AMD 890GX Chipset & its lower end counterparts in Hyderabad?

AB47

Disciple
Guys,

Why isn't anyone talking about the new 890gx chipset from AMD?

I feel it's a bit future proof with added support for AMD X6 processors.

Shouldn't we ask the ppl going in for a new rig to wait and go for this one.

And one more thing, just an update. Don't know if its known to other Hyderabadis in TE but I asked Computer Bazar (the guy who sits exactly opp to the entrance, with specs) He said it might be there in CTC in about a month. Read a lot of reviews of two boards one Gigabyte and the other ASUS version.

So what do you all say people? Is it worth the wait? coz i'm desperately in need of a new rig except the monitor, KB, mouse, speakers and other stuff. I'm waiting for that mobo to enter hyderabad. I want to use my ATI HD5670 1GB also which is lying there in that package right the way i bought it. Unused, PCI-e version incompatibility issue. Boo hoo. :( :huh:

The 890GX doesn't bring with it major functionality apart form the x6 support and a new southbridge chipset (SB850) which brings in 6Gbps SATA which was much anticipated, i think it would not be as great an improvement over the existing chipsets for one to wait and delay their purchases.

Well if there are people who just crave for the newest stuff they can surely wait.

I would certainly not delay my purchase unless these boards will debut cheaper than the existing ones in the market which I'm sure will not be true ;)

the board is from msi
it is 890gxm
it is just an extended version of 790gxm.
890gxm has improved southbridge so that it can support 3.0 usb and 3.0 sata.
improved on board graphics is another story.
there's also a 890gx board from gigabyte but it is micro atx format.

so conclusion is that 890 gxm is just a entry level board in 8series chipset.
if someone really wants the best out of his pockets. then he should wait for the high end motherboard of 8 series chipset.
as of now go with the high level 7series mobos. like 790fx.
they will also support "thuban''.

del_x said:
The 890GX doesn't bring with it major functionality apart form the x6 support and a new southbridge chipset (SB850) which brings in 6Gbps SATA which was much anticipated, i think it would not be as great an improvement over the existing chipsets for one to wait and delay their purchases.

Well if there are people who just crave for the newest stuff they can surely wait.

I would certainly not delay my purchase unless these boards will debut cheaper than the existing ones in the market which I'm sure will not be true ;)

@del_x: Hehe ya that's true but i saw the rate of Gigabyte 890GPA- model to be 8500/- something in some website. So, if someone is buying a new rig, can't we just let them know their options? At least i feel so, i know there will be no future proofing computer hardware no matter how long we wait.

I had an A8N-SLI-Prem board but soon after i purchased that, the entire hardware got changed. Although, i had to RMA that faulty board and got an A8N-SLI-Deluxe and then an MSI board with onboard 6150 as a replacement :(

And regarding the availability of 890 chipset mobos in Hyderabad by next month? Could that be for real or just a usual answer from the shopkeepers? :-S

Someone from Hyd, familiar with the shops CTC can answer better.

rdst_1 said:
the board is from msi
it is 890gxm
it is just an extended version of 790gxm.
890gxm has improved southbridge so that it can support 3.0 usb and 3.0 sata.
improved on board graphics is another story.
there's also a 890gx board from gigabyte but it is micro atx format.

so conclusion is that 890 gxm is just a entry level board in 8series chipset.
if someone really wants the best out of his pockets. then he should wait for the high end motherboard of 8 series chipset.
as of now go with the high level 7series mobos. like 790fx.
they will also support "thuban''.

Oh i didn't know that. But anyways i have decided not to spend too much on mobos at least. I'm not going to OC it much. And i don't need a lot of features. Although the ASUS ROG mobos are too good to be true, just love their features, but not for me, not for now at least. All i do is a lil bit of gaming and other usual desktop activities. Any new AM3 mobo should suffice.

Is GX the entry level version? I thought there's something like 880G for the entry. 890FX would take the higher slot. I maybe wrong but i guess i read it somewhere.

BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX

MSI 790GX-G65 ATX

does any of these hav thuban support if yes then which one

^^

Thuban support will have to come through a BIOS update for the older chipsets so i doubt if anyone can confirm the same, may be you will get info by going through the mobo manual.

impulse1992 said:
is 790 mobos available in Bombay???

Wrong place to ask for 790 series queries. Kindly read the Thread title and post accordingly.

Still noone from Hyderabad is responding?

@krishnavamshi24 and pals. Are you aware of this thread.

I'm a noob in TE so i don't have a lot of info abt this and i'm not sure if i can use other members names here but how can i invite someone to view this thread? :huh:

AB47 said:
Wrong place to ask for 790 series queries. Kindly read the Thread title and post accordingly.

i know but wouldn't make sense to make a new thread about it

ne ways sorry for hijacking ur thread:)

AB47.. count me in too..
i m too waiting for the 890GX chipset, especially for the ASUS board, which i hear has a push button onboard to unlock the cores.
the main reason is the USB3, which i see coming in 2011 in form of the USB drives/memory cards.. and i dont plan to upgrade my pc in about 4-5 yrs..
Also the 790 chipset was launched back in 2007, so surely u can say is slightly old, and it is better to get a chipset which might be available in the market even after 2-3 yrs
Lets see whether it is this month or the next..

jayad08 said:
AB47.. count me in too..
i m too waiting for the 890GX chipset, especially for the ASUS board, which i hear has a push button onboard to unlock the cores.
the main reason is the USB3, which i see coming in 2011 in form of the USB drives/memory cards.. and i dont plan to upgrade my pc in about 4-5 yrs..
Also the 790 chipset was launched back in 2007, so surely u can say is slightly old, and it is better to get a chipset which might be available in the market even after 2-3 yrs
Lets see whether it is this month or the next..

