Aliexpress.com - Feedback Thread

How to convince them that item I am getting is a Bonafide gift. I need to buy ddr4 ram from USA, my sil can ship from USA and value will be less than 5k.

How to convince them that item I am getting is a Bonafide gift. I need to buy ddr4 ram from USA, my sil can ship from USA and value will be less than 5k.
Perhaps have your sil purchase so that the invoice is in her name. Or you can call up the FPO and find how they determine what is a "bonafide" gift.

So I finally received the package today and they had levied a customs duty of Rs.1,362/- on an item worth $20? It just doesn’t make sense. I refused to accept the package and now I plan to approach the Delhi Customs Office with a letter. I would’ve paid the duty if it were 500-600, but how can there be 100% duty on sunglasses? This is just tax terrorism.

Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Or how can I effectively resolve this issue?

Usually this involves providing them via e-mail/in-person the invoice/AE order details page showing payment amount, credit card/debit card payment showing transaction amount, technical write-up (optional, just provide print of manual or product details page), IEC code (n/a if for personal non-commercial use), Harmonized Shipping Code (HS Code) [optional] which you can get from cybex.in and declaration that the item is for personal, non-commercial use (if applicable). On receipt of this CPAD is supposed to appraise, assess duty @ 41.2% if not a bonafide gift (which currently are duty free upto Rs. 5000) and release shipment to post office for delivery at which time you have to pay duty, if assessed by customs, to the postman who will provide a receipt.

If CPAD and/or PO give you too much trouble raise a ticket at https://pgportal.gov.in/ which may or may not help, but at least raises the number of complaints against the particular department. India Post and Customs are on Twitter, but other than getting the Local Number of your shipment, India Post on Twitter is not of much use just giving standard copy and paste responses. As for Customs, it is only finger pointing back at India Post or telling you to contact CPAD at your location.

I've used the Customs department online duty calculator and it comes to Rs.615/-. They've levied Rs.932 as IGST? I have no clue how they came to that calculator. It is 18% of the total amount after customs.

Last edited:
Hi guys need some advice from experienced Aliexpress buyers. This is the very first time i am ordering anything from China. So you can understand I am very nervous about my orders.

Have made 2 orders. Order number 1 is of 1000Rs. I selected Aliexpress standard shipping and the seller shipped it by Special Line - Yanwen. After reading a lot of posts here i found out that Yanwen is the worst carrier and delay shipments a lot. But my order shows last mile Gati, does that mean Gati is going to deliver it? It's in Transit right now from Hong Kong, not really sure why it went to Hong Kong from China for shipping. This is a non electronics item, what are the chances of customs on this?

The second order is a little more scary. I bought it for 2500 and asked the seller to mark down the value to 10$ while shipping. I chose China registered air mail for this order and it was sent to Singapore for shipping for some reason. The tracking number ends with SG. It has reached India. On 17track it shows held at customs and on global cainiao site it shows import clearance failure. Does it mean i need to be scared? Am I going to be charged customs on it? It's an Electronics item.

Also I am from Mumbai if that makes any difference in custom clearance.

@i_rock098

Most probably, first item going to be handled HK post initially and at end by Gati in India. Second item is being handled by Singapore post which will be handled by Indian post in India.

@i_rock098

Most probably, first item going to be handled HK post initially and at end by Gati in India. Second item is being handled by Singapore post which will be handled by Indian post in India.
Thank you for the reply mate. Does it make any difference in terms of customs and delivery time if it's being handled by Gati or India Post.

Hi guys need some advice from experienced Aliexpress buyers. This is the very first time i am ordering anything from China. So you can understand I am very nervous about my orders.

Have made 2 orders. Order number 1 is of 1000Rs. I selected Aliexpress standard shipping and the seller shipped it by Special Line - Yanwen. After reading a lot of posts here i found out that Yanwen is the worst carrier and delay shipments a lot. But my order shows last mile Gati, does that mean Gati is going to deliver it? It's in Transit right now from Hong Kong, not really sure why it went to Hong Kong from China for shipping. This is a non electronics item, what are the chances of customs on this?
Low chance of duty, but It depends. See post #1725, though that was via FPO (not courier such as GATI). GATI will customs clear your shipment and deliver it to you. If customs wants more information from the recipeint or assesses duty, GATI will contact you for the required information/charge you the duty assessed when they deliver.

The second order is a little more scary. I bought it for 2500 and asked the seller to mark down the value to 10$ while shipping. I chose China registered air mail for this order and it was sent to Singapore for shipping for some reason. The tracking number ends with SG. It has reached India. On 17track it shows held at customs and on global cainiao site it shows import clearance failure. Does it mean i need to be scared? Am I going to be charged customs on it? It's an Electronics item.

Also I am from Mumbai if that makes any difference in custom clearance.
It's likely you will be charged duty, but again it depends. See post # 1718 in this thread for what to do in this case.
Post automatically merged:

Curious what's the fastest delivery option for you guys these days?
It's the customs clearance delay that is the spoiler. I've had a CNPost untracked delivered in a week and a tracked CNPost that took more than 90 days.

Last edited:
I went to the India Post FPO the other day and saw the Customs Inspector manually opening every "biggish" package and randomly checking the value of it on the internet for customs purposes.

Which post office?
Delhi FPO, it's the Head Office at ITO. They have absolutely zero procedure of checking the value of the item. It's very arbitrary. Say for example, I had ordered a pair of sunglasses, instead of checking the company name and model, they'll check "UV Sunglasses" and the assessment value will be decided randomly. Something that was purchased for 1,000 would be marked as 3,000 because that's what the first result was.

Guys, any idea about what would be the import duty on a intel cpu ordered from AliExpress.
It is an i5 4670 @5300Rs.

Guys, any idea about what would be the import duty on a intel cpu ordered from AliExpress.
It is an i5 4670 @5300Rs.
Depends on what value was declared on the package. I bought a LGA2011 CPU to make a keychain and wasn't charged any customs. Same for a i5 2540M ordered almost a year ago

Guess Ive been lucky lately regarding speed, should ge the package on monday/tuesday

hk.JPG

Read somewhere:
Tds has to be deposited and Tds return has to be filed by payer/buyer for each transaction if amount (forex) is paid to a non-resident (eg:AliExpress). Penalty is 1.5L for each offence.
How many of you are depositing Tds and filing Tds return (has to be filed even if Tds is 0)?
Is there a change in rules post gst?
Is anyone even aware of this rule?

Back