Airtel will deactivate my SIM by 2nd Oct unless I change to new 4G SIM

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
So I got an SMS from airtel - We have upgraded your network for better voice and faster internet - so please get new 4G SIM else your current SIM will be de-activated by 2nd October!!!!

Woooooo! Now they will insist on Aadhaar card during getting new SIM I bet!

I'm not too concerned - will port out eventually - not now - if they keep playing such tricks - but then - ALL vendors like IDEA / Jio will play such tricks in absence of good consumer protection laws in India.

Getting same message from Vodafone except the disconnecting part. I don't even have 4G phone. No reason for me to upgrade to 4G sim.

yeah, airtel well know i have 4g capable (but not volte) phone - i guess they want to push to get rid of maintaining their 3G network... wondering if anyone else got this or they are targeting (me) or few users right now...

i guess they want to push to get rid of maintaining their 3G network.
probably this. having both 3G + 4G = more fees to govt. I had already changed my Idea sim to 4G (forced to change since it got deactivated for 3 days), and Vodafone and Airtel are doing the same. So probably they are trying to get rid of the 3G network entirely and shift to volte based 4G.

So I got an SMS from airtel - We have upgraded your network for better voice and faster internet - so please get new 4G SIM else your current SIM will be de-activated by 2nd October!!!!

Woooooo! Now they will insist on Aadhaar card during getting new SIM I bet!

I'm not too concerned - will port out eventually - not now - if they keep playing such tricks - but then - ALL vendors like IDEA / Jio will play such tricks in absence of good consumer protection laws in India.
Is there a harm in getting sim with your Aadhaar ?

Is there a harm in getting sim with your Aadhaar ?
What if he does not have an AADHAAR card? :)

I think all operators will force users to move to their newer networks and eventually they will completely discontinue 2G like many operators in US. I know US India cannot be compared in these regards and even today there are millions who use 2G only handsets. but probably this is their plan and the sooner they start coaxing (high value users i.e. recharges/monthly bills > 150) users to port to 3g/4g networks the sooner they can stop using 2G networks (at-least in cities).
Point to note is all major operators have outsourced their towers to other companies. So now they have to pay these companies to maintain the towers whether they use it or not. also the no of towers required for data networks is more than the no of towers required for 2G services. So more no of customers using these new networks will obviously offset the network maintenance cost for the operators.

Does the physical sim actually have anything to do with the networks it is capable of receiving?

What if he does not have an AADHAAR card? :)

I asked what is the HARM and not whether he has a Aadhar number or not, Also it's mandatory to link your Aadhar to your simcard before Feb 2018 if not linked on or before the number from 1 March onwards will be deactivated.

Last edited:
I have not linked my Airtel card with Aadhar, and don't plan to do so unless they have a good reason.

Additionally, try to get the SIMEX done without giving Aadhar - thats upto you.

I actually got this SIM exchange done a few days ago without an Aadhaar. Just gave them the old sim, the dude put it inside some basic dual SIM phone along with the new 4G capable SIM. Handed me the new SIM a minute later saying it would start working in an hour. Didn't pay anything nor submitted any docs. Airtel.

I actually got this SIM exchange done a few days ago without an Aadhaar. Just gave them the old sim, the dude put it inside some basic dual SIM phone along with the new 4G capable SIM. Handed me the new SIM a minute later saying it would start working in an hour. Didn't pay anything nor submitted any docs. Airtel.

I ordered free SIM delivery online, lets see if it does not reach by mid week I will go to their store(s) to switch it out...[DOUBLEPOST=1505994449][/DOUBLEPOST]btw @eternoMind which city and which store?

Does the physical sim actually have anything to do with the networks it is capable of receiving?
I was wondering the same. I thought the phone just looks for the operator code across the bands the phone supports; how does the SIM impact that?

I mentioned this because the exact same thing happened when the 2G to 3G shift was happening. People were going crazy about 3G sims. When one of the operators' agents quietly told me on the side, the sim doesn't really matter, even older sims work just fine. Maybe this is some kind of 'refresh' going on. Getting people psychologically hooked to their company??

yeah i dont know what this 128 kb SIM required for 4G is all about... apparently if the SIM is old(er) like 64kb on board storage - it wont work?

reminds me of the old days when a few contacts from dumbphone were stored on SIM vs on Phone.

The only advantage of new sim according to me is they are pre-cut from normal - micro - nano size. No need to cut it in shop or search for adapters.

mine is from 2015... i got a new SIM when i got a new phone back then... i guess they hadn't launched 4G back then so I got another 3G SIM.

Back