Graphic Cards AMD RX 480 Reviews

You can clearly see from the game benches it's a re-branded/rebadged R390 , just like the R390 was a rebadged 290X. All that hype about it being more powerful than a GTX 980 was fluff and no "new drivers" is ever going to fix that.

It was never meant to compete with the GTX 980 and in most cases the 970 still edges it out, Seems like AMD is in competition with itself and not Nvidia.

Still the RX 480 has the latest technologies and 8GB of ram for newer games that require that much headroom, And it's priced very nicely. Oh well onto the RX 490 hypetrain!

You can clearly see from the game benches it's a re-branded/rebadged R390 , just like the R390 was a rebadged 290X. All that hype about it being more powerful than a GTX 980 was fluff and no "new drivers" is ever going to fix that

I'm not sure if I have read a more ignorant post before.

Can you please explain to me how a 28 nm card, be sold as a 14 nm card if it's a rebrand?

Also, have you seen the power consumption differences?

Performance wise, they are pretty comparable. Regarding power consumption, there are some things which are not very encouraging.

There’s no doubt that Polaris is more efficient than its predecessors. However, the design's efficiency isn't what enthusiasts might have been hoping for. The Radeon RX 480 significantly exceeds its official TDP. Moreover, distribution between the motherboard’s PCIe slot and the auxiliary power connector isn't optimal either. It’s up to AMD’s partners to design cards without these shortcomings.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

Hopefully the aftermarket variations will improve things, but they will also cost more.

You can clearly see from the game benches it's a re-branded/rebadged R390 , just like the R390 was a rebadged 290X. All that hype about it being more powerful than a GTX 980 was fluff and no "new drivers" is ever going to fix that.

It was never meant to compete with the GTX 980 and in most cases the 970 still edges it out, Seems like AMD is in competition with itself and not Nvidia.

Still the RX 480 has the latest technologies and 8GB of ram for newer games that require that much headroom, And it's priced very nicely. Oh well onto the RX 490 hypetrain!

Rebranded/Rebadged 390??? What are you smoking??

Rebranded/Rebadged 390??? What are you smoking??

Despite its new architecture, there are hardly any improvements in game benchmarks compared to the last year's R9 390. Lets get real here, nobody gives a shit about synthetic benchmarks. In-fact it's FPS variance is horrible, it's failed PCI spec makes it a power sucker and temps going thru the roof and touching 94C during overclocking, Now these are reference boards and we'll see what happens when the AIB cards are out. But, For the hype it created it's close to beating a 970 but not quite 980 level yet ...and those cards are 2 years old . Not only that, it costs a retarded amount of money here so anyone with a comparable card looking to upgrade would rather put in 10k and get a GTX 1070 or even a 1060 whenever that comes out.

Despite its new architecture, there are hardly any improvements in game benchmarks compared to the last year's R9 390. Lets get real here, nobody gives a shit about synthetic benchmarks. In-fact it's FPS variance is horrible, it's failed PCI spec makes it a power sucker and temps going thru the roof and touching 94C during overclocking, Now these are reference boards and we'll see what happens when the AIB cards are out. But, For the hype it created it's close to beating a 970 but not quite 980 level yet ...and those cards are 2 years old . Not only that it's costs a retarded amount of money here so anyone with a comparable card looking to upgrade would rather put in 10k and get a GTX 1070 or even a 1060 whenever that comes out.

well I would agree with you that yes on game benchmarks they aren't an improvement over last years 390. But you would have to say the same for the say 970 than when released as almost similar to the 780Ti in performance but with better thermals and lower power consumption. Over time, maxwell optimizations have pulled it away from the 780Ti now in benchmarks.

I would say similarly, getting 390 performance for a lesser price, better thermals (this is subjective but I blame the reference cooler. Wait for AIB cards which would improve them a lot) and much lower power consumption is an improvement.

Only issue is the hype created over by some sites/leaked benchmarks and AMD fans that have made the performance expectation to exceed the 980. Pretty sure that is creating the disappointment here.

Back