CPU/Mobo AMD Ryzen CPUs launched

But earlier I had set my CPU up to 3.3 ghz auto-OC (didn't try more) and my standard 2133 RAM went up to 2400 (this was when the unstable reboots were still happening) but would not boot any higher than 2400.
Did you increased Ram voltage from stock in bios?
Your random crashes are due to ram configurations, some boards can not boot anything higher than stock settings some can do 3000+ like crossair hero.

Did you increased Ram voltage from stock in bios?
Your random crashes are due to ram configurations, some boards can not boot anything higher than stock settings some can do 3000+ like crossair hero.

The point here is, I dont think people will want to spend 20k to get my ram to run at 2933mhz, I am sure the B350 chip-set is capable of doing 3000mhz (advertised OC 3200mhz). This is key because the infinity fabric that communicated between the CCXs benefits greatly from increases ram speeds. A few folks on YT have got it upto 2933mhz, was hoping @vishalrao could do the same.

The point here is, I dont think people will want to spend 20k to get my ram to run at 2933mhz, I am sure the B350 chip-set is capable of doing 3000mhz (advertised OC 3200mhz).
Every chipset has its limitations, if it weren't then x370 would be selling at B350 price. Point is to embrace the limitations of hardware and make it work inside it. Yes 350 chipset can get you 3k freq on ram if your IMC is capable of doing it, see the limitations of hardware?
Current R7 processor's
on average can't do more than 2400, those which do, need relaxed timings on better board.

@jhononweed Yup, I had earlier tried increasing the voltage of RAM and SOC, and also "relaxed" the timings but not after this latest update which fixed my crashing issues. I'm not inclined to OC anything really so probably won't try bumping things up again. I had managed to boot my 2133 RAM at 2400 speed earlier but not more.

@Jasku the 2933 speeds you mentioned I guess people with higher rated speed RAM like 2600 to 3200 or more were able to pull off. I could only manage 2400 with my 2133 rated kit earlier. Agreed, yes, if you pay for high performance RAM like 3200 then you should expect it to work at full speed and maybe with some OC headroom.

I guess everyone will be waiting and watching for further BIOS updates as AMD has mentioned in their community post update that we can expect to come next month which should further improve the RAM speed/stability situation.

And yes, by now it has become common knowledge that ideal RAM speed is 3200 (and maybe more) for the inter-CCX infinity data fabric communication performance benefit to be optimal. But I don't really care too much for squeezing out that extra bit of performance, so I'm OK with plain old 2133 standard RAM spec on standard 1700 CPU clocks :D

Every chipset has its limitations, if it weren't then x370 would be selling at B350 price. Point is to embrace the limitations of hardware and make it work inside it. Yes 350 chipset can get you 3k freq on ram if your IMC is capable of doing it, see the limitations of hardware?
Current R7 processor's
on average can't do more than 2400, those which do, need relaxed timings on better board.

We arent really comparing chipsets here, the point is that the B350 is capable of running ram at 3200mhz, and that is all I expect. Also, relaxing the timing at GT 2666mhz doesnt impact performance as much, its the higher speeds that benefits gaming.

@jhononweed Yup, I had earlier tried increasing the voltage of RAM and SOC, and also "relaxed" the timings but not after this latest update which fixed my crashing issues. I'm not inclined to OC anything really so probably won't try bumping things up again. I had managed to boot my 2133 RAM at 2400 speed earlier but not more.

@Jasku the 2933 speeds you mentioned I guess people with higher rated speed RAM like 2600 to 3200 or more were able to pull off. I could only manage 2400 with my 2133 rated kit earlier. Agreed, yes, if you pay for high performance RAM like 3200 then you should expect it to work at full speed and maybe with some OC headroom.

I guess everyone will be waiting and watching for further BIOS updates as AMD has mentioned in their community post update that we can expect to come next month which should further improve the RAM speed/stability situation.

And yes, by now it has become common knowledge that ideal RAM speed is 3200 (and maybe more) for the inter-CCX infinity data fabric communication performance benefit to be optimal. But I don't really care too much for squeezing out that extra bit of performance, so I'm OK with plain old 2133 standard RAM spec on standard 1700 CPU clocks :D

Yes @vishalrao , I am totally confused, whether to go for the 1700, or the 7700k, leaning towards R7 purely cause of emotions, Intel will probably give me plug n play performance. Anyways please keep the updates going, extremely helpful and encouraging.

We arent really comparing chipsets here, the point is that the B350 is capable of running ram at 3200mhz, and that is all I expect. Also, relaxing the timing at GT 2666mhz doesnt impact performance as much, its the higher speeds that benefits gaming.
It is capable of doing that but expecting 2133 to hit ~3k is hard even on Intel.

I was Eagerly waiting for Ryzen and finally ordered my stuff..

Ordered from Newegg and expected to Arrive on this monday
Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming K7
G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Kit (8Gb x2)
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Hope everything goes well as based on the reviews on the Internet Gigabyte motherboards are able to run the Rams on 3200Hz

Ryzen 5 1600 - 16,700 (Including Shipping from Prime ABGB)

Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming K7 - Rs 13,488
G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Kit (8Gb x2) - Rs 7,387
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB - Rs 7,065

Plus i paid Rs 6,962 for Shipping + Customs.

So how does one decide between the R5 1600/1600x and the R7/1700 ? Base clock speeds ? TDP ? Cooler ? For a person who plans to overclock and who doesnt plan to overclock ?

For context, planning to upgrade from 5 yr-old i5 2500k, primarily for gaming purpose. So while any of the above 3 should suffice, whats the sweet point ?

So how does one decide between the R5 1600/1600x and the R7/1700 ? Base clock speeds ? TDP ? Cooler ? For a person who plans to overclock and who doesnt plan to overclock ?

For context, planning to upgrade from 5 yr-old i5 2500k, primarily for gaming purpose. So while any of the above 3 should suffice, whats the sweet point ?
Firsty, its about your requirements, if it's only gaming the, R5 1600 is the sweet spot, if you are willing to spend additional or have productivity needs go for R7 1700. I don't see any reason to got for the Xs. With both these option you will get a stock cooler that will let you go upto 3.7-3.8 ghz. You can push to about 3.9 and lower Temps with an aftermarket cooler.

Firsty, its about your requirements, if it's only gaming the, R5 1600 is the sweet spot, if you are willing to spend additional or have productivity needs go for R7 1700. I don't see any reason to got for the Xs. With both these option you will get a stock cooler that will let you go upto 3.7-3.8 ghz. You can push to about 3.9 and lower Temps with an aftermarket cooler.

I agree with this.. I did Assemble my Rig Yesterday night and it is working flawlessly. My Ryzen 1600 is running on 3.7 Ghz on all cores overclocked on the Stock AMD cooler and surprisingly it is super Silent.

I was able to run my Ram at 2933 Mhz for now and i am sure with newer BIOS updates i will be able to run it at 3200 Mhz.

Gigabyte Aorus mother board looks stunningly Beautiful :)

n6rzkp-3.png

I agree with this.. I did Assemble my Rig Yesterday night and it is working flawlessly. My Ryzen 1600 is running on 3.7 Ghz on all cores overclocked on the Stock AMD cooler and surprisingly it is super Silent.

I was able to run my Ram at 2933 Mhz for now and i am sure with newer BIOS updates i will be able to run it at 3200 Mhz.

n6rzkp-3.png
Congrats on your new build, I am surprised to how you were willing to risk buying the motherboard from the US, given the mobo is probably the most complex piece of hardware and multiple things could go wrong. How long did the shipping take?

n6rzkp-3.png
Pics please

Back