Linux All Linux Distro's Links/Online Guides/Forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please add this too:

Arch_logo.png
Arch Linux
Arch Wiki : Arch Wiki
Beginner's Guide : Beginner's Guide [Must read for first-timers]
Official Install Guide : Official Install Guide
Forums : Arch Linux Forums
Mailing Lists : Arch Linux Mailing Lists
FAQ : Arch Linux - Frequently AskedQuestions
Home Page : Arch Linux

P.S.: Can you arrange the distros in 1st post alphabetically....[so that Arch comes first.! Muhahaha:bleh: ]

add this :

Foresight is a desktop operating system featuring an intuitive user interface and a showcase of the latest desktop software, giving users convenient and enjoyable access to their music, photos, videos, documents, and Internet resources

As a Linux distribution, Foresight sets itself apart by eliminating the need for the user to be familiar with Linux, combining a user-focused desktop environment on top of Conary. As the most technically innovative software management system available today, Conary ensures that users can efficiently search, install, and manage all the software on the Foresight system, including bringing in the latest features and fixes without waiting for a major release. Thanks to Conary, Foresight developers can provide those features and fixes through rolling releases, allowing updates to be pushed out as soon as they are available. The latest version of Foresight is 2.0.5 which contains an up to date snapshot of the Foresight respository.

Foresight Linux 2.0 is pre-installed on all Shuttle® KPC systems sold in the United States. The KPC is designed for web surfing, emailing, instant messaging, and light office applications. Shuttle is best known for its benchmark line of toaster-sized small-form-factor computers that fit just about anywhere. The KPC boasts the same small form factor and a unique changeable front image that works like a photo frame. (See Shuttle Computers, The pioneer manufacturer of small factor. for more information about Shuttle products.)

Foresight Linux

Foresight Linux -which got a lot of potential with it's Conary Package Management.currently ,newbie(window$ users) may not feel good ,as it needs terminal usage to use Conary Effectively although Packagekit is available.It was selected as the best Linux distribution along with opensuse sometimes back.

Foresight Linux

This Distro Showcases latest Gnome Version.although Xfce is also available.kde is not available.

download:

Index of /gnome/2.1.0/

32-bit and 64-bit available.

forum:

Foresight Forum - Index

Wiki:

https://wiki.foresightlinux.org/

All the Best Linux Cheat Sheets

by Mark Sanborn

All the best Linux cheat sheets rounded up in one post broken down into Linux command line, Linux security, Linux administration, Gnome/KDE, sed/awk/vim, and distribution specific cheat sheets..
1. Linux Command Line

* Linux Reference Card - Great reference published on FOSSwire website
* One page Linux Manual - Great one page reference to the most popular Linux commands
* Unix Tool Box - An incredibly exhaustive reference for all things Linux.
* Treebeard’s Unix Cheat Sheet - A great reference with Dos comparisons
* Terminal Shortcuts - Cheat sheet for the most common terminal shortcuts
* More Terminal Shortcuts - More shortcuts for history and X

2. Linux Security

* Linux Security Quick Reference Guide - An awesome security checklist reference
* IP Tables - If you are interested in Linux firewalls this is a must have
* TCPDump - Great cheat sheet to an awesome security tool
* Wireshark Filters - An awesome list of filters for the best packet sniffing utility
* IP Access Lists - Cheat sheet for IP Access Lists
* Common Ports - In case you don’t have all common ports memorized
* netcat - Reference to the swiss army knife of networking

3. Linux Administration

* Linux Admin Quick Reference - PDF cheat sheet of common Linux administration tasks
* Crontab Reference - Also see Learning Cron by Example

4. Gnome/KDE

* Useful Gnome/KDE shortcuts
* KDE Cheat Sheet - KDE specific cheat sheet

5. sed/awk/vim and other tools

* Vi Cheat Sheet - Who doesn’t love Vi/Vim. Also check out my guest post on Vim.
* awk nawk and gawk cheat sheet - Awesome awk sheet, also check out awk is a beautiful tool
* Sed Stream Editor Cheat Sheet - Savvy Sed
* Screen Quick Reference - Quick reference to a must have screen emulator
* Screen Terminal Emulator Cheat Sheet - PDF cheat sheet for screen
* Vi/Vim Cheat Sheet - Nice vim/vi keyboard layout reference

6. Distro Specific

* Ubuntu Cheat Sheet - Ubuntu specific cheat sheet
* Debian Cheat Sheet - Debian specific cheat sheet

7. Everything Else

* Online Man Pages - The ultimate cheat sheet repository. Also use the ‘man‘ command.

8. My suggestions :bleh:

* Tuxtraining
* to use verbose mode for commands, usually a "-v" option. For instance:

Code:
cp -v file.a file.b
*file.a -> file.b*
* Linux Cheat Shirt from XKCD
* A good tutorial for the basics of working with BASH in Linux
* Try this in ur terminal
Code:
python -c 'import webbrowser; webbrowser.open("http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/commands.htm")'

OK I acquired the Source DocBook XML files from the author of Introduction to Linux. But I can not figure out how to convert it into any other format.

When you say "I can not figure out" how to convert - meaning - what have you tried so far?

Tried googling for the format and supported apps? Like maybe "scribus" IIRC could be one app that converts from those formats to some readable output like PDF or whatever...

vishalrao said:
When you say "I can not figure out" how to convert - meaning - what have you tried so far?

Tried googling for the format and supported apps? Like maybe "scribus" IIRC could be one app that converts from those formats to some readable output like PDF or whatever...
Sorry I completely forgot about my reply in this thread. Here is the link to the file I want to convert to mobi/epub/doc/rtf format so that I can read them in my Kindle after conversion in Calibre. Any help will be really appreciated.

http://tille.garrels.be/training/tldp/itl-20100421.tar.bz2

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I couldn't figure out because I didn't even know what to do with which file.

P.S. I am subscribing to the thread this time.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Has anyone tried to convert this book yet? This is actually the source format.

Well, OpenOffice seems to be able to open the abook.xml in "DocBook" format then you can save it any way you like. But I got better formatting using the "docbook2odf" console tool :) I think the images are not all there (I can just see one of Tux)... so you can try something similar yourself. Attaching a ZIP of the various formats I could convert.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Link: http://lahsiv.net/code/abook.zip

Let me know after you download it, so I can delete from my server :)

Thanks Vishal, I have downloaded the book. Unfortunately, the aBook included just the introductory pages like Table of contents, etc.

That may be coz I only converted the original abook.xml, you can try the same steps with the other XMLs - I dont know how to do all of them in one shot.

That's the problem I faced too. Without the whole book Table of contents wont work. Is there any place I can ask for help with this?

hmmm, no clue myself, probably a few different google keywords searches will bring up some pointers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back