Amazon.In: Tablets, Laptops, Electronics No Longer Eligible for Refunds

Have you thought about losses to seller.. with these 'try before you buy' type of policy.

Clothes & other accessories can be resell on return but electronics items cannot be resell once the seal gets opened.

No, I'm not thinking about losses to the seller. I'm also not thinking about the wide reach that the online platform will give him/her. The seller is engaged in business & it's for him to decide the terms of sale & the consequences thereof. Every profession has its hazards. I'm purely making a statement as a consumer. It's just an opinion, & no more valid than the next person's.

I am (or should I say, have been) a retailer myself (B&M though, not electronics related). In fact, on a few discussions here on TE, I've put forth the view from a retailer's perspective as well. While some people may be sympathetic to a retailer's woes, the majority could care less. Everyone is trying to maximize their own benefits, & that's the hard truth.

So in the present case, I still stand by my opinion. At the end of the day, the policy has indeed changed & I'm the one who has to decide if I'm okay with it. If the venture is profitable to the vendor despite the policy change, that's good for him/her. I'm just not as comfortable, that's all.

WTF!!!
I never knew that we could use and return stuff bought on Amazon.

:mad:
:'(
:bawling:

hehe.... I know the feel !!
I had just returned one book till now because by mistake I ordered the Hindi version and I was skeptical if they would take it back as it was my mistake. :)

Yeah that's been my experience with Amazon also, similarly with Myntra - Flipkart ; Never had any issues with returning items for refund.
Your account purchase history has lot of weight I think, online marketplaces aren't as democratic as we think.

I think that its perfectly ok to get better service if you've proven to be a good customer.

No Refund policy = No Sale. :finger:

That's perfectly fine with them because then they know for sure that only serious buyers would be purchasing and their resources would be better spent towards serving them.

In any case, this move is being pushed by the vendors, so expect it to become the norm on all platforms.

I'm unhappy though. I believe in this age of online exclusives, one needs to have a 'try before you buy' type of policy. How else is one supposed to get the look & feel of any device that is exclusively sold online?

Also, it's now difficult to convince those that are sitting on the fence to try buying online at least once. In fact, ever since amazon changed their policy on mobile phones, I've been warning any potential buyers I come across about the change.

Lets say that when you make a purchase worth 20k, Amazon sends you an item that was opened, used and returned within 10 days (lets assume that the previous buyer did not like the color). Would you be OK with accepting that item for the full price you paid? If you are willing to take that item, but not at the full price, what price would you be willing to pay for it? 19k, 18k?

Lets say you are willing to pay 18k. Next, will you be willing to lose 2k if you are the first buyer of the item and want to return it because you did not like the color or feel of it?

The points raised by both sides are correct. Amazon are looking to cut their losses and rightly so. However, I think that they should still offer the refund as an option for products that can be verified as defective. Also, many people won't buy exclusive devices as they can't get a feel of the same at a B&M store.

You still have the replacement policy in place to cover defective items. To be honest, the refund policy is abused quite a bit and it also encourages a lot of impulsive buying.
Personally, I am in favor of a paid return policy where you take a small loss on amount paid to return a item. That that should balance out things.

You still have the replacement policy in place to cover defective items. To be honest, the refund policy is abused quite a bit and it also encourages a lot of impulsive buying.
Personally, I am in favor of a paid return policy where you take a small loss on amount paid to return a item. That that should balance out things.
Agree. Especially reviewers who buy the phone and return them back for a full refund after the review is done.

Hell, I Didn't even know that there was a return policy for goods I didn't like .. I have not once returned products (unless they were defective to begin with) either in India or elsewhere.. Would I be fine if an Amazon were to refuse a return on a DOA/defective product? hell no!
And that is probably the reason I prefer Amazon over a FK or SD because so far, their CRM system (given their experience and fine tuned Alogorithms) has been smart enough to refund near instantaneously in the one off cases I did have to return...
Having said that, I'd me mighty pissed at amazon (even if it is on account of the misuse of this policy by others) if this were to prevent me from being able to get a genuine return processed .. But I will reserve my judgment till the day it happens

I don't see how this new policy will stop the abusers. You can still return the phone/tablet for a replacement.
Now if I am hell bent on abusing the system, and have no need for the device, I will just keep returning the replacements as well citing different reasons. After a couple of returns, I am pretty sure that they themselves will give an option of refund against replacement. Hence, all this policy change is gonna do is create issues for genuine users.
Like I have already pointed out in this thread, the only problem I have with this policy is that sometimes a person doesn't have time to wait as he might need a phone/tablet/laptop urgently. And if a defective item is received in this case, then I would like my money back as I would have to pick up a replacement urgently from a B&M store.

What about wrong information of the product on information page? Online marketplaces should be held responsible for such discrepancies.

Wilful misleading ( I know many sellers do this) the customers to buy something and don't allow a refund ; (I was checking laptops including Apple Macs on Flipkart and Amazon yesterday - its filled with glaring mistakes, CPU generation itself is wrong in many cases)
Certified buyers have highlighted these things in customer reviews ; no necessary corrections done in many cases.
A refund should be awarded in such a situation ; else, correct such irregularities and guarantee the prospective buyers that our info is accurate.

Last edited:
Lets say that when you make a purchase worth 20k, Amazon sends you an item that was opened, used and returned within 10 days (lets assume that the previous buyer did not like the color). Would you be OK with accepting that item for the full price you paid? If you are willing to take that item, but not at the full price, what price would you be willing to pay for it? 19k, 18k?

Lets say you are willing to pay 18k. Next, will you be willing to lose 2k if you are the first buyer of the item and want to return it because you did not like the color or feel of it?
Hell no he didn't apply his mind on all aspects, he just wants try and buy approach

The reason is people started misusing it. Amazon is looking for their turn and they did what they want to. Now everyone gonna suffer if they receive a defective one!

I don't see how this new policy will stop the abusers. You can still return the phone/tablet for a replacement.
Now if I am hell bent on abusing the system, and have no need for the device, I will just keep returning the replacements as well citing different reasons. After a couple of returns, I am pretty sure that they themselves will give an option of refund against replacement. Hence, all this policy change is gonna do is create issues for genuine users.
Like I have already pointed out in this thread, the only problem I have with this policy is that sometimes a person doesn't have time to wait as he might need a phone/tablet/laptop urgently. And if a defective item is received in this case, then I would like my money back as I would have to pick up a replacement urgently from a B&M store.

No, you will not be able to make returns continuously without reason. Most platforms have safe guards against that.

And yeah, people hell bent on abusing the system are always there and not just because of this. This is why our country cannot have good things in the first place. For instance, fraud's like ordering an item and claiming that the package arrived empty or abusing the COD system which was why the option was withdrawn from certain states. There is always a price to pay when people do such things and the effect will not be limited to those who did those things.

Amazon's replacements are pretty fast. Regardless of what shipping option you used for the original purchase, replacements seem to be sent using prioritized shipping.

WTF!!!
I never knew that we could use and return stuff bought on Amazon.

:mad:
:'(
:bawling:
you're not alone.

You still have the replacement policy in place to cover defective items.
but don't the products have to go through the service center first now?
What about wrong information of the product on information page? Online marketplaces should be held responsible for such discrepancies.
Can confirm. Came across such for a few products in the past, told Amazon but they didn't do anything. Not sure if they've corrected now.

Back