Graphic Cards AMD HD7XXX Discussion Thread

Re: 7970 Overclocked Sapphire Models - upcoming 6gb model

We'll have to start using 'ghz' to measure frequencies from now on. D:

6GB is a waste really.

EDIT: WTF WTF WTF!

ATOMIC versions have 1335 MHz CORE WTF!

more than 400Mhz over present gen cards. :S Lets see if it performs as good as it looks on paper.

@ that core clocks, if Sapphire had upped the memory to say 6.2GHz(easily achievable as reviews show, highest was 6.8GHz ZOMG!) I think this HD7970 ATOMIC would be nearly 50% faster than stock.

A friend is thinking about a gpu and it seemed odd to get a 550$ 7970 if nvidia release something faster in 3 months or so, he is even willing to wait longer there is no game forcing him to upgrade.

A friend is thinking about a gpu and it seemed odd to get a 550$ 7970 if nvidia release something faster in 3 months or so, he is even willing to wait longer there is no game forcing him to upgrade.

The point is no ones sure, nVidia itself has not released dates as to when Tegra based chips will start flowing in enough nos. that it'll be able to start delivering them into the market, rumors abound of low yields from the first silicon wafers put in fabrication.

Also the last time this happened, the nVidia GTX 4** series was ~ 4 months late in the coming and all the cards reinforced that the Fermi chip was not fully matured, the power draw and corresponding performance was not justified. So nVidia had to wait for the GTX 5** series release to fully capitalize on the power of the Fermi architecture.

Yea you are right man, if you have the money to get a card just get 7xxx it seems, im getting the feeling wont be seeing nvidias card till july-aug. Around that time I guess ATI release their 7990 to take back fastest gpu crown and then sometime before the holiday period (december) the dual gpu nvidia card should be here.

The point is no ones sure, nVidia itself has not released dates as to when Tegra based chips will start flowing in enough nos. that it'll be able to start delivering them into the market, rumors abound of low yields from the first silicon wafers put in fabrication.

Also the last time this happened, the nVidia GTX 4** series was ~ 4 months late in the coming and all the cards reinforced that the Fermi chip was not fully matured, the power draw and corresponding performance was not justified. So nVidia had to wait for the GTX 5** series release to fully capitalize on the power of the Fermi architecture.

Tegra = mobile chips. I assume you meant Kepler? GTX 480 came some 6 months after HD 5870. Won't be surprised if the same happens this gen. And remember they announced Fermi around the same time as HD 5870 release, 6 months before actual GTX 480 release. This time, we have heard zilch.

^^ True, true but the new architecture for Kepler chips is Tegra if I'm not wrong, thanks for correcting it is Kepler, my mistake apologies fellows.

^^ True, true but the new architecture for Kepler chips is Tegra if I'm not wrong, thanks for correcting it is Kepler, my mistake apologies fellows.

Just to clarify, the name of the architecture is Kepler. Tegra has nothing to do with GPUs - it is branding for mobile SoCs. Most of the Android tablets are powered by Tegra 2, Asus Transformer Prime is Tegra 3. Nothing to do with GeForce.

7950 is releasing on jan 31st + the first kepler GK-104 gpu that is faster than GTX 580 costing 399$ rumoured to release on the same day
<

http://videocardz.com/30251/radeon-hd-7950-to-be-released-on-january-31st

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25519-radeon-hd-7950-comes-on-january-31st

Back