Graphic Cards AMD goes MANTLE!

AMD has announced low level API for working with GCN(Graphic Core Next) GPUs.
Traditionally high level API like OpenGL and Direct3D are used by developers, which provides abstraction from underneath hardware. So, code developed using high level API will work on all( AMD, intel, NVIDIA) hardware.
As per speculations by anandtech.com, AMD can very well exploit it's console connection to deliver better performance for PC games. AMD has added new low level API called 'Mantle' that interacts directly with the hardware(GCN core), enabling better performance as no intermediate layer is present. AMD GPU on PC also have GCN, so same code(from console) can be easily ported to run on pc with Mantel API. However, that code won't directly work on other(intel, NVIDIA) hardware. In order to use Mantle for PC, AMD will use FROSBITE 3 instead of DirectX.
If AMD really exploit's Mantle on PC, surely games will run much faster on AMD cards than NVIDIA and intel counterpart.

Correct me if wrong.

For more:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7371/understanding-amds-mantle-a-lowlevel-graphics-api-for-gcn
Advantages
Up to 9 times more draw calls than comparable API's.
More fine control over the hardware.
All hardware capabilities are exposed through the API.

Disadvantages
Unsupported on products from other vendors (NVIDIA, Intel, etc.) until those vendors add support themselves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(GPU_API)

Even if this is just a speculation, lets see what we have to say about it.
Is AMD too aggressive/Mental or right to exploit it's console connection?
What does this means for NVIDIA?

Last edited:
If this Mantle API is the native programming API for the consoles as well, then AMD has hit a home run. If not, this will slowly die a death similar to glide.

We'll know more at AMD Developer Day in November what the deal with mantle is. Until then, it is a guessing game.

Also just read the Frostbite comment - that is inaccurate - frostbite is a game engine - DX11 is an api to write an engine. Frostbite can't replace DX11 :p. Mantle can however replace DX11 for AMD GCN GPUs. Frostbite 3 is the first game engine to suppor the Mantle API.

Last edited:
If this Mantle API is the native programming API for the consoles as well, then AMD has hit a home run. If not, this will slowly die a death similar to glide.

We'll know more at AMD Developer Day in November what the deal with mantle is. Until then, it is a guessing game.

I am guessing that it would be available through the consoles SDKs as an option if not the defacto target API. I wouldn't even be surprised if the console SDKs themselves are designed to do most of the dirty work using the new API.

Considering that both XBOX One and PS4 use AMD's tech, I think AMD is in an unique position here.

Back