Android All new Nexus 7, Launching soon in India?

I think the older nexus or the nexus 4 too had such a coming soon page which stayed there itself for a long long time. This page in no way tells that the product will come soon here.
Infact i feel the only US company which is making its products available soon in India after launch is Apple (except iPhones may be). Apologies if i am missing any other.

Samsung & Sony do a good job.

Google has problems with India for some reason.

Yes that's why i specifically mentioned US company. The ones based out of Asia like Samsung and Sony definitely do a good job when it comes to India, no doubt about that.

Can anybody shed some light into google and india ? why the delays etc.

It affects buying decisions.

I personally believe that these devices are not a main stream business for Google (unlike Apple etc). They thrive on services and ads and such things. Now the reason android is open source is probably because google wants more and more people to US the OS which has lots of google services in turn increasing their revenues.
The services are being as it is used by people through web and android so they are secured on this front.
So they don't give much importance to countries like ours to release a recently launched product. They are not understanding that they can capture a better market share if they did, like companies like apple, samsung etc do. Release immediately so early adopters can generate revenue for them. It works for Apple and such.

The issue was with google playstore and india. Playstore is who sells the nexus in the US.

They don't have a distribution network in india that means they need others to do it for them. Why should they ? they already have their own flagship devices.

ASUS India you would have thought would be the ones bringing this in. They certainly took their time over it.

So they should create the distribution network in India as well right ? Today the reason one can buy a Samsung S4/S3 or latest iPhone even at the nearby mobile phone shop is because they have created the distribution network to make the product reach the masses.
Even if google did an online only thing with delivery throughout India, it would sell well.

all i'm saying if we do not understand the delays of the previous product its not possible to say anything about the future product. Promises are just that, not bankable.

Which is a pity because the only true VFM android device is a nexus. And that is because there is only one version released for the entire world. Its a no brainer for devs to flock to it. No regional variations, code forks required etc.

Its no secret that the Google Android devices are being pushed in the market at bare minimum profit margins vis a vis h.w cost wise.
The major revenue will be generated via Ads and services.

Apple on the other hand has always placed a premium on their devices and even realises the status symbol their devices have become here.
Especially after facing stiff competition in china due to local manufacturers there, i am expecting more vigorous campaigns in India to further strengthen their hold. So Google need to start offsetting that asap before apple takes a huge lead.

We all know once a user gets tied to an ecosystem, their future upgrades gets influenced. Google can ill afford to let people pick up apple in a market like India's which has been hit by the fall in value of rupee. The stage is set for them to release their products on an asap basis.

If any new Nexus devices are to launch in India officially, its the Nexus 7. Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 were a no-show in India, remember? (Nexus 4 came in half a year later via LG).

it would be great if they release the nexus 7 early here but i highly doubt that would happen.
the last one got released in April, would it make sense for them to release another tablet just after 2 months?
i just got my nexus 7 and so far loving it :D
Fellow nexus owners have you got the OTA yet?

Its no secret that the Google Android devices are being pushed in the market at bare minimum profit margins vis a vis h.w cost wise.
The major revenue will be generated via Ads and services.
Nexus hardware is hardly cutting edge, Nexus design isn't geared for the 'looks' crowd but rather the 'substance' & 'value' crowd. That's why they can keep on updating because device driver issues are non-existent. Google can afford to charge less but then you get what you pay for hardware wise. Its capable but that's it.

Seems i made a mistake here, the nexus 7 DID launch in India but the issue was the price. For the same price you could get a 3G capable + microsd samsung tab2 7 incher. Instead people wanted Nexus 7 at 15k. But nexus 7 was 20k, adding insult to injury at 50% above what it cost in the US. So next nexus 7 will launch here too, just that it will also be as expensive unless the supply side is better handled this time. ok, so first time round Google did not know what the demand would be so they made fewer units, should not happen this time (hopefully).

It's the Nexus 4 that was delayed till April, which is down to LG dragging their feet over it.

Nexus 10 never launched here at all. Samsung India had other plans.

Extra price of nexus is because the supply is less. Didn't playstore have trouble meeting demand with supplies even in the US few months into the launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back