AMD announces Polaris architecture - GCN 4.0

one advantage of the shift to a new node is the odds of getting a rebrand is much lower. they may still tap 28nm for their low end (hd5450/gt730 class) gpus.
the price cut of the fury makes sense given the $150 drop of the nano's price. current roadmaps and rumours indicate a july launch for polaris (with pascal only 2-3 months behind) so it's time to go into stock clearing mode.
I believe they'll release the lower end chip first i.e. the one they demoed against the gtx950.
my assumption from amd's 'console class gaming' statement seems to mean getting the performance of an hd7870 in as low a power envelope as possible. (or fluid 1080p with medium settings with lowest possible power draw) which makes sense for notebooks.

also going by the huge differences in the power draw of vega 11 vs. gtx 950 seems to indicate the '2x perf per watt' statements coming from both team red and green is not unrealistic marketing hype. looks like finfet is taking gpu's further than hbm was expected to.

@psyph3r : amd officially only recognizes 2 versions of gcn with polaris being the third version. they consider everything from tahiti up until fiji as gcn 1 and fiji onwards as gcn 2.
the tech media treats tahiti and bonaire as different gcn versions since bonaire had newer features found on fiji/tonga such as trueaudio/free-sync etc.

p.s. i'm still noticing amd cards being priced higher than their nvidia counterparts such as the r9 380 being pricier than the gtx 960 and the r9 290/390 is more expensive than a gtx 970.
or is it just me?

Last edited:
amd officially only recognizes 2 versions of gcn with polaris being the third version.

Hmm no it says 4th gen GCN in their press release itself.

p.s. i'm still noticing amd cards being priced higher than their nvidia counterparts such as the r9 380 being pricier than the gtx 960 and the r9 290/390 is more expensive than a gtx 970.
or is it just me?

That has always been the case for some reason ever since they launched Hawaii (in India ofc), the last time the prices were on par were during the 7xxx/2xx rebrand days and it was completely the opposite case when the HD 5xxx/6xxx were in the market.

Oh look a relic from the past has arrived, does your vocabulary also consist of terms like sony ponies, xboners and Nintendo wieners ?

Aaand it's live, doesn't look like a half baked attempt like I half-expected either.
http://gpuopen.com/

Just came across this vid, guy pretty much summarised my entire rant about gameworks from the other thread.

Last edited:
I imagine that the next one will be Nvidia's Vsync vs AMD's FreeSync. That is one of the worst things to happen to the gamer community. Nvidia is forcing people to pick a side rather than give them the freedom to play with either because they know that they have better products leaving many to go with their stuff.
If only AMD had better things to offer. Then nvidia wouldn't get to screw around with us. Same goes for Intel's scummy tactics. We have no choice but to go with Intel processors for their superiority.

Back