Video Airtel DTH users - Please help

I am currently on Dish Tv [Zee] and planning to move to airtel DTH , I am having second thought on Sun Direct also ..
I have a 40" samsung , Onkyo 3200 5.1 and ps3 , so planning to get a HD ..
I saw ADTH on a friends 21" TV .. normal .. and was impressed by the clarity , but that doesnt actullay equate to viewing on bigger screen ..
so here are my few question
1.) anyone used ADTH HD or Sun direct HD , please can u compare both these DTh ?

2.) Does ADTH HD have a optical/coaxial Sound output ? As my receiver is only HDMI pass through ... [Onkyo 3200]

3.) Are normal channels - Non HD channels are upscaled in ADTH HD ?

4.) Shall i get HD now or wait for some more time ?

5.) which DTH provider have the best video cum sound clarity ?

6.) If not HD can u guys compare normal ADTH with other DTh providers regarding clairty ...

7.) Currently ADTH HD have only one HD channel ( NG ) , what other channels might be added ?
I am currently shelling out 320+ Rs on Dish tv , and their clarity sucks on my big screen... so please help me on what to choose ...
I basically need South Packs .. as i am from Tamil Nadu and not much interested in hindi Channels ... so also suggest me a package which suites me..
thanks in advance for those who reply...
Looking forward for your replies guy

Can't answer all your questions but here is my try
1) Can't compare
2) Airtel HD DTH comes with HDMI out. you can check all input/output connections under features on Airtel website.
3) Non HD channels cannot be upscaled to HD via Airtel DTH.
4) a very few HD channels are available so if you want variety of connectivity options go with HD else normal DTH is VFM now.
5) AFAIK all DTH provider have similar video quality but small difference is there as some use MPEG 2 & some MPEG 4. This may be significant in LCD but on CRT no difference. BTW Airtel HD DTH has MPEG4 DVBS2.
6) Used Dish TV & Airtel, both have very good clarity but I feel SQ is better in Airtel,no differnce in video quality IMO.
7) Don't know.

thnks

vivacious_tg

but i am more corcerned with audio connectivity... i mean since my HT is hdmi pass through i have to input audio in other means...like optical/coaxial...so can anyone help me on this issue mainly

According to their site, it has S/PDIF out other than HDMI. Look at features in HD section. Specs are mentioned towards the bottom.

Naveen_Reloaded said:
thnks

vivacious_tg

but i am more corcerned with audio connectivity... i mean since my HT is hdmi pass through i have to input audio in other means...like optical/coaxial...so can anyone help me on this issue mainly
The STB offers a coaxial spdif out. Connect an RCA cable from the STB to your AVR and you are done.

No, stereo. Although the AVR can do a pseudo 5.1, the SQ wouldn't be any good.

I thought I answered you query in my previous post?

sorry but i am confused here

SPDIF / coaxial / optical .. wht is the difference ..

i know coaxial and optical are different but wht about spdif and coaxial ? do all three carry 5.1 ?

Google could have been of help but here goes nothing. :)

SPDIF is a data transmission protocol available in 2 options - coaxial and optical (also known as TOSLINK since Toshiba developed the standard). And they both transmit compressed digital audio signals (5.1 and stereo alike). Whereas the RCA stereo jacks transmit analog signals.

Coaxial is generally preferred over optical since bends of the optical cable affects the transmission of the signal, cannot be used for transmitting signals over a longer distance and cheaper cables introduce a lot of jitter (beyond the scope of explanation here). Coaxial OTOH has it's share of cons as well - they are affected in the vicinity of RF interference.

i googled and read it in wiki ... but couldnt get it... i mean it was very technical

i also did a comparison search and it too was so mediocre ... thats why i said "i am confused"...

anyway

here it is

Airtel HD stb spec

• S/PDIF: S/PDIF Audio output Connect S/PDIF output of the Set-Top Box to your TV set/Hi-Fi Audio System S/PDIF input

• Audio L & R: Left & Right Audio output Connect to Audio Terminal of TV set/Hi-Fi Audio System IEC 48B sec 316 (RCA) Female (White & Red) Digital S/PDIF Coaxial, RCA IEC 48B sec 316(RCA) (orange)

Onkyo Europe - HT-S3200

My HT spec
3 Digital Inputs (2 Optical and 1 Coaxial)

so i think my ht is compatible...

thnks for ur reply desecrator....

I received new HD-STB with optical out & its colour Q is BAD.Skin tones are pikish Red.Scaling is good(not best)Sound is good(better than Dish).
I am waiting technician to visit & check the problem.

connected TV with bundled hdmi cable, got the same result. didn't have time to change the cable so connected it through normal way.
let me know if it is the cable or some other setting.

@vivacious you need to caliberate the TV settings for HDMI separately to get perfect picture.

I am using Airtel HD on Samsung LA40C630 since 5th november, the quality is top notch. I havent seen any colour aberrations.

Back