Haha Yay! Yippe! :) I got a new partner with the same thoughts :) hehe :p

So what do you think mate? till when will the mobos hit the market full stretch? :)

I'm waiting for only for that. I'll upgrade as soon as it comes. I asked some of the shops in CTC. They said it shld be in here within a month. I don't know why its taking so long.:huh:

This time i don't want to take any compromises. I'll definitely wait but buy something that doesn't vanish as soon as we buy it. :mad:

AB47 said:
Haha Yay! Yippe! :) I got a new partner with the same thoughts :) hehe :p

So what do you think mate? till when will the mobos hit the market full stretch? :)

I'm waiting for only for that. I'll upgrade as soon as it comes. I asked some of the shops in CTC. They said it shld be in here within a month. I don't know why its taking so long.:huh:

This time i don't want to take any compromises. I'll definitely wait but buy something that doesn't vanish as soon as we buy it. :mad:

the boards from asus can be out early next week..
i am in touch with rashi peripherals in delhi.. i was told by Mr Piyush that he would know the pricing of the board by monday/tuesday
i wd prefer a ATX board from ASUS, i suppose it should be M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, but not sue yet.
for all the brands to hit the market, it should be 3-4 weeks..
but really it would be hard to wait for the full month, when i have been already waiting since jan :)

Oh cool :) which place are you from? Delhi? I'm unable to see your location in the thread. But asus huh :-S i'm a bit scared of buying asus boards coz of its poor after sales support. If anything happens to the mobo by chance, they take a lot of time for rma'ing the board. I've seen hell since i bought an a8n-sli once. I'm planning to stick to gigabyte this time. Although I'm not sure of their service and all. I know asus have a lot of features and all but that again scares me. Reminds me of my old mobo. :( I'ld go with the ga-890gpa-... something.
Regarding the pricing. What do you think would be the price range of these boards giga and asus. Asus board will be costlier for sure but by how much compared to gigabyte. I have my fingers crossed. :)

AB47 said:
Oh cool :) which place are you from? Delhi? I'm unable to see your location in the thread. But asus huh :-S i'm a bit scared of buying asus boards coz of its poor after sales support. If anything happens to the mobo by chance, they take a lot of time for rma'ing the board. I've seen hell since i bought an a8n-sli once. I'm planning to stick to gigabyte this time. Although I'm not sure of their service and all. I know asus have a lot of features and all but that again scares me. Reminds me of my old mobo. :( I'ld go with the ga-890gpa-... something.
Regarding the pricing. What do you think would be the price range of these boards giga and asus. Asus board will be costlier for sure but by how much compared to gigabyte. I have my fingers crossed. :)

well i m also not a fan of asus, last time i chose gigabyte for the same reason( i have a GA73PVM-S2H, running fine for more than 2yrs now)
This time i want a ATX rather than a micro ATX which the gigabyte is.. another important factor is that 890 does not support ACC (core unlocking). The ASUS one has that feature supported in hardware just for that. want atleast 2 PCI x16s which i suppose this board has
this board should be priced between asiss 785 EVO and MSI 790FX, should be around 7.5-8k
Giga wd be 6.5k

jayad08 said:
well i m also not a fan of asus, last time i chose gigabyte for the same reason( i have a GA73PVM-S2H, running fine for more than 2yrs now)

This time i want a ATX rather than a micro ATX which the gigabyte is.. another important factor is that 890 does not support ACC (core unlocking). The ASUS one has that feature supported in hardware just for that. want atleast 2 PCI x16s which i suppose this board has

this board should be priced between asiss 785 EVO and MSI 790FX, should be around 7.5-8k

Giga wd be 6.5k

Huh :-? No no jayad08, the Gigabyte is also an ATX board. The MSI 890GXM-E65 is a mATX board.

But ya the core unlocking thing is exclusive to the ASUS but again as i said, ASUS boards are always cute :p Hehe

This core unlocking thing is making me think about the ASUS board now. :-| :ashamed:

Don't know what to do. Let's see. I'll mostly go for a Phenom II X2 555BE. So, that means if i were lucky? i could unlock another core? Is that what it means? :hap5:

jayad08 said:

Giga wd be 6.5k

no way

gigabyte 890 would be priced much higher

impulse1992 said:
no way
gigabyte 890 would be priced much higher

Hmmm you're right impulse1992. I think the ASUS one would be ~>8.5k considering it's features and the Gigabyte version ~8.5k.

Now is this pricing correct? :huh:

AB47 said:
Hmmm you're right impulse1992. I think the ASUS one would be ~>8.5k considering it's features and the Gigabyte version ~8.5k.

Now is this pricing correct? :huh:

really bad news..:mad::mad:
two variants of the 890GX available with ASUS (Rashi Peripherals) are overpriced..
USB3-PRO 11k
without USB3 10k

Now need to find the pricing of gigabyte/MSI and any others..
better to get these from KMD instead

Back