Aligarh kachori seller earns Rs 60 lakh, I-T dept on alert after tip off

swatkats

Skilled
A team of tax inspectors sat at another shop near Mukesh Kachori and started keeping track of sales. They found that Mukesh was earning anywhere between Rs 60 lakhs to Rs 1 crore and even more annually.

A notice has now been issued to Mukesh because he has not registered his shop under GST and does not pay any taxes.

Commercial Tax Officer Aligarh AK Maheshwari said, "The shop was raided as it has been found that on the basis of their annual turnover, they neither pay tax nor they have registered their business under GST Act. On investigation it has been found that their income is more than 60 lakh."

The owner of outlet, Mukesh Kumar, allegedly has an annual turnover of around Rs 60-70 lakhs but does not pay any tax. According to officials, the annual turnover of Mukesh might go beyond Rs 1 crore.

Mukesh, the shopkeeper said, "My shop was raided on June 20. My daily sale is around Rs 2000-3000. Modi ji had said that GST registration is required in turnover of more than Rs 40 lakh, my income is not even half of it. These people are threatening me now."

“Till March 31, businessmen having a turnover above Rs 20 lakh were required to have registration for the goods and services tax (GST) but from April 1, the limit has gone up to Rs 40 lakh. This ‘kachori’ seller, despite having a high turnover, had no GST registration,” Deputy commissioner said.

“We have issued notice to Mukesh who has expressed readiness to have GST registration,” Kauntiye said.

According to officials, there are about 600 kachori sellers in Aligarh. Officials of the department do not rule out massive tax evasion by such roadside stalls selling snacks.

I know for a fact that there are at least a 1 million Chat bandar-Samosa-Tea guys in India making Rs. 1lakh a day and still don't pay taxes!

Last edited:
All the road side food vendors and vegetable sellers earn more than 30k per month. Even barber shop people earn around or more than that amount. Local electricians earn 1k to 1.5k per day. Just coming to house they charge 100 rupees and extra for work.
Just saw ad for DRDO or some other govt recruitment for security or something. Starting salary 30K/month. Inflation is so high, even just paying bills will cost a person around 3k per month at lowest. Add food etc to that and just single person will be spending 6-8k per month. 4 people will hardly save anything on 30k per month if they spend wisely. Anyone earning less than 1L per month is poor now. I doubt any of these people pay taxes other than municipal taxes. And these people are majority of business people in India.

Leaving these small fish alone, the big companies earning crores per hour - do they avoid tax in guise of losses etc? How much do they save and not give to tax guys? Anyone knows anything on how much thousands of crores the companies haven't paid taxes on?

Added more info from another source. Interesting.

After Introduction of E-Wallets and UPI, I'm seeing a new trend of businesses filing IT-returns, Well obviously not the actual figures about the minimum amounts in order to get home loans or for Car loans Etc.. This is a good trend and I expect it to expand to almost 70% of the businesses. Even my local meat shop files IT returns for Loan purposes. :)

Last edited:
sucks that
All the road side food vendors and vegetable sellers earn more than 30k per month. Even barber shop people earn around or more than that amount. Local electricians earn 1k to 1.5k per day. Just coming to house they charge 100 rupees and extra for work.
Just saw ad for DRDO or some other govt recruitment for security or something. Starting salary 30K/month. Inflation is so high, even just paying bills will cost a person around 3k per month at lowest. Add food etc to that and just single person will be spending 6-8k per month. 4 people will hardly save anything on 30k per month if they spend wisely. Anyone earning less than 1L per month is poor now. I doubt any of these people pay taxes other than municipal taxes. And these people are majority of business people in India.

Leaving these small fish alone, the big companies earning crores per hour - do they avoid tax in guise of losses etc? How much do they save and not give to tax guys? Anyone knows anything on how much thousands of crores the companies haven't paid taxes on?
Damn i don't even earn close to 1 lakhs and im a post grad. Im BPL :(

Govt should go after anyone who should be paying taxes but dont. But going after the big fishes is crtical as they bypass loopholes and laws by registering the company abroad. The losses because of that is incredibly huge.

Dint scroll do a set of videos showing the roadside stall economics?

As for the tax issues most of these people aren't well educated. They know tax but don't know income tax/GST etc. Heck, my family as professional businessman for last 50 years struggled massively with GST. All they knew were babus from local sales tax dept who kept making them running in circles. So I don't find it surprising these guys are not paying taxes.
Post automatically merged:

I am sorry but this whole thing is hyperbole. First of all, inflation is high and always have been. Ask your parents they also will have same lament about how bills and food etc cost so high. It gets easy then to go on a hyperbole and claim anyone less than 1L is poor.

As for big companies, can we please go easy on whataboutism. You solve problems one at a time. Two wrongs don't make one right.

Last edited:
Back