amazon global

hehehe damn the dollar rate now ... :| , now going to get that printer weighing only 9 pounds and see if its eligible :D

Have they activated this on their generic site....? I think something like this was on before. Order limit was 225 USD or greater. And they were cutting some $30 (or what ever based on price) for customs. If less, they would reimburse, if more..they would pay the differential. I remember a thread about that here.

I checked for a hard disk and it did show the Free Shipping option.

Attachments

• amazon-global-free.PNG
    amazon-global-free.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 280
Nice find @kippu and I am waiting for the dollar to drop and my eyes are on the HDD and the portable scanners.
Waiting for @varkey to give the fab news on HDD Deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good find and finally Amazon rolling this out for India, but current dollar rate would be the dampener for everything

Import Fee deposit is refunded (if not charged) within 60 days. Sometimes it takes exact 60 days as well. I always have to contact customer care after I receive the parcel, and if I am not given customs receipt from courier on delivery, to ask amazon CC whether customs duty had been charged or not.
Parcels are shipped via aramex, if normal shipping is selected. With tracking.

Good thing is their CC as we all know is good. But frankly speaking this customs deposit does become headache some times, if it takes more than 1 month to get refunded.

^^But that customs should always be considered part of the entire cost and ideally we dont expect them to return. I am pretty sure there are companies out there which charge appropriate percentage of customs when you pay but who knows whether they themselves pay those customs or not. Probably goes into their profits.

Issue is courier, on delivery do not hand over customs duty receipt. At least not for my orders till now. So I do not get to know whether duty is charged or not. So every time, I have to contact CC to know whether duty was charged. Sometimes, I get the copy-paste reply that "If duty not charged, it will automatically get refunded within 60 days". Now, deposit amount for peeps like me, who keeps on ordering Blu-rays from amazon, will sure keep on getting blocked for significant amount of time.
From amazon's place, process is streamlined pretty well. But it's the courier part. And on top of that 60 days limit is little bit too much for duty refund.

@crossbow : You can always call Aramex and ask for the BOE (Bill of Entry) which will have all the details regarding the duty. You could forward the same to Amazon and get the deposit refunded if duty was not charged.

Import Fee deposit is refunded (if not charged) within 60 days. Sometimes it takes exact 60 days as well. I always have to contact customer care after I receive the parcel, and if I am not given customs receipt from courier on delivery, to ask amazon CC whether customs duty had been charged or not.
Parcels are shipped via aramex, if normal shipping is selected. With tracking.

Good thing is their CC as we all know is good. But frankly speaking this customs deposit does become headache some times, if it takes more than 1 month to get refunded.

You need to call the States for all this..?

@crossbow : You can always call Aramex and ask for the BOE (Bill of Entry) which will have all the details regarding the duty. You could forward the same to Amazon and get the deposit refunded if duty was not charged.
@varkey, Thanks mate.
Yes that's true. Generally with SnS parcels they provide duty bill, not only their computerized invoice, but scanned invoice of amount which they paid to customs as well.
But If duty is not charged, there is no invoice which they can provide(that's what I am told in past), which later on I can send to amazon, claiming the speedy duty deposit refund.
But my main point is, this entire duty deposit refund process in case of duty-not-charged takes some good amount of time. And, for me it has been bit hectic as well.
One example (Though bit different, but related): http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/amazon-issues.146229/
On other hand when there's no duty deposit involved, things become quite easier. My every parcel from amazon UK via normal delivery method (no tracking) has arrived within 10 days (And shipping is cheaper as well), with only couple of exceptions. Even If duty is charged, Duty receipt from post is stuck on parcel, and postman collects the amount. Same for other amazon.

On the contrary, there are lots of cases where duty got refunded within 3-4 days as well. So there's no harm, as it's amazon.

You need to call the States for all this..?

what is this supposed to mean ? :confused:

I have few queries about amazon global.

1. What local courier does amazon use for delivering the product after it lands in India ?
2. How do i know the import fees is actually charged on the package or not ? Since i have to pre pay that and if i get lucky and they do not charge the fees then how can i ask that back ?
3. Is anyone from Pune or Mumbai planning to order anything from amazon global so that we can probably club our purchase to get it over 125$ and get free shipping. I will do the main payment since i have gift card balance as well. And you can transfer me the INR. The item i want to purchase costs 80$ ((base price before shipping or taxes or anything).

Back