Amazon Echo/Echo Dot/Echo Plus India Launch (Prime Subscription Free)

My Prime subscription expired on the 11th of this month and I went ahead and renewed it (for Rs.499/-) on the very same day. Yesterday I received an invitation for buying the Echo devices. I made a call to Amazon right now because I wanted to know how the additional 1 year of Prime membership will be handled since I already renewed the membership on the 11th.

It turns out that Amazon will add the 1 year Prime subscription which comes bundled with the Echo devices to my existing subscription. So, next year on the 11th of October (2018) the subscription will auto renew itself for another year. Nice! :)

Its not about hype. Its an entirely new type of product being introduced into the market. They don't know how the market will react. The interest levels could be huge or not at all. The invite system is probably used as a mechanism to both act as a flood guard and also at the same time gauge interest levels based on which they can decide how much stocks to bring into the country.

Its not about hype. Its an entirely new type of product being introduced into the market. They don't know how the market will react. The interest levels could be huge or not at all. The invite system is probably used as a mechanism to both act as a flood guard and also at the same time gauge interest levels based on which they can decide how much stocks to bring into the country.
Thats exactly what it is. I want this to kick off in India so that more and more apps take up this and many a things gets voice controlled eventually.

I thought by now everyone is sick and tired of the invite sytems made (un)popular by oneplus and xiaomi (flash sale actually).

Flash sale is not the same thing as the invite system. OnePlus did use the invite system, but they are not the first one or the first one to make it popular in the technology product arena. Google was the one who made it fairly popular with Google Mail being an invite only affair for fairly decent amount of time. Companies like Notion Ink based in India have also used it.

I have already ordered one Echo Dot and now have invite for one more.
What do you guys think?
Should I buy one more for better coverage around the house, or just carry the one I have already ordered with me to whichever room I am in, as I had planned earlier.

Its not there yet. The US Play Store app is still not accepting Indian addresses.
For people who are getting the delivery of the echo devices, how are they setting it up? I got this invite and it was telling me that the delivery could be done in 2 days. I am sure few who bought them would have got them by now.

For people who are getting the delivery of the echo devices, how are they setting it up? I got this invite and it was telling me that the delivery could be done in 2 days. I am sure few who bought them would have got them by now.
It would be showing 2 days from the day it starts shipping which is 31st October.

Anyone having the Echo and US Play Store access can try to set the location to India. They have not allowed the Alexa app in Indian Play Store yet.

Screenshot_20171027-090540.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1509077597][/DOUBLEPOST]However, Alexa is not showing enabled in the FireTV Stick yet. Can someone change their account to USA (from India) and try?

Last edited:
I dont have an Android device (so no access to any apps or play stores) so I do my setup via the alexa webpage. It shows me the option now to set Indian address but fails with message "unable to save your settings". Maybe it's not fully enabled yet for Indian market?

I dont have an Android device (so no access to any apps or play stores) so I do my setup via the alexa webpage. It shows me the option now to set Indian address but fails with message "unable to save your settings". Maybe it's not fully enabled yet for Indian market?

Based on what I checked up, they have new locations enabled for quite a few countries. However, the Amazon account needs to be USA, which will be fixed in sometime soon, I guess.[DOUBLEPOST=1509083464][/DOUBLEPOST]List of location that can be enabled

Screenshot_20171027-111844.png
Screenshot_20171027-111838.png

Back