Budget 0-20k Allround PC (Multimedia/Gaming/Programming)

tobasko

Disciple
Hi everybody,

I want to buy a new PC:

Questions

Q: What is your budget?
700-800 € (max 1k $)

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

none

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

none

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - AMD FX-8120, 8x 3100 MHz
Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M LE

GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850

RAM - 8192 MB DDR3-RAM

HDD - 1000GB Seagate/Western Digital SATA

Soundcard - Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE

Interfaces - USB 3.0 PCIe-Card, 2 Ports

Cooling - Xilence Cooler for socket AM2+ / AM3

Drive - 24x ASUS Multiformat DVD-Burner

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

I don't think I want to upgrade in the near future

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
CSL weekly offer

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Browsing
Programming
Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Older games like Counterstrike but also LOL and I also want to be able to play newer games like Skyrim or something.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1280x728
Desktop - 1440x900

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Not really

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

I actually have an offer already: http://i.imgur.com/OQTZ6.png
Do you think the parts fit together and is the price reasonable (780€ = 960$)?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Tobi

Welcome to the forum @tobasko, this what I would suggest --

Intel Core i5 3550 + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO [CPU cooler]
ASUS P8H77-M PRO
for the graphics card wait for the GTX 660Ti, it is much superior to the AMD HD78** series cards and shall be priced well [outside India]
G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB [64MB cache]
Crucial M4 120GB SSD
Corsair AX650W OR Corsair TX v2650W
NZXT Tempest EVO OR Corsair Carbide 400R OR Cooler Master STORM Enforcer
DELL Ultrasharp U2312M

As I am not from Europe and completely out-of-touch with the prices there, I will suggest that you do your homework on that instead of me hazarding a guess.

Also, avoid AMD Bulldozer based processors in-case you do not wish to over-clock as they are really fickle performers and not at all consistent vis-a-vis their Intel counterparts.

Hope this helped, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum @tobasko, this what I would suggest --

Intel Core i5 3550 + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO [CPU cooler]
ASUS P8H77-M PRO
for the graphics card wait for the GTX 660Ti, it is much superior to the AMD HD78** series cards and shall be priced well [outside India]
G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB [64MB cache]
Crucial M4 120GB SSD
Corsair AX650W OR Corsair TX v2650W
NZXT Tempest EVO OR Corsair Carbide 400R OR Cooler Master STORM Enforcer
DELL Ultrasharp U2312M

As I am not from Europe and completely out-of-touch with the prices there, I will suggest that you do your homework on that instead of me hazarding a guess.

Also, avoid AMD Bulldozer based processors in-case you do not wish to over-clock as they are really fickle performers and not at all consistent vis-a-vis their Intel counterparts.

Hope this helped, Cheerio!

Hey Alpha17,

thank you very much for your response.
When do you think will the GTX 660Ti come out and will it be more expensive than a HD 7850?
I configured your build in a german online shop and it is around 900 € which is ~1.110 $.

What do you think about this build:

Intel Core i5 3570K 4x 3.40GHz So.1155 TRAY

2048MB Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Lite Retail)

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Z77 So.1155 Dual Channel DDR3 ATX Retail

120GB OCZ Agility III 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s MLC asynchron (AGT3-25SAT3-120G)

8GB G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit

BitFenix Shinobi USB 3.0 Midi Tower ohne Netzteil schwarz 1 x € 49,92* € 49,92*

600W Sharkoon WPM600 80+ Modular

Arctic Cooling Arctic Freezer 13 Pro CO

Optiarc AD-7280S-0B 24x SA bulk schwarz

Accessories Solid State Drive 3.5" ACSSDBRKT2 Adaptor Bracket 2

I would get this build for around 830 € so it would be a little bit cheaper than yours.

What's your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

When do you think will the GTX 660Ti come out and will it be more expensive than a HD 7850?
I configured your build in a german online shop and it is around 900 € which is ~1.110 $.

The planned released is around ~20[SUP]th[/SUP] of August for ~$200 so it will be at par with the pricing of an HD7870 and its initial performance previews have shown that is chews up the HD7870 and comes close to de-throning the HD7950 3GB. NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 Ti 2GB Reference Video Card Review :: TweakTown USA Edition -- reference design review, expect 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-party models to have a performance increment of ~5% -->10%.

