AMD Dual-Core desktop processor details revealed

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
From Hexus

It's no big secret that AMD is scheduled to launch its dual-core Server and professional workstation Opteron processors later in the year.

However details of what's set to be let loose to hunt down Intel's recently announced Pentium Extreme Edition 840 have, up till now, been well hidden...

HEXUS can exclusively reveal that the CPU is to be named the AMD Athlon 64 X2

It will be available at least in the following models:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

Our source in Greenbriar also confirms that AMD currently has no plans to introduce 'FX' variants of its dual-core desktop processors.

The flagship AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ will have both its cores operating at 2.4GHz, the same frequency as the AMD Athlon 64 4000+, and we'll be surprised if this doesn't r*** the already impressive Pentium Extreme Edition 840 we reviewed here.

http://www.hexus.net/#AMD-dual

Stalkersoftware said:
Well I still have my money on the Pentium Extreme Edition 840. IMO, Its got Intels biggest and best advantage HTT.
we will just have to wait and see ;)
i thought dual core pentiums didnt have hyperthreading.. at least initially.so wouldnt that put amd and intel on a level field ?

Only the dual core extreme edition will have HT. The normal dual core pentiums won't have HT. Infact the only diff now left between the two is lack of HT on the normal pentium D chips. Both run on the same 800 MHz bus and feature a meg of cache for each core.

I think HTT with a dual core chip doesnt serve any practical purpose.HTT enables two logical processors for one physical processor(the way the sw sees it)but if there are two physical processors on the same core,what pupose will HTT serve,splitting the task for four logical processors....while that may have some advantage in servers/rendering stuff ,in gaming or normal use it will be absolutely useless unlike HTT on a single core processor.
Unless u want to run doom3 along with a divx encoder and 3dsmax working in the background. :rofl:

HyperThreading was basically fooling the OS into presenting two virtual CPUs to it, and this was helpful for smoother multi-tasking.
Now that the AMDs have two actual physical cores, you could look at it as a hardware version of HyperThreading! The advantage the P4 once held will be significantly negated now.

Even with the 4 virtual cores that a dual-core P4 EE will have, the 2 physical cores on an Athlon 64 X2 will still be much powerful ! :hap2:

Its a pity AMD isnt adding dual-core to the FX as well !
While their logic is right that Gaming does not benefit from dual-cores but a faster single-core, it seems rather handicapped for someone throwing down such a lot of cash on an FX to be without dual-core.

In fact if at all, the FX should be the chip having something the other Athlon 64s dont have, yet here it seems to be the one missing the fun!

Crazy_Eddy said:
Its a pity AMD isnt adding dual-core to the FX as well !
While their logic is right that Gaming does not benefit from dual-cores but a faster single-core, it seems rather handicapped for someone throwing down such a lot of cash on an FX to be without dual-core.
In fact if at all, the FX should be the chip having something the other Athlon 64s dont have, yet here it seems to be the one missing the fun!

Amd have already planned Athlon FX-63.The processor comes with Dual Cores , a 90nm(nanometer process) , 2MB L2 cache, and a total speed of 4.4GHZ (normal @ 2.2/Core = 2 x 2.2GHZ= 4.4GHZ total)

Sheriff said:
Amd have already planned Athlon FX-63.The processor comes with Dual Cores , a 90nm(nanometer process) , 2MB L2 cache, and a total speed of 4.4GHZ (normal @ 2.2/Core = 2 x 2.2GHZ= 4.4GHZ total)

Where did you know of that? I've never heard of such a thing. Do u work in AMD :bleh: ? The X2 4800 is gonna be 2.4GHz so obviously the FX-whatever if it ever comes out is gonna be more than that duh.

i saw the same thing at abxforums or some place.. do a google search , it will turn up. but most ppl there said that its just a rumour.there was also a quote from amd as well who said that the fx series will be for gamers and based on a single core

Sheriff said:

Yes I remember reading this too.

The processor comes with Dual Cores, a 90nm(nanometer process) , 2MB L2 cache, and a total speed of 4.4GHZ total :eek:hyeah:

Stalkersoftware said:
Yes I remember reading this too.

The processor comes with Dual Cores, a 90nm(nanometer process) , 2MB L2 cache, and a total speed of 4.4GHZ total :eek:hyeah:
you didnt notice this ? :cool2:

The flagship AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ will have both its cores operating at 2.4GHz

LOL there was a really old rumor abt a 2.2 GHz dual core part. I guess the rumor mill automatically gave it the tag of FX-63 :p.

the only problem for gamer is, to invest into X2 or wait. Or get FX-55 as obviously it will become cheap with 4800 becomming a flagship.
Unless game really start utilising the multi processing theere wont be a difference in performance of X2 4800 and 3800.
I think it will be a good time to actiually buy FX-55 cheaper.

Sheriff said:

Our source in Greenbriar also confirms that AMD currently has no plans to introduce 'FX' variants of its dual-core desktop processors.
I've seen many reports all over the place as well with AMD officially stating that the FX procs will remain single-core for now, as it is a gaming oriented part and the fact remains for quite a while to come that *most* games love faster single-procs than dual-procs.
Plus the other theory holds good too that an X2 4800+ will have 2 cores at 2.4Ghz for a total of 4.8Ghz, much more than the rumoured FX-63's total of 4.4Ghz

Funkymonkey said:
Unless game really start utilising the multi processing theere wont be a difference in performance of X2 4800 and 3800.
I think it will be a good time to actiually buy FX-55 cheaper
Any clue on estimated prices of the X2s?

Back