AM3/DDR3 based system - suggestion needed

askids

Disciple
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new PC (with some components from my age old pc). I am trying to see if I can squeeze in a GPU with some compromise on MB & SMPS. I had earlier thought of buying Asus 785TD-V EVO with Corsair VX450. But now I am contemplating on going for less priced mobo/smps with GPU combo. Please provide suggestions.

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 20-23K

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

1. Monitor - Samsung 2233sw ( I had upgraded it in early 2009)

2. HDD - Samsung 120 GB IDE

WD 320GB IDE (from my external HDD)

3. and age old system

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. Monitor - Samsung 2233sw

2. HDD - Samsung 120 GB IDE

WD 320GB IDE

3. RAM - 4(2X2) GB DDR3 CL9- GSkill RipJaw Series (had got this separately)

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - Phenom II 555BE

2. Motherboard - AM3 motherboard with DDR3 support, HDMI out, optical sound out, support for IDE

3. GPU - want to buy 5670 512MB but looks out of budget for now

4. Cabinet - need a slim cabinet which will support my existing HDD. If not possible to fit GPU and others, I will go for a mid-tower cabinet.

5. SMPS - Corsair CX400/VX450/CM xtreme power

6. HDD - WD 500GB Blue

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

2. GPU - 5670 512MB

3. TV tuner - need suggestion

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Mysore/Bangalore

2. Open to online purchase/TE Dealer

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. Yes

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

This s/m will be primarily used by my father. I would like to use this a secondary TV with an TV tuner. But later on I am planning to use it as a HTPC.

1. Home Use/Browsing

2. HTPC

3. Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1. No.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

1. Racing - NFS at med/high settings

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming - 1280x1024

2. Desktop - 1920x1080, 1600x1200

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. Yes

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows XP/7

I had gone to buy the components on saturday, but could not find VX450. Also, monday is a holiday here for the shops. So I thought that it would be good to get some second opinion to see if I could squeeze a GPU with some alternatives.

Thanks!

Better sell your IDE drives and go for newer SATA ones. IDE drives have good resale value. Most new AM3 mobos only have one IDE port. It will reduce your choice among mobo if you are looking for mobos wih 2 IDE ports.

DarkAngel said:
Better sell your IDE drives and go for newer SATA ones. IDE drives have good resale value. Most new AM3 mobos only have one IDE port. It will reduce your choice among mobo if you are looking for mobos wih 2 IDE ports.
ok. I will use only one of the HDD and sell the remaining one.

1. CPU - Phenom II 555BE - 5.2k

2. Motherboard - AM3 motherboard with DDR3 support, HDMI out, optical sound out, support for IDE - MSI 785G-E53 - 5.5k ( has HDMI port) [url="http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1899]MSI 785G-E53[/url]

3. GPU - want to buy 5670 512MB but looks out of budget for now - 5.2k

4. Cabinet - need a slim cabinet which will support my existing HDD. If not possible to fit GPU and others, I will go for a mid-tower cabinet. - CM Elite 310 - 1.6k

5. SMPS - Corsair CX400/VX450/CM xtreme power - Seasonic S12II 380w - 3k(5 yrs warranty)

6. HDD - WD 500GB Blue - 2.3k

Total: 22.8k~

thx Dark Angel!! Regarding SMPS, should I go for Seasonic S12II 380w or Corsair CX400 since both cost around the same? I have seen CX400 being quoted 2800 + shipping on dealer's paradise. But now sure if the rates are the same now.

Also, will I be able to unlock the PII cores with this mobo?

about the mobo, you can go for the Biostar TA 785G3 @ 3.6k.

One of the best 785G mobo and really stable for Ocing.

Only cons are, no esata, micro ATX, and 2 memory slots.

But it supports 1600 DDR3, core unlocking, and lots of OC options.

Get the Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3 (DDR3, USB 3.0) motherboard.
I don't know the cost (it must be about 6k-7k) but you will also get usb 3.0

amitn18 said:
Get the Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3 (DDR3, USB 3.0) motherboard.
I don't know the cost (it must be about 6k-7k) but you will also get usb 3.0

Not worth the extra price. It's a 785 board, so USB 3.0 and SATA3 will come in as add-on cards. If one really wants USB3 and SATA3, then wait for 8xx series.

No USB3.0 for me. Anyway its going to be as add-on cards. So I can get it later as well.

So can anyone answer my other 2 questions

1) Does MSI 785G E53 supports core unclocking?

2) Between, Seasonic S12II 380w or Corsair CX400, which one should I go for?

The Biostar TA785G3 HD does not have a optical out. BTW, how much does the board cost?

Thank you Dark Angel and others who gave me suggestions during my upgrade. I am now a proud owner of a B55 :clap::clap:

Sl No Component Price
1 Phenom II X2 555BE 5150 + VAT
2 Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 6400 + VAT
3 Seagate 500GB 2350 + VAT
4 LG 22X DVD-RW 1050 + VAT
5 Corsair VX450 3870 (incl S/h)
6 NZXT Gamma Classic 2120 (incl S/h)

Total - 21456 (all incl)

Ordered NZXT from theitdepot.com and Corsair from Buygamingstuff. I was supposed to get the CPU+MB combo from SMC (200/- less than above price) but due to last minute changes in my travel plan, I ended up buying it locally in Mysore.

Next Step - Need to add my config to my Sig :eek:hyeah:
askids

PS: Could not figure out how to use the table tag :(

Back