AMD Polaris RX480 officially launched starting at $199. Will be available from June 29.

A single slot 480 looks doable going by the TDP and PCB size, personally I'm looking forward to one of those twin frozr/strix/toxic variants from MSI, Asus and Sapphire respectively.
What's the deal with XFX these days ? few years back they kind of retreated from the Indian market, around the time they went AMD exclusive only. The last product I owned from them was the 8800GT alpha dog edition which served me pretty well.

8441c413dcc1a73346ee7eb8d9a996c3_L.jpg

Sapphire-RX480details-1.jpg

Sapphire-RX480details-2.jpg

Sapphire-RX480details-3.jpg

Sapphire-RX480details-4.jpg

Last edited:
The card hardly keeps up with an over clocked GTX 970 or a normal clocked one. The power consumption is almost equal to a GTX 1080. Now this is something which I wasn't expecting at least it should have beaten GTX 970. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview/4
[DOUBLEPOST=1467272229][/DOUBLEPOST]Many people are complaining about overheating & more (than the mentioned) power drawing issues. Currently its not that impressive.

Last edited:
The card hardly keeps up with an over clocked GTX 970 or a normal clocked one. The power consumption is almost equal to a GTX 1080. Now this is something which I wasn't expecting at least it should have beaten GTX 970. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview/4
[DOUBLEPOST=1467272229][/DOUBLEPOST]Many people are complaining about overheating & more (than the mentioned) power drawing issues. Currently its not that impressive.

Dunno what you're talking about, it does beat the 980 in some benches and seems to be trailing behind in most of the Gimpworks games.
Power draw isn't that much, temps are slightly higher because of the blower type cooler because it's reference, who buys reference cards anyways ?
You need to check multiple reviews for hardware and most of em have the general consensus of it being a good vfm option, performance per watt/$ is key here.

it's dx12 performance looks pretty ahead of the 970 and aib's are reporting clocks of 1.4-1.6 ghz.
also going by how the 7970 has aged i don't think it's a bad gpu at all.
i'll admit the 1070 is great value given it's performance.
but i think the 480's real value is for those who don't have big $ to shell out for the high-end (or in my case not worth the expense as i have bills to pay :D)
we're either stuck with sad mid-range cards like the 380 and 960. (admittedly due to bad gpu pricing here)
basically i think the overall effect of amd's move is beyond a new gpu. for e.g. a colleague of mine found someone selling a used 980 for 22k.
personally, i love this because now i can upgrade both my gpu and monitor rather than only the gpu.

The card is trading punches with a card that is one tier above as well as much more expensive.
Look at multiple reviews as the Anand tech one is not a in depth one.
As to heat and noise wait for the Sapphire non reference designs as AMD reference boards have always been a bit behind the custom designs.
As to the power draw both guru3d and techpowerup (who have provided in depth reviews BTW) have rated the card comparable to the 970.

I have a 770 right now but the 1070 is way too expensive for me and I am looking hard at the 480 once the initial hype pricing stabilizes.

my 2 cents -

1st cent - Matching with 970 isnt enough for the current Indian price, but the power consumption beats it - Since my rig covers for all the power requirement, it doesnt matter.
2nd cent - Release of 1060 will kick in AMD price cut competition. :) they always do it.

my 2 cents -

1st cent - Matching with 970 isnt enough for the current Indian price, but the power consumption beats it - Since my rig covers for all the power requirement, it doesnt matter.
2nd cent - Release of 1060 will kick in AMD price cut competition. :) they always do it.
If they release 1060 which trounces the 480 Nvidia will be cannibalizing the sales of the 1070.
If they try to reduce the 1070 price to kill the 480 it will be tougher for them as the die size of the 1070 is around 1.7 times that of the 480 which means that AMD can produce larger number of cards to offset the production cost.
For us consumers the situation is getting interesting as no matter who trounces whom we come out to be the winner with the best bang for our buck.
This is the best case scenario where there is competition in the market instead of the monopoly that Intel has.

If they release 1060 which trounces the 480 Nvidia will be cannibalizing the sales of the 1070.
I believe, 1060 will be priced at the range of 25 to 30K and might perform on par with 480 and 970. This covers the mid range for Nvidia. There wont be any price cut schemes from Nvidia since they are already dominating the high end (seem to continue that was this release) and do not really need any more penetration of 1070 which it already has with 1080 being priced for the enthusiasts (only) - just like the 980TI/Titan.

LOL I was away for a while because of GoT spoilers and came back just in time to hear that the RX480 is priced at 28999 excluding taxes?
But both GoT and RX480 Indian pricing share a common feature: they are both disappointing.

Dunno what you're talking about, it does beat the 980 in some benches and seems to be trailing behind in most of the Gimpworks games.
Power draw isn't that much, temps are slightly higher because of the blower type cooler because it's reference, who buys reference cards anyways ?
You need to check multiple reviews for hardware and most of em have the general consensus of it being a good vfm option, performance per watt/$ is key here.
& to all TE guys over here. I respect everyone's views but please don't follow the review sites only.
Actually I don't follow review sites much. (Review sites cannot give you a complete picture due to various reasons.)
I would suggest also go for consumer reviews too. Those who have bought the card like some people in this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240468&page=17 However it will be a long read but its worth it to make a general idea.

Indian pricing is of course shit, it was (majority of the time) & it will be so. Living in a third world is a sin for these type of things.
(Even if we forget the double pricing, look at the dollar value its not coming down)

Last edited:
Back