Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nikkors on Canon

Aces170 said:
As you put on JJM, older Nikon MF lens will work better on a Canon body with adapters rather then the new Nikon bodies :)

Hi Guys.

I have said elsewhere that more lenses adapt to Canon by accident that adapt to Nikon on purpose. It's true that some lower end Nikon bodies will not support TTL metering through manually focused Nikkors. However, one should also take into account the action of the automatic aperture control. Even though Canon does support "stop-down metering" through a Nikkor adapted to a Canon, it will not have automatic aperture control. That is to say that one will have to open wide to get the bright screen to focus, then close down to the taking aperture to shoot, then open to get a bright screen again.

Mid to upper range Nikon bodies support automatic aperture control and metering with old MF Nikkors, all the way back to 1959 glass. They even add aperture priority AE to them with automatic aperture control and metering. When the lens is reversed, as with macro work, the automatic aperture feature is lost, but not the TTL metering. In this application it is at parity with Canon.

Even the lower line bodies work with old MF glass, but one may need a hand meter.

Some older MF Nikkor optics require an "auto-indexing" modification to work on the latest bodies. Some of my old lenses required this when I bought a D700 several years ago. That costs about $30 per optic. However, some entry level Nikons will operate with very old "non-AI" Nikkors requiring no AI modification at all. But they don't meter. A hand meter and manual control are required for them.

:)

Ordered a Canon 550D with the kit lens 18-55 IS yesterday. Planning to get the 50mm f1.8 soon too. Any suggestion for a zoom lens ? Like a replacement for the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens with bit more cash ? or will get that itself ?

Canon 55-250 is a very good sharp all around lens.

If you have moolah and looking for options other are Tamron 100-400 and sigma 100 - 500 (Yogi has it and I tested here in Surat, when the Mumbai Gang was here, its nice, but was softer to my liking. While I also tested a friend`s tamron and its IS was fabulous and autofocus was fast too).

Also wait for other canon users opinion. and gurus advise. :)

medpal said:
Canon 55-250 is a very good sharp all around lens.

If you have moolah and looking for options other are Tamron 100-400 and sigma 100 - 500 (Yogi has it and I tested here in Surat, when the Mumbai Gang was here, its nice, but was softer to my liking. While I also tested a friend`s tamron and its IS was fabulous and autofocus was fast too).

Also wait for other canon users opinion. and gurus advise. :)

You mean the sigma 150-500, and the tammy 200-500 :)

Sigma focuses faster, tamron is sharper.

Where can i buy a screen guard for my camera online ? i have panasonic ls5 :)

i know this is not related to the thread title but i dint want to create a new thread for such a small reason :)

guys, need a lens..mainly for portraits..

budget 20k(+- a little)

was looking at the tamron 90mm 1:1 macro.

suggestions?

can a macro lens be used for portraits? portfolio shoots?

any other suggestions?

^^ Yes it can. However you might also want to consider a Canon 85mm f1.8 lens.

The Tamron is slow to focus but for portraits it shouldn't be a problem.

^thanks, any idea about the pricing?
any online store through which i can see lens prices?

Any other non-prime lens in the same budget?

Fellows please help me on DSLR purchase. Im pretty mush a novice on this.
Currently on list are:

Cannon 1100D & 550D
Nikon D3100 & D5100.

Any others to consider, don't want to spend more than on these.

Heard CA mode feature on Cannons is helpful. Does Nikon offer any such similar thing?

Also which offers in-camera editing option?

@Ragzdiablo - You can try smartshoppers.in to check prices.

@teche - What do you want to shoot ? The 550D is pretty good. Nikon has slightly better high ISO performance which you will rarely use and many lenses wont AF with either the D3100 or D5100. While all AF lenses will work perfectly with a Canon DSLR.

Hey guys, I currently have a D90 with a 18-55mm kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 prime. I aslo have a old-ish sigma 105mm 1:2 macro lens which I don't really use as the AF hunts a bit too much.

I want to extend the reach of my system so was thinking of adding a tele lens

should i get the Nikkor 55-200 DX for ~13k and save up for a another year to get a used 300mm f4 for ~50k (and add a 1.4x tc later)

or should I just directly save up for the Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6 VR?

Are there any good, equivalent alternatives from tamron/sigma/tokina either new or used?

Its pretty good. :)

Another option is a Sony NEX3 which has a bigger sensor but IQ wise both will be similar since the EPL-1 has a good quality kit lens while the NEX3 has an average kit lens.

The EPL-1 is smaller (with kit lens attached) and has a larger choice of lenses. However the Sony has a bigger sensor and is better at higher ISOs. Also the Sony comes with a 3 year warranty while the Olympus comes with a 2 year warranty.

BF1983 said:
Its pretty good. :)

Another option is a Sony NEX3 which has a bigger sensor but IQ wise both will be similar since the EPL-1 has a good quality kit lens while the NEX3 has an average kit lens.

The EPL-1 is smaller (with kit lens attached) and has a larger choice of lenses. However the Sony has a bigger sensor and is better at higher ISOs. Also the Sony comes with a 3 year warranty while the Olympus comes with a 2 year warranty.

thanks man.. looks like an option I have to consider, since the olympus has the flash unit built in.. this makes it a better option for me...

soggy316 said:
Hey guys, I currently have a D90 with a 18-55mm kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 prime. I aslo have a old-ish sigma 105mm 1:2 macro lens which I don't really use as the AF hunts a bit too much. I want to extend the reach of my system so was thinking of adding a tele lens should i get the Nikkor 55-200 DX for ~13k and save up for a another year to get a used 300mm f4 for ~50k (and add a 1.4x tc later) or should I just directly save up for the Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6 VR? Are there any good, equivalent alternatives from tamron/sigma/tokina either new or used?
I was thinking on the same line and believe 300mm would be the great with 1.4x TC(sums up to 420mm) for long telephoto purposes but you have to use tripod on most occasions. Ideal would be to get either Nikkor or Tamron 70-300mm lens or Sigma/Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 or Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 with 1.4x TC for day to day shoots.

Am looking to buy the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens to go along with my Cannon 1100 D. All I have currently is the kit lens.

What's the best price I can get it at? Right now the lowest I've found is 5.7 k. Is this a good price or can I get a lower price somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back