Airtel Broadband plans - how much do they really cost?

sydras

Skilled
I'm paying around Rs 1122/- for 48 kbps i.e.the 256K UL plan.

I just wanted to know the final cost one pays for 128 kbps UL and 512 kbps UL including modem rental, taxes and service charges etc. I'm trying to ascertain the cost/KB or something like that :p .

sydras said:

48kbps on 256k:huh:..must be 384k

im on 512k unl and get only 55 on torrents and 60 on http....

dont have the bill right now but im guessing its around 1499+180 or something..

sydras said:
Yesterday, I was getting 55 kbps for about 2 hours :D .

So, around 1680 then? I think you're paying too much :no: .

In case you have not realised yet what you mean to say is 55KBS

KB = byte
kb = bit

Get it now ? ;)

i'm on Rs.999+tax @384kbs UL, tho that fluctuates and gives me 32-35KBs, sometime little more.

As far as the real cost, its as they say. No hidden charges and hardly any downtime and that last one is important and you pay for it.

i think a cost/byte calculation is incomplete without that consideration ;)

Who is your ISP ?

blr_p said:
In case you have not realised yet what you mean to say is 55KBS

KB = byte
kb = bit

Get it now ? ;)

i'm on Rs.999+tax @384kbs UL, tho that fluctuates and gives me 32-35KBs, sometime little more.

As far as the real cost, its as they say. No hidden charges and hardly any downtime and that last one is important and you pay for it.

i think a cost/byte calculation is incomplete without that consideration ;)

Who is your ISP ?

I've been into these things for 15 years now. I can tell the difference :bleh: . But I keep referring to the original plan that was 256kbps UL. I availed of the free 384kbps upgrade around Christmas. Guess I didn't make that clear. Sorry.

I've never really cared for kb or KB ior KiB. I guess one can figure out what I'm referring to :cool2: . But apologies for any confusion.

I'm on Airtel. I'm getting around 38-41 kBbps in torrents. So speed's quite low for you(maybe you should register a complaint). And I guess 100Rs is for the modem rental. But after the speed increase, opening web pages etc. during downloads seems to go much more slow. The nature of the connection has changed. I wonder why.

sydras said:
I'm on Airtel. I'm getting around 38-41 kBbps in torrents. So speed's quite low for you(maybe you should register a complaint). And I guess 100Rs is for the modem rental.

it gotten little slower after the new yr, i'll give it a month when i have more data to spot a pattern.
sydras said:
But after the speed increase, opening web pages etc. during downloads seems to go much more slow. The nature of the connection has changed. I wonder why.

This one is little harder to nail down, i've always thought HTTP transfers were prioritised over others. Sometimes i see very fast page loads *even* with a download in the background. Too early to say (after the upgrade to 384kbs) as yet i think so can't really comment either way on this.

on Airtel 256UL (or 384) in Pune
pay 999+tax (1122) and i usually get between 36-42 kbps on torrents and 38-44 on rapidshit etc..

ultimabasher said:
i am on 128kbps unlimited

the normal speed i get is about 22kbps

payment is 300+tax
Holy Crap!!128 kbps unlimited only for 300 + taxes ?? Which plan are you on ?

ultimabasher said:
i am on 128kbps unlimited

the normal speed i get is about 22kbps

payment is 300+tax

Well 128Kbps = 16KBps.....
Obviously ur ISP screwed up and so u are getting more than u opted for....:)
u are lucky

max that anyone should get in 256 Kbps plan is 32KBps..... if they are getting more they are lucky. generally Airtel subscribers are lucky in this aspect

sydras said:
I'm on Airtel. I'm getting around 38-41 kBbps in torrents. So speed's quite low for you(maybe you should register a complaint). And I guess 100Rs is for the modem rental. But after the speed increase, opening web pages etc. during downloads seems to go much more slow. The nature of the connection has changed. I wonder why.

I am not sure he can register a complaint.... as 30-32 is what is expected in 256kbps....if u got technically and logically. Airtel is not organized as well as BSNL so they end up releasing additional bandwidth to avoid customer complaints resulting in increase in speeds.... :eek:hyeah:

sydras said:

256Kbps != (read does not equal)48Kbps.... u are sooooo wrong but sooooo lucky a get this kind of speed:p

vercetti said:
256Kbps != (read does not equal)48Kbps.... u are sooooo wrong but sooooo lucky a get this kind of speed:p

No buddy, it's officially 256 kbps UL. But I registered for the free speed increase around Christmas and got my speed bumped upto 384 kbps. Officially 256 kbps is now available for 750/- + tax.

I've not checked my bill recently to see if the 384 kbps rate is avbl as an official plan. But I'm pretty sure it's not.

CeDrIc said:
Even i am using the 256Kbps UL Plan.. Rent is 701/- + tax excluding the modem rent..i m using my own modem.

Airtel allows you to do that? They never gave me that option :mad: .

Which modem are you using? Are you getting Rs 50/- off because the modem is yours?

There's a little bit of confusion regarding that modem thing, in the north they say they can use their own modem, in BLR i was told you pay for it regardless.

Hi!

I have been fighting with the customer service in Bangalore precisely on this.
I have been paying RS 900 per month (999-99 as I had my own modem) for 256 kbps. Now to upgrade to 384 they want me to pay the full 999.
On my request that if I pay the 999, then I should be provided a new modem from Airtel, I was first informed that it was not possible. On my insistence that 999 includes modem rental I was told that I would have to pay installation charges all over again. What BS!! :mad: :mad:

I would appreciate if anyone has manged to get clarity on whether we get the modem rental waived off if we provide our modem in Bangalore.
Also if anyone can provide me with a phone number or email address of someone who is in the position of some authority at Airtel broadband (and hopefully has an IQ at least in double digits), I would greatly appreciate it!

Sorry for the rant but I have just had another frustrating 20 minutes with the airel customer care and I am seriously hot under the collar!!

blr_p said:
There's a little bit of confusion regarding that modem thing, in the north they say they can use their own modem, in BLR i was told you pay for it regardless.

Back