Airtel EDGE giving 3G speeds in Bangalore Region

sgx100

Adept
Hi,

Since today afternoon the 2GB 98/= Airtel EDGE connection is showing and giving near 3G speeds in Tumkur.

On Android Phone speeds touched DL/UL - 500kbps/900kbps

Anyone experiencing this.
Is this is test signal or a limited offer.

Also I am having problems surfing on PC with my T Mobile 3G UMG 31 USB Card.
Rest Later.

Seems like a bug with the 3G network, few days another members also started a thread regarding this. Enjoy the speed :)

Damn, Airtel is giving the 3g speeds after I left Bangalore :( Now before reaching there again, they will identify the bug and reset the speeds :mad:

Even i am getting 3G speeds on mobile after Rs98/- recharge on my opera web browser on Samsung wave. However the speeds are 2g on my default web browser. Network settings are same on both browsers.

Heres the speed test pic.

2uygl80.jpg

Couldnt use speedtest.net site as no flash on mobile. So used testmy.net

My friend on Airtel said that if you first select 2G only mode and start a data connection and later switch to 3G mode, you will get 3G speeds. I checked it and this method worked always. If you directly start a data connection when in 3G network, the speeds are limited to less than 100k.

This is in Chennai and it's working like this for the past 2-3 weeks for him. He is using the Rs 98 2GB GPRS 2G plan.

Same for me too.. In Hyderabad.. Rs.98/2GB GPRS plan is giving me 3G Speeds.. Download speeds upto 450KBps (yeah, no typo.. Its Kilo Bytes Per Second!!!)..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

comp@ddict said:
Speedtest, or it didn't happen
img003km.jpg

Guys please pour ur settings and work arounds.

I duuno Im back to 2G

What that dude ... HOwwww ??

SunnyBoi said:
thats nothing. i got 600KBps with Airtel 3G on 2G plan :p

It started working for me again and boy it was amazing.

Reached speeds of 550kbps for U torrent on my tethered Galaxy and finished up 1.4 GB in about 1 hr.

PS : Also shaved up my balance to zilch

But never mind..Im not complaining. Who doesn't love cheap and fast internet.

varkey said:
My friend on Airtel said that if you first select 2G only mode and start a data connection and later switch to 3G mode, you will get 3G speeds. I checked it and this method worked always. If you directly start a data connection when in 3G network, the speeds are limited to less than 100k.

This is in Chennai and it's working like this for the past 2-3 weeks for him. He is using the Rs 98 2GB GPRS 2G plan.

Yup. I m that friend.. Lol.. Now 2 GB finishes off so fast.. This is the only reason i m sticking on to Airtel.. Read somewhere that this works on Aircel too.
My speeds never crossed 3.5 Mbps. Is anyone getting more in Chennai?

I'm using Airtel chennai sim in bangalore.

(samsung galaxy 551 Android phone)

Just now i saw this thread, tried the 3G trick & it worked, but only in opera mini & for few minutes on google market.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

when i try tethring (USB), i get only 2G speed. :(

is this thing working for others?

Haddock said:
I'm using Airtel chennai sim in bangalore.

(samsung galaxy 551 Android phone)

Just now i saw this thread, tried the 3G trick & it worked, but only in opera mini & for few minutes on google market.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

when i try tethring (USB), i get only 2G speed. :(

is this thing working for others?
I have chennai sim and posted the speedtest pic above. When i download any mp3 or any file from opera browser i get 2g speed, but for browsing i am getting 3G speeds in opera on samsung wave and same with tethering. Is there any glitch here...??

I recharged with 98 pack and it's giving me 4kBps speed(in mdma showing u/l and d/l restricted to 40kbps(kilobits!!!)). Earlier it used to give me 650-700kbps speed with just 3 Signals on E122.

JT_daniel said:
These are not glitches. They're promo offers to get 2G users a taste of 3G speeds. :)

For how many days will they keep on letting us taste those speeds ;) And they even have several 3G plans. I think it's a network glitch.

Anyway i have become so used to this 2GB for Rs.98 that if they rectify it, i m gonna change my operator.

Back