Amazon's tablet - Press event on 28th Sep,2011

Sanav3

Adept
(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O), which revolutionized reading with its Kindle e-reader, is expected to unveil a tablet computer next week that analysts say will seriously challenge Apple's (AAPL.O) market dominating iPad.

Amazon on Friday invited media to a press conference to be held in New York next Wednesday, declining to provide further details.

But analysts were confident that the world's largest Internet retailer will introduce its long-awaited tablet computer this year to expand in mobile commerce and sell more digital goods and services.

"Wednesday is tablet day," BGC partners analyst Colin Gillis told Reuters.

The tablet has been awaited as a strong competitor to Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) iPad. Apple has sold about 29 million of the devices since its launch in April 2010.

"The real issue here is that, you know, it is likely going to be good for consumers; is this going to be good for shareholders?," Gillis said. He wondered whether Amazon would price the tablet below those of rivals -- and thereby do little to boost margins.

"Knowing Amazon, it is likely to be a very aggressive price," Gillis said.

Source Amazon expected to unveil tablet next week | Reuters
More Amazon Kindle Tablet: Android Tablet or eReader on Steroids? | PCWorld Business Center

^^ that's a given

Amazon has a great shot at the no2 market.an android running amazon tablet with the plethora of services amazon provides will be a sure sell in the u.s market.especially since early voices say that it's going to be economically priced.

Fahrenheit said:
My prediction:

7" capacitive screen

16GB flash memory expandable

$250-$300 price range

Android Honeycomb

sources are saying that there are going to be 2 versions.a 7 inch and a 10 inch.lets see how it goes.personally hoping for a 7 inch version priced at around 200 to 250.

The 79 USD Kindle is the non-touch version which is releasing on 12 October.

The 99 USD Kindle is the multi-touch version releasing on 21 November. My friend is returning from the US on 21st October, wondering if getting the non-touch kindle is worth it :-/

pm2XU.jpg

Do I need to say anymore :D

Image source: Amazon Kindle Fire vs. iPad 2 vs. Nook Color: by the numbers | This is my next...

Get a HP touchpad at 13-15k instead. 10 inch IPS display, 1.5 ghz dual core processor, 16 gb hdd. Android around the corner.

Its a no brainer.

SharekhaN said:
Get a HP touchpad at 13-15k instead. 10 inch IPS display, 1.5 ghz dual core processor, 16 gb hdd. Android around the corner.

Its a no brainer.

Actually, it isn't.
Not everyone cares to fiddle about with flashing ROMs and stuff.
+ The Fire comes WITH support from Amazon.

What happens if you brick your touchpad 3 months down the line? You'll be SOL.
Having said all that, I would still personally take a touchpad at $99 over the Fire at $199.

Darthcoder said:
The 79 USD Kindle is the non-touch version which is releasing on 12 October.

The 99 USD Kindle is the multi-touch version releasing on 21 November. My friend is returning from the US on 21st October, wondering if getting the non-touch kindle is worth it :-/

The only thing wrong with the non-touch $79 kindle seems to be the battery life. I need to charge my kindle3 atleast once a week, it gives me just about 2500-3000 page turns, and according to Amazon, the $79 kindle has half the battery life of the other kindles, even though it doesn't have audio. If you aren't a heavy reader, it's totally worth it.

But if you're a heavy reader get the kindle3, which is just $99 now.

I don't like the fact that the kindle touch doesn't have page turn buttons, so I'd rather buy the old kindle than the new one, or even the new $79 kindle.

But wait a bit before you buy. I'm sure the nook and kobo ereaders will see price cuts pretty soon.

Yayy for the planet...hopefully these low prices will save a few forests.

SharekhaN said:

Its a no brainer.

From where?

Last time I checked it's was withdrawn by HP and it's no where available to purchase...

The Amazon Kindle Fire doesn't have a lot of extras packed into it. Along with the limited storage space and the lack of 3G, the Kindle Fire also lacks Bluetooth support and doesn't have a camera. There was also no mention of a gyroscope, an accelerometer or all of the other little extras we've come to take for granted on our iPad.

Some points to consider, they should have added a camera at least.
And whats the OS on this thing? GB/HC .. ICS or its just all amazon.

Source - Kindle Fire vs. iPad: 5 Reasons Why Amazon's Tablet Is No iPad Killer

EDIT: summed up nicely..
In short, Amazon is aiming to sell us books, music and movies. Apple is aiming to replace the personal computer.

Back