AMD Polaris RX480 officially launched starting at $199. Will be available from June 29.

Its exceeding the PCIe standard power draw specs by a lot.. Combine it with high temps under load and Indian climate, it might end up in frying the motherboard..

https://community.amd.com/thread/202410
Yes this issue is completely intolerable in countries like india. Where hardwares prices are double or more than double.That guy had 2 pcie slots, what with people having only one? In that case he has to change the mobo. They should address these issues fast.

Not sure but....
4AGlgzh.jpg

Last edited:
Both sites are rubbish, they're basically like celebrity gossip hotspots but for hardware. WCCFtech especially has the most toxic comments section, it was actually good in the first few months with insightful comments from people who actually knew what they were talking about but now it's just memes and fanboy wars.
Anyways, rumors and leaks are always to be taken with a spoonful of salt, this is just stalling potential 480 customers to wait for the 1060.

I miss the good old days when you could buy the top of the line GPU for 13k (ATI 4890) :/

HD4890 was more of a mid range card. AMD's strategy at the time was to focus on mid range than being king of the hill. People were supposed to crossfire to get the high end fix.

As for RX480, performance looks in line with what I expected which makes it great value for money at least outside India. It is definitely not as exceptional as some people made it out to be even before the release, but it is in line with what is expected of a new iteration.

Still the PCI-E spec non-compliance issue is an important one if its true. They should have gone with a 8 Pin power connector and balanced out the load so that power drain from the slot is always within spec.

75W + 9% = 81.75W the absolute max limit as per standards including the tolerance threshold, but based on pcper analysis it seems to be going beyond to 85~86W when the total power consumption hits 165W+.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480

Drawing above spec from the PCI-E can definitely be dangerous especially on the sub $200 motherboards without stellar power delivery designs. Hoping that the manufacturers will resolve the problem with their custom designs for this GPU. I guess its more of a marketing issue than a design issue (AMD wanted to market it as a 150W card) and could be addressed by designing the cards to use a single 8 pin power connector.

Last edited:
^^ Don't expect much on the price front whether its AMD or nvidia. I expected that $200 for the RX480 would be translated to about 27k and that is what happened. GTX1070 was priced unexpectedly cheaper than I thought. I thought it would be priced closer to the 45k mark, but they price it around 37~40k. I expect the GTX1060 would also be around the 30~32k.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10465/amd-releases-statement-on-radeon-rx-480-power-consumption

As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016).

So I went to CTC in hyderbad and talked to some dealers. Most of them confirmed the prices and said that even with that inflated prices, rx480 will be in short supply. Why does AMD even bother bringing their cards here?

I also asked them why there are only nivida cards in most shops and they replied that its because nvidia pays them more margins than AMD. AMD cards were almost non existent in the whole area

So I went to CTC in hyderbad and talked to some dealers. Most of them confirmed the prices and said that even with that inflated prices, rx480 will be in short supply. Why does AMD even bother bringing their cards here?

I also asked them why there are only nivida cards in most shops and they replied that its because nvidia pays them more margins than AMD. AMD cards were almost non existent in the whole area

Makes sense. The whole previous generation GTX 970 vs R9 390/390x, the AMD cards were ~8k higher and never had good availability. GTX 970 was always the more economical and logical card in that range. Your explanation makes sense.

Sigh AMD!

So basically this is the final nail on their coffin on the "AMD Vs Nvidia" here in the country?
Also anyone else think the inflated price is because AMD India distris don't want to reduce the price of the older gen cards (aka not suffer ANY loss) even if they are to phase them out?

There are no AMD India distributors for graphics cards. There are only MSI, Asus, Gigabyte etc distributors. Earlier, there at least used to be separate set of OEM's for nvidia and AMD GPU's, but these days, the same big name OEMs sell the cards equipped with either GPU. Further inflated prices is a common trend for both AMD and nvidia cards. Distributors in India just don't follow the global pricing. they just price them whatever they want. While its possible that AMD cards may have even more inflated prices than nvidia cards, its the same distributors doing it.

Regarding the PCI-E power draw issue, I would rather that OEM's release the custom cards with 8 PIN connectors than just rely on AMD's drivers which I guess would be doing nothing more than throttling the performance so that power draw does not exceed 150W total.

Last edited:
Yeah the extra power draw crashes from the motherboard is mainly noticeable if using a cheapish Motherboard. Also heard this will make the Motherboard go kaput sooner.
Would wait for the second iteration of this card.

There are no AMD India distributors for graphics cards. There are only MSI, Asus, Gigabyte etc distributors. Earlier, there at least used to be separate set of OEM's for nvidia and AMD GPU's, but these days, the same big name OEMs sell the cards equipped with either GPU. Further inflated prices is a common trend for both AMD and nvidia cards. Distributors in India just don't follow the global pricing. they just price them whatever they want. While its possible that AMD cards may have even more inflated prices than nvidia cards, its the same distributors doing it.

Regarding the PCI-E power draw issue, I would rather that OEM's release the custom cards with 8 PIN connectors than just rely on AMD's drivers which I guess would be doing nothing more than throttling the performance so that power draw does not exceed 150W total.

Good point. But the inflated prices are not uniform for Nvidia vs AMD. Otherwise you would have seen similar price levels for GTX 970 and R9 390 (overpriced by ~30% uniformly?). But since that is not the case (in my experience), I wonder whats the issue. One could be lower quantity of AMD products being sold in India, which basically is a vicious circle...

@ Overlord yes that's what I meant.
As for the power issue if its a hardware issue i don't think that a software issue will fix it reliably. I'm skeptical. By "cheap" motherboard models what exactly are they referring to? Boards like the H61/H81 chipset for example? or higher? though I don't expect any of us here to use such models with the RX480.

Last edited:
^^ Its not the chip set used, but depends on how robust the motherboard power delivery design is. Even a budget Z170 board could encounter problems when power draw goes out of spec. The software fix would be mostly throttling the card to stay within specs which is quite logical IMO. Any performance lost can be recovered though other driver optimizations.

Another option for the manufacturers is use a 8 Pin PCI-E to work around the 150W limit, but then the question is would AMD drivers still be holding back the performance.

Back