AMD Polaris RX480 officially launched starting at $199. Will be available from June 29.

PRICE CUT!
RX 480 4GB variant will now cost 20,990rs and the 8GB will now cost 22,990rs.
WHAAA! the unimaginable has happened! distributors reducing prices! amazing! (...and yes, i did just flip my wig!)

1060 effect. Even then, 1060 looks like a good bet.
Yup.. 1060 gives 10-15% more performance than the 480..

true but i'll definitely go for the 480 now even with the 10-15% deficit.
i remember the 7970 had a similar deficit against the 760 but driver improvements over time have given it the lead against even the 770.
but that's just me as i don't play enough to warrant an annual upgrade of the gpu. i look at it over a 3 year ownership period.

Yup.. 1060 gives 10-15% more performance than the 480..
That maybe so but now the RX 480 still gives a good value on the money and that is exactly what AMD had always aimed for and has now possibly achieved. Before this the GTX 1060 owned them hard in both pricing and performance. And many AMD fans were also forced to go the GTX 1060 way. But as they say being late is better than never. Also remember that the RX480 was launched before the GTX 1060. And at least now we have options and AMD fans can rejoice.
Lol! Really? That big of a correction ?
It had to be that or death!
I don't know why they had to price it so high in the first place but its good they learned that the consumers are not so stupid.
That said the RX 480 4GB is the best VFM of them for 1080p gaming.
Competition can come from pre-owned GTX 970 3.5GB :p but that too only if its priced at or under 15k. Sucks for sellers but good for people looking for a cheap SLI upgrade.

my 2 cents -

1st cent - Matching with 970 isnt enough for the current Indian price, but the power consumption beats it - Since my rig covers for all the power requirement, it doesnt matter.
2nd cent - Release of 1060 will kick in AMD price cut competition. :) they always do it.
Someone said this long back in this thread :)

Game changer.

This makes even the GTX 1070 and 1080 obsolete for those who are comfortable with investing in Crossfire setups.
One can buy 2x 480s for the same price as a single 1070 and get performance equal to or greater than a 1080.

This makes even the GTX 1070 and 1080 obsolete for those who are comfortable with investing in Crossfire setups.
One can buy 2x 480s for the same price as a single 1070 and get performance equal to or greater than a 1080.
No. You got it wrong. The RX 480 CFX lags behind in a multitude of games. And also dual GPU do not scale well due to poor developer support. Thus RX 480 is not a viable option.
Besides the 2x RX 480 will either cost the same or more than a single GTX 1070 depending on how the partners price their non-FE cards.
And keeping performance aside, a single card>SLI/CFX. Always. Any day.
If you want to buy an RX 480 get only one card. Else go for the GTX 1070. For 1080p it won't matter, much.

No. You got it wrong. The RX 480 CFX lags behind in a multitude of games. And also dual GPU do not scale well due to poor developer support. Thus RX 480 is not a viable option.
as of now this is correct, however, rumors indicate that the rx 490 could possibly be a dual-gpu solution i.e. 2 480's on a single pcb.
if that's the case then perhaps amd has something up it's sleeve to counter the downsides of xfire.
pure speculation of course but just thought i'd throw that out there.

but that's just me as i don't play enough to warrant an annual upgrade of the gpu. i look at it over a 3 year ownership period.
I also believe in upgrading my GPU once in 3 years.. I'm still running a GTX660 at the moment.. :p

That maybe so but now the RX 480 still gives a good value on the money and that is exactly what AMD had always aimed for and has now possibly achieved. Before this the GTX 1060 owned them hard in both pricing and performance. And many AMD fans were also forced to go the GTX 1060 way. But as they say being late is better than never. Also remember that the RX480 was launched before the GTX 1060. And at least now we have options and AMD fans can rejoice.

Do consider that the 1060 provides the performance advantage while consuming less power and hence generating less heat..

Game changer.

Check this out and imagine the power consumption when you use 2x 480s compared to a single nvidia card..

22-Overview-Gaming.png

as of now this is correct, however, rumors indicate that the rx 490 could possibly be a dual-gpu solution i.e. 2 480's on a single pcb.
if that's the case then perhaps amd has something up it's sleeve to counter the downsides of xfire.

Well, its not like the first time AMD has released cards with dual GPU on the same PCB. It brings nothing new to the table. The only advantage of such a solution is saving space and the need for less PCI-E power connectors. The trade off is the performance loss compared to two independent cards put in crossfire. It does not ensure better cross fire scaling or anything else like that.

Don't forget the "Ti" variants which are likely to come after AMD releases their other cards.
Epic GPUs battles in history! Who won! Who's next!

Last edited:
Back