Amazon Prime is now in India!

Amazon has launched its much renowned Prime services in India today. Prime accounts come with a plethora of benefits, including unlimited free shipping for products of any value, free one-day delivery or two-delivery in all eligible addresses, discounted same day delivery, etc.

Customers can opt for a 60 day trial in the beginning, and then decide whether to continue or not. Membership will cost Rs.999/-, but that has been discounted and showing as Rs.499/- as introductory offer. Contrary to Amazon Prime US membership, here we do not need to pay the membership fee before beginning the trial. Just click on the link in the home page, and you are good to go with your trial membership. :)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/prime/pipeline/landing?ie=UTF8&ref_=br_imp
https://www.amazon.in/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202044240
Thanks buddy. Just registered.

First of all they are offering the actual prime benefits for $14.80 (86% less than US pricing) because of the fact India being a price conscious market and you expect them to apply the same benefits to sister branches?
it's primarily based on the shipping costs which are way too high in the US. how can they demand the same US subscription price here? even the digital content cannot be exploited to the same extent as in the US.

First of all they are offering the actual prime benefits for $14.80 (86% less than US pricing) because of the fact India being a price conscious market and you expect them to apply the same benefits to sister branches?

I love this Indian mentality. :p
I think its much like a beta version in India with 90% less feature rich than that in US. We're basically free beta testers.
This price comparison to US version makes it value for money & Amazon just wants us to think that.

Also, Flipkart advantage is offered at 500 Rs /yr ( I always felt its worth) , which is the closest rival for Amazon prime.

We don't mind paying but its worth will soon be known, currently its less worthy - so its being offered free and not even credit card details are being asked IMHO.
till how long would we get free trial ? wanna wait a few weeks so i maximise use of the free trial
You can create one more Amazon India account if need be...

it's primarily based on the shipping costs which are way too high in the US. how can they demand the same US subscription price here? even the digital content cannot be exploited to the same extent as in the US.

That's exactly the point he was making, how can one expect first world services at third world rates ?

He's not wrong though is he, the instinct to look for savings precedes common sense more often than not in Indians.

P.S. I don't get the excitement for on-demand video services at all, they are pretty much useless when it comes to India.

OeCyAsx.jpg

Also, Flipkart advantage is offered at 500 Rs /yr ( I always felt its worth) , which is the closest rival for Amazon prime.
Flipkart Advantage is still useless. 80%+ AmazonIN products are fulfilled & are available under Prime. Where as Flipkart's WSRETAIL and half a dozen other sellers under Flipkart Advantage are just 30-35%.

No matter how fast the kid grows up by observing his father.. You can never compare him with his father!

I don't get the excitement for on-demand video services at all, they are pretty much useless when it comes to India.

Agree. We are a 2-3 years away from getting guaranteed decent quality bandwidth across the country. Forget steaming HD content, we don't have decent signal strength that assures of a clear voice call everywhere.

Introductory offer is 500/ year for the first year which is worth it for "The Grand Tour" itself and apart from that we will get the entire Amazon originals catalogue, Amazon is also sponsoring some content in India which will surely be different from the TV soaps we see on normal channels.

And the 1 day and 2 day free delivery is awesome as it covers many more cities than flipkart does for faster delivery options. Have already started ordering stuff which i have in mind instead of waiting few days to make a 500rs total.

Are you folks comparing the prices of small items against same/similar stuff available offline/locally? For example I got a pack of 10 "gel" writing pens for 300 which is the full MRP coming to Rs. 30 per pen. But in nearby shop for similar pens it's about 10 bucks each I believe.

Also got a pack of 6 duracell AAA batteries for 210 - not sure what it would cost locally.

I love this Indian mentality. :p
Jeez! Everyone's getting dem knickers in a twist. Was just a simple question. FYI, My Amazon UK account is still subscribed to Prime. Has paid for itself within the first 3 months because of next day shipping even though 80 pounds a year was on the higher side.

Back