bandwidth.
I was using 4 Mbps 20GB unlimited plan back then, and by the time i reach the 20GB download , my total bandwidth would be around 30GB before the speed drop down to 512kbps. OR Maybe due to terrible upload speeds, i never bothered uploading anything. :)

Back