Instead of the ASRock motherboard I suggest that you stick to the ASUS P8H77-M PRO [as you are not over-clocking pointless purchasing a Z77 chipset based motherboard], same with your processor try to go for the vanilla Core i5 3550 instead of the Core i5 3570k as you re not going to over-clock.

To keep this chip cool, you will not require a cooler more than the Hyper 212 EVO, no need for the Arctic Freezer 13 Pro.

Instead of the Agility III SSD, try to go for the new Vertex4 OR Crucial M4. The older Sandforce controller based SSD's have a lot of bugs in them that lead to random occurrences of BSOD's / crashes / drive-failures etc.

Rest of the components you can go for whatever you wish, just note that I have never heard of the following brands and they have no after-sales network in India --
  • Sharkoon
  • Optiarc optical drives

And I noticed your build lacks the monitor, do you already have one?

Hope this answers your query adequately, Cheerio!

Since you're not overclocking then there's no point getting a K series processor,Go with the rig @ALPHA17 suggested you'll fine.
Hey Alpha17,

thank you very much for your response.

What do you think about this build:

Intel Core i5 3570K 4x 3.40GHz So.1155 TRAY

2048MB Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Lite Retail)

8GB G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit

BitFenix Shinobi USB 3.0 Midi Tower ohne Netzteil schwarz 1 x € 49,92* € 49,92*

600W Sharkoon WPM600 80+ Modular

Arctic Cooling Arctic Freezer 13 Pro CO

Optiarc AD-7280S-0B 24x SA bulk schwarz

Accessories Solid State Drive 3.5" ACSSDBRKT2 Adaptor Bracket 2

I would get this build for around 830 € so it would be a little bit cheaper than yours.

What's your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

The planned released is around ~20[SUP]th[/SUP] of August for ~$200 so it will be at par with the pricing of an HD7870 and its initial performance previews have shown that is chews up the HD7870 and comes close to de-throning the HD7950 3GB. NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 Ti 2GB Reference Video Card Review :: TweakTown USA Edition -- reference design review, expect 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-party models to have a performance increment of ~5% -->10%.

Instead of the ASRock motherboard I suggest that you stick to the ASUS P8H77-M PRO [as you are not over-clocking pointless purchasing a Z77 chipset based motherboard], same with your processor try to go for the vanilla Core i5 3550 instead of the Core i5 3570k as you re not going to over-clock.

To keep this chip cool, you will not require a cooler more than the Hyper 212 EVO, no need for the Arctic Freezer 13 Pro.

Instead of the Agility III SSD, try to go for the new Vertex4 OR Crucial M4. The older Sandforce controller based SSD's have a lot of bugs in them that lead to random occurrences of BSOD's / crashes / drive-failures etc.

Rest of the components you can go for whatever you wish, just note that I have never heard of the following brands and they have no after-sales network in India --
  • Sharkoon
  • Optiarc optical drives

And I noticed your build lacks the monitor, do you already have one?

Hope this answers your query adequately, Cheerio!

Hey Guys,

thanks for your response.
Okay, I've again learned something new. You are right that I don't want to overclock in the first place, but
if I compare the price of both CPU/motherboard combinations I get:

i5 3550 + ASUS motherboard = 290 € -> 360 $

i5 3570k + ASRock = 340 € -> 420 $

For "only" 60 $ extra I get the possibility to overclock in the future, wouldn't it be smart to invest the little extra money even if I don't want to overclock right now?
Or are there any disadvantages I don't see?

Cheers,

Tobi

Well,It's your call,Yes getting a K series processor is better if you're going to overclock in future but if you don't then it's a loss of 60$.There are no disadvantages if you'll overclock in future,It's as simple as that.
Hey Guys,

thanks for your response.
Okay, I've again learned something new. You are right that I don't want to overclock in the first place, but
if I compare the price of both CPU/motherboard combinations I get:

i5 3550 + ASUS motherboard = 290 € -> 360 $

i5 3570k + ASRock = 340 € -> 420 $

For "only" 60 $ extra I get the possibility to overclock in the future, wouldn't it be smart to invest the little extra money even if I don't want to overclock right now?
Or are there any disadvantages I don't see?

Cheers,

Tobi

Back