Amazon Prime is now in India!

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
Amazon has launched its much renowned Prime services in India today. Prime accounts come with a plethora of benefits, including unlimited free shipping for products of any value, free one-day delivery or two-delivery in all eligible addresses, discounted same day delivery, etc.

Customers can opt for a 60 day trial in the beginning, and then decide whether to continue or not. Membership will cost Rs.999/-, but that has been discounted and showing as Rs.499/- as introductory offer. Contrary to Amazon Prime US membership, here we do not need to pay the membership fee before beginning the trial. Just click on the link in the home page, and you are good to go with your trial membership. :)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/prime/pipeline/landing?ie=UTF8&ref_=br_imp
https://www.amazon.in/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202044240

So what sort of buyer would benefit from this? Genuinely asking.

From what I can see, Amazon Fulfilled already delivers items for free if above 500inr. & they also usually deliver to my place in ~2-3 days.

In other words, does it make sense for anyone other than a regular, impatient buyer?

So what sort of buyer would benefit from this? Genuinely asking.

From what I can see, Amazon Fulfilled already delivers items for free if above 500inr. & they also usually deliver to my place in ~2-3 days.

In other words, does it make sense for anyone other than a regular, impatient buyer?
You will get early access (30 mins I think) to lightning deals which is pretty good if you are a regular shopper. Not sure about flash sales though.

Its all the same items that go on sale everyday. I don't know whether getting 30 mins pre access is a good thing on these.

Now will order some pending cart items in single day for FREE!!! shipping.
Also the annual fee is too low for regular shoppers and even for occasional ones.

You will get early access (30 mins I think) to lightning deals which is pretty good if you are a regular shopper. Not sure about flash sales though.
During these lightening deals, are there any genuine price reductions? Or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Good News:

The only good thing i can think of Amazon prime is I can avoid 40rs delivery charge, Every time i was made to shop for min 500 even though i don't need to. Plus Video content is going to make it more exciting.

Bad News:

Jabong bought down by Myntra. Noo.. I would have been happy if it was Snapdeal.

Last edited:
During these lightening deals, are there any genuine price reductions? Or is it just a marketing gimmick?
I would say many of them are genuine deals. Though it depends on whether you need them or not on various categories. I've managed to buy a few items for which I normally might have paid 30-40% more (but still under MRP).
So the prime account will help in such cases. However whether they put up good deals or not we can only know after it actually happens. You need to check the site regularly and mark items which will be available later. The timer is there.
In short its a gamble. A cheap gamble if you don't mind spending.

This is going to immensely help guys like me who live in rural areas which are currently serviced by Amazon. There are many small things that I don't get locally which I would like to buy from Amazon but couldn't because of extra delivery charges.

According to customer support guy, Video service will take some more time could be nearly 45 days. So basically in Free trial there are very little chance of watching Free Videos. :p

Even with 999/year with video, Amazon prime is a win-win for consumers! :D

Back