Am I cheating Airtel or is this allowed?

hash

New Member
Disciple
Aug 3, 2009
720
12
0
30
Hi,

I don't know what I'm doing is legit or illegal,please help me.

Actually I had Airtel Internet 256 kbps about 1 year ago and I removed Internet since. Now my sister took internet in another room in the house she has a direct line going there and yesterday I just removed the modem from my sisters room and connected the modem to my PC and I have a separate line(that little thingy that phone wire goes into) in my room from the Airtel box outside(All connection are 256kbps)

So that actually means I'm connecting from the line I have disconnected 1 year ago . So is this illegal or will the billing be directed at my sister's Internet bill or will I get a call from Airtel stating an illegal usage.
The problem is my parents banned me from using internet until exams gets over, so I don't want any one in my house to know. So please help me guys.
 

Nikhil

Well-Known Member
Adept
Mar 29, 2005
8,546
79
136
33
www.techenclave.com
When you say you "removed internet since", do oyu mean you gave a proper letter, etc to Airtel asking them to disconnect? If you did, then now your line shouldnt work.

If you use the internet without paying, then yes. You are cheating Airtel. In this case, immediately inform them that you have reactivated your internet line.
 

hash

New Member
Disciple
Aug 3, 2009
720
12
0
30
When you say you "removed internet since", do oyu mean you gave a proper letter, etc to Airtel asking them to disconnect? If you did, then now your line shouldnt work
I don't know if I gave a letter , but when I disconnected they took the modem away.

And when i opened the Airtel box outside , I found 2 Pipes going one into my room and another into my sister's room. And the wires inside them seem to be connected at the same points in the Airtel box outside.

I thought using it would mean something like "parallel connection" . Of course both my sister I don't use at the same time cause I use my sister's modem.
 

dOm1naTOr

Well-Known Member
Adept
Nov 4, 2007
2,094
43
61
31
Kottayam kerala
Heard lot of this kinda issue with my local cable ISP[cable modem type]. And never heard of that ISP suing anyone for this. Its a mistake from their part, and no one is responsible other than them.

Just make sure, that its the same line u disconnected long ago, which you are getting now and now the connection used by your sister. Then everything is good to go.

And the ISP addresses uses not by line, but MAC id of your modem. If both connections are from same modem, then it might be the same connections too.

First of all check both yours IP addresses

click this to check it

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/mysiggu1.jpg
 

hash

New Member
Disciple
Aug 3, 2009
720
12
0
30
Well both the connection's are 256 kbps but the new modem looks a bit different from my older modem.

But I will definitively try what you said.But the IP addresses change each time I turn off the modem and turn it on,right?

 

amol_cool

Active Member
Adept
Apr 21, 2009
407
7
31
30
www.amolpatil.com
hash said:
Hi,

I don't know what I'm doing is legit or illegal,please help me.

Actually I had Airtel Internet 256 kbps about 1 year ago and I removed Internet since. Now my sister took internet in another room in the house she has a direct line going there and yesterday I just removed the modem from my sisters room and connected the modem to my PC and I have a separate line(that little thingy that phone wire goes into) in my room from the Airtel box outside(All connection are 256kbps)

So that actually means I'm connecting from the line I have disconnected 1 year ago . So is this illegal or will the billing be directed at my sister's Internet bill or will I get a call from Airtel stating an illegal usage.

The problem is my parents banned me from using internet until exams gets over, so I don't want any one in my house to know. So please help me guys.
don't worry. When you remove your sister's modem and connect it to your line it actually means that you are using your sisters connection. The line that actually exists doesn't determine the connection. Don't confuse it with the normal cable TV connection! It doesn't work like that. We often do that with my hathway connection. The usage is modem dependent and not LINE dependent. So don worry about that. When you disconnected your connection your line should still be live. However if you were to use your old modem on that line, it won;t work now. But if you connect another working modem then it will surely work! Try it ;)

That is not illegal either :)
 

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
5,367
175
202
Chennai
I guess the login Id and password are stored on the modem and you are actually using your sisters account. Nothing illegal, only you are going behind your parents backs
 

Nikhil

Well-Known Member
Adept
Mar 29, 2005
8,546
79
136
33
www.techenclave.com
bottle said:
I guess the login Id and password are stored on the modem and you are actually using your sisters account. Nothing illegal, only you are going behind your parents backs
lol.... that's worse re :p . Never take on your parents(especially moms!)
 

major9

Well-Known Member
Adept
Jan 7, 2007
351
6
82
30
Cochin
yakkee.com
Remember the old Cartoon Network slogan "Don't stay at home without it".

We should do that if our parents disconnect our net because of exams.
 

hash

New Member
Disciple
Aug 3, 2009
720
12
0
30
That's so cool. Now I steal one modem from my dad's office same Airtel 256 kbps and use it every sunday's.
 

SoMxNemesis

Snore PHD
Adept
Oct 1, 2007
1,018
15
53
bottle said:
I guess the login Id and password are stored on the modem and you are actually using your sisters account. Nothing illegal, only you are going behind your parents backs
Lol.. true.. sometimes that's fun..not saying its right.. but its fun.

major9 said:
Remember the old Cartoon Network slogan "Don't stay at home without it".

We should do that if our parents disconnect our net because of exams.
LOL.. not exactly a bright idea..

hash said:
That's so cool. Now I steal one modem from my dad's office same Airtel 256 kbps and use it every sunday's.
Lol.. dude.. :|

rravikantt said:
Today is saturday lol
Double LOL :rofl:

Look @ the Tags below.. :rofl:
 

hash

New Member
Disciple
Aug 3, 2009
720
12
0
30
Well, too bad I used one of the modem's from my father's office which is 1 KM away from my home and it didn't work. :(
 

Arun.P

Well-Known Member
Adept
Jul 24, 2007
1,654
63
137
29
Chennai
^err why can to get new modem just 1.2k and find out the isp name also password

from your sister or dad while config the ip address when u are out u can hide the modem at u safety cupboard :p

or get wi-fi route for connect to the modem and add wi-fi pci card or usb :eek:hyeah:
 

skada

New Member
Disciple
Aug 7, 2007
46
2
0
" bad boi bad boi , cheater sheater !!! , i stole daddys modem "

Hilarious ...
 

coolraghav

Well-Known Member
Adept
Sep 4, 2006
1,065
10
52
32
dude your profile says you are '20' and ur parents not allowing you to do internet ?

are we going through another 40 yr old virgin in the making man ?

btw i luv the tags ..you've put..LOL "bad boi" ..